HybridZ

GForce and 5Speeds part company and I'm left without a trans...

Mikelly

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, it looks like me, Mikelly, jt1, Z-Dreamer, are serious about a Chevy form factor version. ww seems interested in a Datsun input/output shaft version. no_damn_240 I think is interested in at Chevy version.

That's 4 serious GM versions, one maybe, and 1 Datsun version.

We may have enough to move forward. But I think we need to make some kind of an announcement in the Group Buy forum, although this isn't a typical group buy, as I think we want to get good faith commitments together, and with that Bruce at Modern Drivelines may be able to move forward and order gear sets.

No movement, past these posts. I suppose a Post in the Group Buy Forum that points to this thread would be a good idea? Not sure how to handle this as it isn't a typical Group Buy, where one person pulls the money from people and then makes the order.

Also, Bruce seemed to say that the number of 10 buyers wasn't hard and fast, he just seemed to want some of the minimum of 10 gear sets he has to order spoken for, if I caught his drift.

But before we move on this, I think that Kevin at The Gear Box (see TimZ's post in this thread) should be contacted to see what the deal is with them. If they are sourcing gearsets from the actual manufacturer and not G-Force, then we'd not have to deal with the lag that G-Force is putting on filling orders.

Mike, I'm not in real need of this trans, but would buy one. Since you have the most urgent need, how about contacting Kevin and see where to go from there? How's that for delegating responsibility? ;)

O.k. Current Count:

Chevy form factor: 4 serious (Mikelly, pparaska, jt1)

-- ( no_damn_240 PM'd me he's not interested any longer )

Ford form factor: 1 serious (Z-Dreamer)

Datsun form factor: 1 serious (ww),

-- ( maybe 1 more, if Jersey is still interested? )

Pete, my cousin and I are both interested in the L28/T5 hybrid. I'm putting an '82-83 datsun tranny in to run for now but i have a feeling it's not going to last. Please keep us posted when you get more info on $. Thanks for the legwork.

[update: I guess that Kevin at The Gear Box is confused. I called his supplier (Kevin at Tex Racing - see a few posts below this) and he said they get their gear sets from G-Force.]

Wow, I'm shifting gears again ;)

Just got off the phone with Kevin at "The Gear Box" (see TimZ's post):

The Gear Box

26405 Northline Rd

Taylor, MI 48180

(734) 946-6088

Kevin uses Tex Racing gear sets, that he says are superior in finish and tolerance to the G-Force gear sets. He had numerous problems with the G-Force boxes binding up after building transmissions and running them a bit. The surface finish and gear tooth geometry, along with 5th gear spline sizing caused him problems. That, as well as the G-Force game of price increases and supply issues brought him to find a better gearset, and that is the Tex Racing Gearset.

I've decided that this is the way I want to go - Tex Gear set, and use The Gear Box to do the rebuild of my GM trans.

The gearsets are presently $1350. This includes the Input shaft, as well as all the gears, (but not the main shaft, I think?)

The GM box rebuild labor is about $195, and the additional parts (bearings, rear bearing retainer replacement, fork pads, keys, synchros, etc.) for a full rebuild usually go into another $400-450 or so. So us GM folks are probably going to be spending $2000 for a rebuilt T-5, if you have a GM WC T-5 case. Kevin said the older pre-93 GM WC T-5 cases are almost impossible to find anymore. Kevin said he bought the last 6 pre-94 GM bolt pattern cases from Tremec (not sure how many he has left), that go for $285. I didn't realize this but the 94+ GM T-5 used the same case bolt pattern and input shaft as the Ford versions. Those are easier to find used.

The Datsun stuff he has done several for besides Tim and Rick. He needs the Tail housing and shift cover from the Datsun T-5 trans to do the build. He says that the usual out the door price on the Datsun T-5 build is about $2550.

He uses the latest Tremec carbon synchros (1-4, 5th has always been brass), Timkin bearings, and an upgraded bearing support. The usual stuff you see used in a good T-5 build.

