HybridZ

Car leans to one side

Hey I noticed you're in Oakley. I went to liberty way back when (which will explain any spelling and grammar errors:x )......

Anywho, I had the same problem with mine in the past. I've had to Tokico springs in my 240z and I didn't care for them at all. I had a different problem to where the back was lower than the front. It turns out the prings were crap and I had 2 blown struts.

However if you just installed new springs and struts AND you're still having the same leaning problem, I would check the unibody and make sure it's OK. Maybe the car was wrecked and never straightend correctly....? Also, are all your tires the same size and properly inflated.?

jaime

The car sits about 1/2 inch lower on the right rear. When I got the car I don't think it was there. I'm wondering if the bushings might need replaceing. The new spring and struts rock I just went on a speed run. I'm going back to crawl under it while I still got light .

Thanks

While I located the problem !!! It seems who ever owned the car prior installed a left lower control arm on the right .....just inverted it DOH.

That's actually the way they come from the factory. There has been quite a few newbies that think the lower control arm is wrong, or it was flipped and they must have the wrong one, but nope. Also, the sway bar endlinks sit at the middle (of its thickness) of the control arm no matter which way it is flipped. One lower control arm for both sides, just like the front lower control arms.

!M!

My 73 240z sags in back right hand side.
It seems who ever owned the car prior installed a left lower control arm on the right .....just inverted it DOH.

You can't invert a front lower control arm (or could you?). Besides, even if it was inverted in the front, it wouldn't account for it saging in the rear.

The front lower control arm is not left/right specific. If the bushings are left in place, then yes they are, but not the control arm itself.

!M!

Guest 305240

You may want to check the front springs and struts. If the rt/ft is a little soft, it will bring up the lt/rear. Something like that. While working at various dealerships, I had to play with different spring rates to get some new cars to set level. Especially when the 300 pound fat lady complained when her car always pulled to the left!

A budy of mine works at the local porsche dealership. He had a customer come back several times with his porshce because it would pull to the left. The guy was huge. After several times of checking the alignment and all was good, they finally put the owner in the car while it was on the alignment rack. All good now.

Anyway, if you don't find anything amiss with the suspension, swap the rear springs from left to right. See if the other side sags, then you will know if it is the springs or something else.

Mark

Do you have any parts left over after you installed the new springs and shocks? It could be something simple that you forgot to install. Hmmm... what about that solid piece of plastic that fills the void in the isolator (where the bearing would be if the isolator was used on the front struts)? Was that installed in the right rear isolator? However, I'm not sure if it could all be assembled without it, but it would account for oh, maybe... 3/4" drop in ride height if it was left out.

Do you have any pictures of the car and it's suspension installed?

!M!