HybridZ

Dan Juday Riddle Me This....

Hey Dan,

I found by way of the search function, and a detailed description that you are running 265's under your Subtle Z fenders and have 10" coilovers. John at RR has said that you can only run up to 9.5" of width using his fenders and coilovers.

I am perplexed. Granted I do not have my suspension on, but to me it looks like I could get 10.5 even 11" of rubber under there. I plan on running 8" coilovers so I will have some extra room.

I also saw you have 4.5" Back Space in the rear but did not see a thread where you stated the back space/offset of the fronts. Can you offer some insight?

Thanks!

Rufus

ruf, i'm running [under stock fenderwells-with coilovers] 235.40.17's-no clearance probs at all. my tire measures 9.5" from sidewall to sidewall. the wheel is 8.5" from inner bead to bead. i think i could go just a tad wider and may do so when these are due replacement.

david

Front and rears are both 4 1/2" backspacing. I do get some tire rubbing on the frame with full lock. And, I'm sure you already know, shorter springs in the front won't buy you anymore tire room, unlike the rear.

Actually I had not thought of that...thank you for bringing it up. I assume it is because of the overall height of the strut and the associated placement of the spring?

Keep in mind also that a 14 or 15" wheel cannot handle as much back spacing as a 17" wheel. The wheel and strut move away from each other the higher up they meet. I am running 9.5" wheels in the front of my VR kit with ~6.9" backspacing, but I am also running Z31 hubs that move the wheel outward about 1.25". I am not sure, but I think the YZ fronts from John Washington are a bid wider than the Velo Rossa. I am not sure though.

Front and rears are both 4 1/2" backspacing. I do get some tire rubbing on the frame with full lock.

Are you SURE??? I really doubt it's the frame you're hitting. I bet you it is the TC rod.

I think John Washington is just incorrect about the sizes he posts on his site. The 940Z is supposedly a 3" flare in back IIRC, I've got an 8 and could maybe fit a 9 under stock fenders with coilovers. I'm thinking I could fit a 12" in the rear of the 940Z, but the offset would have to be just perfect.

Are you SURE??? I really doubt it's the frame you're hitting. I bet you it is the TC rod.

I think John Washington is just incorrect about the sizes he posts on his site. The 940Z is supposedly a 3" flare in back IIRC' date=' I've got an 8 and could maybe fit a 9 under stock fenders with coilovers. I'm thinking I could fit a 12" in the rear of the 940Z, but the offset would have to be just perfect.[/quote']

Probably is the TC rod. I was too lazy to go out to the garage and actually look. :icon53:

I'm betting John is stating tire sizes that would fit with the stock springs and no rubbing. The guy's too sharp to be just plain wrong.

I'm betting John is stating tire sizes that would fit with the stock springs and no rubbing. The guy's too sharp to be just plain wrong.

I agree JW is very sharp, and that aside he has stated to me that with 10" coil overs the largest tire and or rim that can be used is 9.5" wide.

The reason i am pressing this is I am getting ready to set up the suspension, then buy wheels and tires. However I saw a sweet deal on ebay for some used tires which seem very new. 335/35 R17 and 265/40 R17. The starting bid is $100 and no one has ponied up yet. I know the cons of used tires however for the price i coild at least get her on the ground. Its gonna be a bit before she rolls under her own power anyway. I may buy them just for the rears.

Anyone know what the widest rim a 9.6" tire can go on? 9.6"?

9077Tires.jpg