Guys, I don't think that a group buy is really available here, but if you want to try to do that give him a call. I don't think we have the numbers to do it justice. I think what's more important is that Kevin and his guys have a superior gear set choice, do good work (from what I hear), is easy to work with and knows how to do the Datsun T-5 build with the strong gear sets.

Kevin says he has these transmissions in 650+ hp drag, roadrace, and pull applications and they are holding up great.

The way I am going to progress, and the way I suggest others go is to just send your stuff/order to Kevin at The Gear Shop and have a good trans.

Pete, this sounds promising! I went Tex Racing at www.texracing.com and while they do build racing transmission, I was unable to see if they manufacture their own parts. Also I didn't see any T5 parts/transmissions listed on their site! You should call Tex Racing and get these questions answered, maybe Tex Racing will build and sell T5's direct?

Mark

:confused2 I'm really confused now - I talked Kevin at Tex Racing. He says they source their T-5 Gear Sets from G-Force! And they are $1500 now, but is checking prices and getting back to me. He says they don't do very many of these (they're mostly NASCAR suppliers, hence, the do their own trans designs, the T-10, and Jerico). :confused2

Update: O.k. the $1500 price is for the straight cut gear set.

The helicut gear set (input shaft, 1st thru 4th gear sets) is $950.

The helicut 0.80 overdrive gear set is $360.

New main shaft is $295

Labor is $240

other parts would be extra (bearings, synchros, etc.) not sure exactly how much.

Again, we're back to the only option being G-Force gear sets.

Well, one thing to consider is that Kevin at Tex Racing responded with a "no" when I asked if they used a bearing stabilizer plate.

I'd think either The Gear Shop or Modern Driveline would be fine for doing the build. Heck, I'd think even G-force transmissions would be fine.

• 5 months later...

I will be able to provide some input to this when I escape from bodywork hell - I'm currently cutting metal and doing big rear flares to fit my 325/50-15 Mickey Thompson ET Street DRs.

I have the G-Force T5 from The Gear Box and an R230/Z32 CVs/MM Billet Stubs installed, and am pretty sure that all this will hold up to my 434 rwhp/ 473 tq in dragstrip abuse.

One thing I can report is that with this transmission I no longer shred 3rd gear like I did to two Nissan T5s with my old engine and lots less power...

Again, what I like about the super T5 is that it's significantly smaller/lighter compared to other high hp-capable trannys, and provides a nice shift feel with the right aftermarket shifter/synthetic lube.

I also shamelessly plug Kevin at The Gear Box... First Rate guy.

Is anyone using one of these beefed up t5's yet?

If so' date=' which one is it and how does it perform (strength, gear noise, etc.).

Thanks![/quote']

Mine is surviving so far - last dyno pull was 467 rwhp (should be more now but I don't have numbers). I'm running reasonably sticky Kumho V700s - 275/40zr17s in the rear.

Initial gear whine with Redline D4 was pretty loud. I've since switched over to Royal Purple SynchroMax and it is much, much quieter, although it's still audible.

My gearset was the helical cut synchro'ed version. Kevin at the Gear Box put it together for me, using the ZXT T5 bellhousing, Ford WC T5 gear housing and modified ZXT T5 tailshaft housing. Great Guy to deal with.

Oh - and I'm using a Pro 5.0 shifter with it and am very pleased with the shift quality - very direct and precise.

We got Jim McNemar's Car running with his and it shifts slick as snot on a door knob! :2thumbs: The HOWE hydraulic release bearing is another issue. Last time I talked with Jim, it had puked all its fluids out and JIm was a tad bit upset... The installer/ builder had found paperwork with the unit that specified the Hydraulic release bearing wasn't designed for anything BUT stock applications... my direction was to CALL HOWE to get clarification... He did not, and isntalled it instead of sending it back and getting the McLeod Unit instead...

I went the TKO600 route instead and I haven't installed it yet... All my money for the project went to the Huricane relief fund, so I won't be completing my project until Early Spring If at all...

Mike