HybridZ

Some relief for you turbo swappers (maybe)

GrayZee

Over the past year or so I've recieved several Emails asking for help with wiring problems on the L28/z31 turbo swap. I have tried to help most of them but I've become very frustrated because I've realized that it is near impossible to explain to people what to do online (especially when you are dealing with someone that has a very limited knowlege)

I've been considering the idea of making complete wiring harnesses from scratch that are tailor made to fit your Z car with only minor additional connections to me done. I'm hoping to make them easy enough that a moron could do it. (and no that's not a challenge)

I would make them with the z31 ecu in mind with the fuel pump relay, MAF connector already installed. Every sensor/injector plug would be labeled like this...

Mass air flow

Air regulator

Throttle position

Injector #1,2,3,4,5,6

Crank angle (distributor)

Head temperature

Ignition coil trigger

The additional wires that would have to connected elsewhere in the car would be fully labeled and would include these..

Battery (+ and - )

Fuel pump (+ and - )

Ignition switch (start and ON circuits)

A total of 6 fully labelled wires. Does it sound all that hard?

The harness would also contain fusible links, a mini fuse box, a injector resistor box and one inline fuse for the fuel pump.

I will only make them for use on a z31 ecu. One problem is that to use that ecu on a L engine you need a Vg30 CAS disc with a very specific distubutor. (one from a 82 or 83 L28et) Not always the easiest to find. However I am also going to work on a way to adapt a Vg30 distributor to a L engine. A Vg30 distributor would be alot easier to come by and would also come complete with the proper CAS disc.

I wanted to make them using all brand new connectors but it seems that it would add at least $100 on to the cost of the harness. I think I may have to just go with junkyard parts and get customers to send in wiring harness "cores"

BernardD (the local HybridZ z31 ecu tuner) lives close by and we have discussed the possibility of selling the wiring harnesses complete with his re-tuned ecu's

I would like to sell complete kits that would include...

re-tuned z31 ecu

custom wiring harness

Vg30 distrubutor adapter

and possibly injectors to match the ecu

Right now I would like input from you guys so that I can gauge how much (if any) interest there is for a product like this.

I would be VERY interested in this, as I want to do a z31 ecu when I do my swap this spring/summer, but i really would like to get the swap done and running quickly so that I could be on the road, so i was thinking of doing a completely stock swap and later going megasquirt of something. If you could produce this at a reasonable cost, I would get the intercooler and stuff that I originally wanted and do everything at once. I don't know what price range you are thinking, so I may not even be able to this, but if it is reasonable I would be your first customer. Thanks

-will

I would be interested as well. Expecting delivery, in the next week or so, of a 82 ZX turbo motor to put into my 280Z. What is the advantage of using the ECU out of a Z31 (300ZX) over an ECU from a 280 ZX.

In the future when I try to get more HP I plan on having to go to MS or something because of limitations of the 280 ZX ECU. Would your set up with Z31 ECU eliminate the need for MS.

I would be interested as well. Expecting delivery' date=' in the next week or so, of a 82 ZX turbo motor to put into my 280Z. What is the advantage of using the ECU out of a Z31 (300ZX) over an ECU from a 280 ZX.

In the future when I try to get more HP I plan on having to go to MS or something because of limitations of the 280 ZX ECU. Would your set up with Z31 ECU eliminate the need for MS.[/quote']

The advantage of using the z31 system is that it is a more advanced system than the 280zx. The z31 uses a MAF sensor and the 280 uses a AFM. The overall drivability, throttle response and smoothness of the engine will improve, even gas mileage is better. The z31 system also lends itself to modifications alot better. The 87-89 ecu's can be re-programmed to allow higher HP applications from stock by using higher flow injectors. With a z31 ecu properly tuned you could run over 400hp (assuming you have the proper turbo, intercooler ect. to make it all possible) With a tuned z31 I don't think you would not want to bother with a MegaSquirt system. Especially as with any of those systems.. SDS, MS ect. you still have to hook up alot of wires and program the computer for your specific application. Not a easy task for a novice. My goal is to provide a very good system that is so easy to install that anyone can plug it in and be up and running in a very short period of time.

