HybridZ

R200 from "late model skyline" parts

zguitar71

I have an R200 4.38 clutch LSD from a late model skyline but I do not know the date or model. I think my pinion gears in the lsd are shot. It makes a whining niose from around 20mph on up no matter if I am accelerating decelerating or cruising. The LSD still hooks up well so I do not think it is the friction disks. I have been trying to find the parts for this differential but no one can seem to help me with out knowing the exact model it came from. So far the model HR32 and 33 have the 12mm LSD unite number 38420-rs660 according to Courtesy Nissan. That is the same as the 300zxt unite and the first ten numbers for the pinion gear part number are the same but the skyline part has 3 extra number added after the usual ten numbers. I asked Courtesy if the pinions were the same for all the 12mm clutch LSD R200 diffs but they did not know and are hesitant to sell me parts for an Unknown differential.

Does anyone know if the parts from the 12m.m. Japanese R200 and the 12m.m. 300zxt are innerchangeable? This LSD uses the same axel stubs as the 300zxt too; it has the C clips for retaining the axel stubs. Please help. Thanks

The pinion gears inside the LSD do not move unless you turn, so if your problem is when you're just driving along, it's not the pinion gears inside the carrier. When you are driving straight, the ring and pinion are the only gears moving, all the stuff inside the carrier is just along for the ride. It's not until you turn that the side and pinions need to do anything. Most likely culprit is pinion bearings easy to set up the preload wrong and they are notoriously whiny in R diffs.

Thanks. I read the stuff from the web site you gave me and came up with the pinion gears but upon rereading it, the bearings are what he was talking about. I put more friction modifier in but still the same sound. I think your right about the bearings. I will have the diff set up and see if that helps.

There is a noticeable increase in noise as you go up (numerically) in gear ratio, or so that has been my experience with the R200. Personally, I would re-bearing the carrier and pinion, and get it professionally set up at a diff shop. Unless there is visible damage on the ring and pinion, (scoring or smearing on the faces of the teeth) they shouldn't need to be replaced. You most likely have a bad bearing somewhere that is allowing mis-alignment in the gear mesh.If you can find out what model of Skyline it came out of, I can give you the P/N breakdown.

Doug

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

If Its A 4.36/4.38 Its More Than Likely The R33 Gts(t) Manual Transmission Models..... We Used To Specifically Get Those For The 240sx To Go Up From 4.08 To 4.36 For Better Acceleration And Power Transfer.