HybridZ

autocad - what is "b" size. help plz...

260ZRED

please help?!

is "b" size 11 wide and 17 long or 17 wide and 11 long?? (inches)

Takeing class without a real teacher SUCKS. The directions call for a 11x17 "b" sized sheet, which I assume to give the x coordinate first, followed by the y, therefore being 11 wide and 17 long. My drawings dont fit and look nothing like the stupid examples (which I measured with a ruler, and the examples are perfect squares!!!!!!) WTF?

..sigh... mechanical drafting is the SINGLE WORST CLASS I HAVE EVER TAKEN. no real teacher, absolutely worthless questions that have nothing to do with autocad OR drafting, haveing to literally MEMORIZE the menu structure of autocad, etc etc.

grrrrrr sorry for this long rambling.

Igor

well, since you have autocad you have a few options. If you go to the plotter setup before you print you have the option to pick the paper you are going to print on. You can print onto that paper in whatever scale that you want that will fit the drawing. You can also set up a paper in paper space not model space where it sounds like you are drawing. Once you draw your part in model space in 1:1 scale you can switch to paper space and set up a veiwport for your work. That will be like a window to your drawing. Double click the viewport you created and you can pan and scale the drawing beneath. In paper space you can also setup whatever size paper you are going to be using. I believe there are preset blocks that come with the program that are specified paper sizes. Go to insert block and look for them.

Hope that helps a little, I got to run. Email me any questions if you want. I have used autocad for a while.

Standard ANSI B size is 11 x 17. Engineering drawings are done in landscape orientation. 17 wide and 11 tall. Get with someone in your class that understands what is going on and ask for help. Getting through an engineering program is a team effort, with everyone contributing.

If you have to go sit on the teacher’s desk and have him help. You are paying him to instruct you in CAD.

Sounds like you have your answer already...but I will say that in the industry (at least the industry I am in) "B" size is 11x17 (as mentioned), and the orientation depends on what you want. If the drawing sheet is setup for one orientation or the other, that is what you use. In other words, we use different drawing sheet templates, one ladscape, one portrait. If the drawing is better shown on one versus the other, that is what we use (for instance, if you where drawing a skyscaper, you would use Portrait).

Typically we specify "DO NOT SCALE DRAWING" on our drawings. This way, you can show the details you want without worry that someone will interprete the part wrong (use the wrong scale). The parts are fully dimensioned anyways.

Just another point of reference.

Joshua

Jolane, I just got an email from a TA and he said the ABSOLUTE SAME THING you said. In short: size is 11x17, and it doesn't matter what orientation it is: just look at what you're drawing and pick the better one (landscape or portrait!)

=)

thanks everyone. HybridZ rocks.

I learned AutoCAD from the book, "AutoCAD for Dummies". I just went through all the excercises in the book and then used it as a reference. It's a very handy book. I learned it at home when I broke my leg from Windsurfing. I was using a Canon laptop 66mHz with about a 9" screen and 16Mb RAM on Windows 3.1 !!! Lame specs now, but it was waaay better than my IBM PC Jr. on DOS 1.0