I'm finishing the parts collection phase and getting ready to start reassembly this summer when I'm done teaching. I'd be very interested - I have my "core" ready for you guys if you need another guinea pig....

Any idea on cost?

Bryan

Dat240zg

So far I have gotten several responses (not bad for one day) I have emailed them back with a bunch of questions regarding their setup and intentions on what they plan to do. Rather than email everyone with the same old questions I'll post them here. First off it sounds like everyone so far is planning a turbo swap with all the ideal parts to begin with (82/83 turbo engines with wiring harness. This is good as it will keep the cost down (for them anyway) I started looking into making harnesses from scratch and so far all the sources I've found for brand new connectors are VERY expensive. I would be happy to make a harness from scratch, but it you want one, you'll have to cough up the extra dough. Your cheapest option would be to send me a turbo harness and have me work from that. If need be, any 300zx harness will also work, but it's a little more work to modify it. I haven't started yet on a adapter kit for using a Vg30 distributor on a L engine but so far nobody needs one. If you plan on contacting me about a harness please include the following information...

1. Do you already have a 82/83 280zx turbo distributor?

If you dont, you'll need to get one, or my adapter kit for a Vg30 one.

2. Do you have a harness to send me? what year/model is it?

3. Do you have z31 ecu? give me the code number from it..

here's a example: A18-681-M91

4. Do you want your ecu to be re-tuned? (even if everything else remains stock, there are still benifits to a re-tuning)

5. Do you have a z31 MAF? (a z32 maf or a ford corba maf will also work, but the ecu MUST be tuned to run those)

6. Are you planning on running different injectors? Only a handful of injector types are available for use on a re-tune. People ask about running all different kinds, and while they are all possible, we cannot tune a engine for use with a injector that we have not dealt with before (not without seeing the whole car and fine tuning it) It is best to contact us BEFORE buying any injectors.

7. If you run out and buy a MAF from a wrecking yard, make sure you grab the electrical plug that goes with it. (and leave as much wire as possible on the connector) That way you can send it to me along with the rest of the wiring.

8. What sort of coil are you running? You'll need a Nissan coil trigger from a 280zxt, z31, maxima, pathfinder, ect. Let me know what you have and possibly send me the electrical connector for it.

9. If you are running a older engine, does it have a cylinder head temp sensor? If not, you will need to find a way to add one to your engine.

That's all the questions for now, but I'll likely come up with a few more later.. Ha ha..

Something you MIGHT want to consider is your setup vs megasquirt'd setup. There won't be MUCH difference in the prep time, install time, etc?? Right?

I mean if someone is going to go with a Z31 (yes, retuned but still, Z31 ecu) why not opt for a little more work and get way more benefits from megasquirt or another true standalone with tuneable on the fly ecu?

Also, I'd think the 'moronic' type of people will never WANT to put a better ECU in their setup. And the people putting Z31 ecu's are just on a bridge to an eventual true standalone anyway.

A MUCH MUCH MUCH better idea would be to make partial or even complete megasquirt kits. ECU, stimulator, sensors THAT YOU KNOW WORK WELL IN OUR CARS, wireing from these sensors (LABELED), fuse block, maybe spark control, etc. etc.

Just my opinion...

By the way, thanks for your help on the other posts (long ago) about my turbo swap. It was very much appreciated and very helpfull. :)

Something you MIGHT want to consider is your setup vs megasquirt'd setup. There won't be MUCH difference in the prep time' date=' install time, etc?? Right?

I mean if someone is going to go with a Z31 (yes, retuned but still, Z31 ecu) why not opt for a little more work and get way more benefits from megasquirt or another true standalone with tuneable on the fly ecu?

Also, I'd think the 'moronic' type of people will never WANT to put a better ECU in their setup. And the people putting Z31 ecu's are just on a bridge to an eventual true standalone anyway.

