HybridZ

Note to self: DO NOT drop tranny on hand! Pic inside.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I was doing some work on my wife's Z, getting ready to clean up the engine bay. I had already loosened the motor mount bolts and was in the process of loosening one of the tranny crossmember bolts, after which I was going to put a jack under the tranny and loosen the other bolt.

Well it turns out the other bolt was already loose, so as soon as I got the bolt loose, the tranny fell on my hand. It pinned my hand between itself and the concrete, and at first I just kind of layed there like "Okay, this hurts". Then I reached under the car with my right hand and lifted the tranny up enough to allow me to slide my hand out.

My knuckles are swelling as we speak, and my hand is throbbing like crazy. Hopefully nothing's broken and I can get back to work tomorrow.

I have a white spot in the center of one of the main abrasions where the sking it just WHITE and has no feeling at all. I guess all the blood got mashed out of it.

I can't wait to see the bruise in full color, lol.

smashed_hand.jpg

Jesus! I hope most of that is just grease and not bruising!

Im like you though, I wont see a doctor until I have to! My girlfriends see's all the cuts and scrapes on my hands and arms and wonders how I dont get infections! I say its because I protect the cuts with "fresh grease" LOL! She doesnt think its as funny as I do!

Guy

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
Jesus! I hope most of that is just grease and not bruising!

That was AFTER I cleaned it (w/ spray lubricant). It is indeed a bruise.

I figure at least a couple hundred pounds of weight hit my hand, because the engine and tranny were attached and I had already undone the motor mounts, so the whole engine/tranny combo tilted downward and slammed on my hand.

I can barely move my hand right now and my knuckles are swollen smooth.

I'm sure it'll be fine in the morning. ;)

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I have ice on it right now, and I took some anti-inflammatory pills.

I'm self-employed and don't have med. ins., so I'll just "walk it off".

It's probably just a bruise and maybe a popped vein or two. I'm sure the tendons are bruised, but I don't think it's broken. I've broken a hand before and it feels different than this. All my fingers work fine, they're just stiff and it hurts to move them.

If I go to a doc, they'll just bandage it up, then I'll have to take it off when I finish pulling the motor tomorrow.

Thanks for the concern, though. ;)

Guest tony78_280z

We have a saying, the job isn't done until someone sacrifices some blood. I supose there are voodoo automotive gods or something, but he likes for you to scrape a nuckle, smash a finger or simply cut yourself and loose some blood before the days work is done. If you are suprised with the easy of a job, count the drops of blood that were sacrificed, more than likely you appeased the automotive deity. If you finished your work, and have yet to bleed, look out. Something is about to go wronge.

You must have realy pissed off this deity!

Your wife has a Z? Dang, what a woman! She got a sister?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
Your wife has a Z? Dang, what a woman! She got a sister?

No sisters. :(

My wife's Z is the only Z we have. The one pictured in my sig. She's a Z-nut. She even wears a "Datsun Z" pin on her work uniform every day.

She doesn't look like a gearhead, does she?

wedding.jpg

Guest tony78_280z

Whos lap is she sittin in =) Whoever he is, I think he is pitchin a tent and tryin to hide it under that plate!! - LOL

[dramatic pause]

Wait a second!! If it's HER Z, then why aint SHE got some busted knuckles and stuff? I'd say you earned the Z through sweat and blood.

Ouch:shock: I'd say chaulk up one sacrifice to the car deitys. As far as the hand goes pain is what lets us know we are still alive. As far as the pictures goes pitchin a wood with a beautiful girl on your lap lets us know we are still straight. Unless you are thinking about your z then your just obessed like me. :twisted:

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
Whos lap is she sittin in =) Whoever he is' date=' I think he is pitchin a tent and tryin to hide it under that plate!! - LOL

Wait a second!! If it's HER Z, then why aint SHE got some busted knuckles and stuff? I'd say you earned the Z through sweat and blood.[/quote']

She works on the car, too, but tonight she was at work and I was trying to surprise her by yanking the motor out and cleaning up the engine bay. She's not a bit afraid to get her hands dirty, and she has even done tranny swaps by herself. She can HAVE the Z. I have my own projects. I don't know if any of them will be able to keep up with a turboed/nitroused V8 Z, though. :(

pitchin a wood with a beautiful girl on your lap lets us know we are still straight

LMAO! It's not "wood", damnit! :)

They were new swimming trunks and they were all stiff and wrinkly, hence the wad in the "package-ital area". That was our wedding day... we got married on the beach.

As for the hand, it's still swollen, purple, and hard to move, but I think it'll be fine.

This thread has really cheered me up :)

Yeah we know what cheered you up........post #10!;):D

My GF likes cars too but she loves old Vettes. That will most likely be my next project. An old Stingray with an LS1/T56. Of couse she will be helping with the funding of that project!

Guy