HybridZ

The 280ZX - how good?

260DET

Thinking about getting a solid top two seat coupe and putting a Nissan V8 in it. There does not seem to much aftermarket tech info around on these cars but my impression is that in some ways they are better than the S30.

Any site links would be appreciated, concerning racing a fairly stock one would be good. Plus experiences and advice with mods, particularly the suspension and body stiffening.

Guest 81na ZX

Stronger Chassis. IIRC the chassis's strong enough for ~300 ftlbs torque (about 400 Nm)

IMO not as good rear suspension. All it is is trailing arm-spindle-strut. no A-arms or onything.

Lack of suspension upgrades.

And the suspension is almost identical to a 510's.

Finding one without T-Tops is rare ;)

Thats what I can remember off the top of my head... can't think of any sites, if I do I'll post up some.

Guest bastaad525

um... finding one WITHOUT T-tops is rare? When I bought my first ZX here in SoCal I had to search high and low to find one WITH T-tops.

Also... I find it kinda odd you list the 280zx's chassis as being better than the S30, and saying it's good for about 300ftlbs of torque. I dont know what the 280zx's limit is, but I know my '72 240 z seems to be handling ~340 ftlbs (est. flywheel) of torque stock without any problems.

I do know the 280zx does have a stronger chassis, stronger frame, and is more aerodynamic than the first gen Z's. They also have a lot more electrical stuff that can cause potential problems. The two ZX's I've owned always had some various electrical gremlins to deal with.

The rear suspension on a 280zx does suck though even if you upgrade it, it LOVES to squat all the time whenever accelerating. I guess the ZX probably doesn't handle as well as an S30 but I'm sure others would know better than I about that.

The ZX was designed as a cruiser more than anything so the stock handling is not as aggressive a S30. That's why I went with coilovers all the way round, polyurethane bushings and the big sway bars on my '83 ZXT - not many out there can out handle my car. Its fun....

Yasin

well i think a zx steers better, and given good suspension handles really well!! and yes better than a s30 in my opinion! the chassis is stronger, and they do outlast the s30 in streetable power, AND at 100+ they are defenatly nicer to ride . i dunno what would happen with a v8 upfront.

also they are not that heavy, like everybody always claims.

Loads of people go out to buy a 240 and claim it is SO light... yeah right!!! that is before the R200, brake upgrades, turbo manifold and intake etc etc ... that stuff does weigh in !

As for electrical gremlins ??? i never had one

The rear suspension can be upgraded pretty easy as race 510 and newmans 280zx had basicly modified stock set ups!!

but im biasd ;)

newmans 280zx had basicly modified stock set ups!!

Well... yes according to the IMSA rules but in reality the suspension geometry front and rear moved in ways the stock or modified OEM 280ZX suspension could never hope to.

On the GTO car the front strut style front suspension was retained but the LCAs, struts, and strut towers were custom as were all the mounting points. For the rear they had custom steel box section semi-trailing arms with fully adjustable pickup points mounted to custom tubular steel sub frames. Additional suspension links were added in the rear to better control camber changes.

On both front and rear the suspension mounting points were inches away from the originals measured fore/aft, side-to-side, and vertically.

So, comparing these IMSA GTO cars to a stock 280ZX is like comparing a NASCAR Monte Carlo to what you can find on your local Chevy dealer's lot.

Here's a general overview of the GTU and the GTO cars:

http://zhome.com/History/Electramotive/ElSh28zx.htm

http://zhome.com/History/Electramotive/DevTrubo.htm

All useful info, thanks.

It may be worth looking at transplanting the entire subframe mounted rear end of a Silvia or Skyline. There is heaps of suspension stuff for them, plus those cars can be set up to handle very well.

They are stronger and lighter (race trim) My friend has a 280zx. 2200lbs gt2 legal fun racer.

Uuuhhhh, no. Per the 2005 SCCA GT2 rules the 240/260/280Z and the 280ZX must weigh a minimum of 2080lbs. with driver or 2180lbs. with driver if running a 2.9L engine.

What I'm trying to say is in race trim a 280zx is lighter than a "street" 240. And yes the 2005 rules say it has to be a minimum of 2180. His is heavier than the min, yes, but 2200 lbs ain't bad considering the misconception of the 280zx being heavier. They were heavier due to the "comforts".

The weight penalty in SCCA racing has nothing to do with which car is capable of being lighter, and more to do with maintaining fairness and negating competitive advantages.

No one has even mentioned that they are physically larger vehicles, and can still be light weight... even in the eyes of a stock 240 owner.