A MUCH MUCH MUCH better idea would be to make partial or even complete megasquirt kits. ECU, stimulator, sensors THAT YOU KNOW WORK WELL IN OUR CARS, wireing from these sensors (LABELED), fuse block, maybe spark control, etc. etc.

Just my opinion...

By the way, thanks for your help on the other posts (long ago) about my turbo swap. It was very much appreciated and very helpfull. :)[/quote']

I would consider making up ready made kits for MS or SDS, problem is that I don't have any experience with them. (if somebody wanted to send me a kit I may consider it)

However my goal is to target people that do not have the "know how" to do it themselves. A stand alone system is for people that have a fair bit of knowledge on how to tune a engine. True, the downfall of the z31 system is that if you wanted to change your programming you would likely have to order another chip. However I think that a z31 system is a better setup if you have already determined what injectors ect that you plan on running. The only HP limitation of the z31 ecu is the ability to read air-flow (and that can be altered) We can provide ecu's to run engines over 400hp. I don't have alot of experience with aftermarket systems but from what I have seen the factory ecu provides alot better drivabilty than MS or SDS. My buddy's RB26TT still has stumbles and hic-ups at certain rpm/load conditions with his SDS. I know of another L28 supercharged engine that has had a few issues with MS. My z31 ecu works flawlessly and the owner of the RB26 aggrees with me on that one.

Another thing, I have been bombarded with questions about the cost, sorry guys, still working on it, but I'm sure (at least I hope) the overall cost will be cheaper than a complete MS or SDS system.

Guest bastaad525

If you can sell the custom harness complete with VERY good instructions on how to get it installed, by good I mean, even an electronic dummy like me who get's lost on all but the most simple directions, and is intimidated any time there are more than two wires involved in the whole thing.... then I'd be very interested, yes indeed :)

Ok, if you end up shopping for a z31 ecu here are some things to consider..

84-86 N/A ecu's are NOT re-tunable and would not work properly on any turbo application.

84-86 turbo ecu's are NOT re-tuneable either but will work with a turbo application as long as you are using the stock 260cc injectors and a z31 MAF

(this is the weakest setup you can get but it is still far superior to a 280zxt ecu with a AFM)

87-89 N/A ecu's are re-tunable and MUST be re-tuned to work properly on a turbo application.

87-89 turbo ecu's are re-tunable and can be run as they are (with stock injectors and maf) OR they can be tuned.

Any ecu that is re-tuned will have the benifits of a better timing advance curve and will have a noticable increase in power over a un-tuned ecu.

There are a few injector upgrades availible if the ecu is re-tuned. Larger injectors will allow for a greater amount of HP to be made as the stock injectors will lean out at roughly 250hp.

If for some reason you have a hard time finding a z31 MAF, re-tunable ecu's can be tuned to run a ford cobra maf or a z32 maf (90's 300zx)

If for some reason you have a hard time finding a z31 MAF, re-tunable ecu's can be tuned to run a ford cobra maf or a z32 maf (90's 300zx)

Or you buy mine off me. I got two, and an 88 ecu. Sorry for the plug

No prob, Violacleff seeing you never did get your ecu working, how about sending me your old wiring harness as a core donation? ;)

You know I would have but my harness was so chopped up, it was completely unusable. I asked the guys at the shop if anyone else could benefit from it, and they shook their head and advised me to throw it away. I think they were trying to spare me from the humilitation of anyone seeing what my friends and I had done to it.

You know I would have but my harness was so chopped up, it was completely unusable. I asked the guys at the shop if anyone else could benefit from it, and they shook their head and advised me to throw it away. I think they were trying to spare me from the humilitation of anyone seeing what my friends and I had done to it.

Did you throw it away? I really don't care how butchered it is as all I really need is all the connectors.

I think your idea is great and I would also be very interested in this set up, as I am a bit afraid of wiring when it comes down to it and I would feel that I would ruin somethiung along the way, having a basically plug and play set up for what Im runnign on my car would be fantastic. PM me or whatever you need to do, Im definetly IN!!

• 2 weeks later...