HybridZ

Hey, there's a little Swede in your Fairlady!

DAW

I think I'm going to do an off-the-wall hybrid just to see if I can make it work...as the base, or more likely piece together my own version with block, crank and pistons (2.5L with stock bore), B234F (or ) 16-valve head (use aftermarket belt tensioner from Aus to use B23F block), Volvo Motronic engine mgmt. If I can get a turbo manifold from Europe (used on the 16-valve head for turbo 2L cars there) I'll make it turbo; if not, na. I'll use stock Volvo B234F intake, f.i., etc.

I've been toying with this idea for awhile and just found a 16-valve head for $100. The parts are spread out enough that I'll probably need to pick up pistons here; rods there, etc. Ithe Volvo and might do this for a 510 as well if it works in the Z. I'm just going to use the Volvo 4spd A/T for starters to make it easier because the 5spds in the rwd cars are scarce compared to Europe.

The last time I saw a Volvo-Penta I was in a boat. Nice challenge! Good luck.

I was thinking the same thing.

On that note, I have a boat engine that I would love to try and put in a car. It's an old Mercury marine 4 cylinder. It is a 3.8L(!) aluminum block 4 cyl. It is basically half a 460 Ford big-block. It actually uses a 460 head, pistons and rods. It is a back-up engine my dad rebuilt for his Bayliner. He told me they made a 4 barrel version that was good for 225HP. I was thinking one of the new FRP SuperCobraJet heads and maybe a turbo and it should be a potent and very different combo. I believe it uses GM bellhousing bolt pattern so that part should be inexpensive. It would be funny letting people try to guess what it is.

I say go for it! I'm a Volvo guy too, not that I can afford one for a daily driver.. :redface: A friend of mine is currently driving an 89' 760 turbo and I'm always impressed with the 'uhmph' that little 2.3 has.. especialy in a heavy pig car! His 94' 850 was even more powerfull (2.5 turbo iirc) and I was toying with the idea of sticking that engine in my Z (my friend wrecked the 850 a few months ago; front pass. side smashed, car twisted, but motor is mint) but I figured I could probly do a 302 swap cheaper and quicker.. and as it is, all I can afford at this point is the basic rebuild of my L28.

Guest 73Turbo240z

i went backwards from your logic, i went from racing volvos to doing this Z

your going to kill transmissions alot if you stay with volvo A/T's, hell even the manual gearboxes arn't that durable, the B23's love to put out torque, the paper reinforced gearboxes hate it.

if you do end up doing it, a penta shortblock with a b234f head (DOHC head), then pick up a TH350 bellhousing adapter from svensk racing in sweden (i believe the guys name is jan, takes him awhile to respond to e-mails) and put a drag setup TH350 in there, they also sell bellhousing adapters to bolt up a mustang T5 which god knows theres lots of power holding upgrades for those.

do all that and you'll have a pretty potent little penta setup, put it on megasquirt (alot of volvos are on it, relatively simple), you can get a header for a 16v or 8v application from proturbo headers, which are usually for sale or in some phase of group buy over @ TurboBricks.com (i'm 740Turbo92Wagon over there), then bolt on a T4 or a holset HX35Y, you'll spool around 2000-2500, and won't run out of power till deep 6000 or shallow 7000 safely, 8000 if your ballzy.

Only bitch about the B234F head is that cam's don't really exist for them, where as us 8v guys had plenty of options (i ran an enem V15 turbo cam)

Good luck, the fact your looking into building a stout volvo motor for a car that isn't a brick will kinda piss some of the guys off, so i'd neglect mentioning that for at least a little while.

And seriously, ditch the volvo gearboxes... i killed 3 A/T's in 6 months... they just can't take it.

• 1 month later...

nice! why didnt i see this thread earlier? I will be keeping an eye on this thread as i am in the process of researching a new engine for my fathers 62 P1800. I was going to just throw a 8V turbo engine in it but that requires that you cut up the firewall and possibly the trans tunnel. I figure that if im going to go into all that trouble anyway, I might as well build a 16v. I looked into having a company in the NW build me one and the quoted me 10K + just to have it built, that wouldnt include anykind of engine management! anywho, I figure with that price they just dont want to do it again, I talked to the owner of the shop and he said it was a P.I.T.A.

well, Following this thread for sure and would love to get as much info as I can from yall along with build up pictures!

also, any suggestions on the P1800 swap would be great!

Guest 73Turbo240z
nice! why didnt i see this thread earlier? I will be keeping an eye on this thread as i am in the process of researching a new engine for my fathers 62 P1800. I was going to just throw a 8V turbo engine in it but that requires that you cut up the firewall and possibly the trans tunnel. I figure that if im going to go into all that trouble anyway' date=' I might as well build a 16v. I looked into having a company in the NW build me one and the quoted me 10K + just to have it built, that wouldnt include anykind of engine management! anywho, I figure with that price they just dont want to do it again, I talked to the owner of the shop and he said it was a P.I.T.A.

well, Following this thread for sure and would love to get as much info as I can from yall along with build up pictures!

also, any suggestions on the P1800 swap would be great![/quote']

building a 16v head on a redblock isn't a hard thing to do, i know a number of volvo guys who've done it, it's been done in sweden for years, and theres i'd guess 5 of them in progress stateside right now, 2 are running IIRC...

alot of P1800 guys like to stay with a b20 or b21 and build it since it's a touch easier to work with... but i'd say if you want a real rocket, b230ft (93' + for the bigger rods and oil squirters) volvo redblock, b234f head (4cyl volvo 16v head) with some PZ cams... unless ya'll are just really looking to kill ANYTHING you may run across, then you don't have to build a all penta+forged beast... some good pistons on the factory rotating assembly should do the job just fine.

reinforce that suspension though, the 1800 is small and never designed around a high torque motor... build and reinforce liberally to ensure your safety.

Guest 73Turbo240z
73turbo240z...take a look at the detail of the text before you spew. If one were to want a 16-valve' date=' high compression "red block" Volvo engine then they should harvest one from a 940 GLE with the B234F engine; harnesses, ECU and all. That has little to do with my project.

OVLOV, down-under, makes a timing belt idler pulley to adapt the 16-valve head to the B230(whatever version you choose) block.

Y'know I'm not writing this to be flip; but rather to teach you to show some respect for those who have already (and, in some cases long since, thought the thoughts in your head). I'm referring to building a 16-valve Volvo STROKER engine, i.e., 2.5 liters, 96mm bore and 86mm stroke (up from 80mm car engine stroke). Anyway, productive contribution is welcome; derisive, "you've got it all wrong and I've seen it done before" B.S. is useless. If you can't contribute in a positive way to the discussion, then STFU! Post something that makes sense upon scrutiny; or don't post. DAW[/quote']

going off a little half cocked here arn't you? if you were to "take a look at the detail" of my text.. you'd see was talking to sparky in my last response, not you... and even then, my response was nothing but information on options, i didn't down anyones ideas, including yours. your definately over inflating a non-issue buddy.

building a 16v head on a redblock isn't a hard thing to do' date=' i know a number of volvo guys who've done it, it's been done in sweden for years, and theres i'd guess 5 of them in progress stateside right now, 2 are running IIRC...

alot of P1800 guys like to stay with a b20 or b21 and build it since it's a touch easier to work with... but i'd say if you want a real rocket, b230ft (93' + for the bigger rods and oil squirters) volvo redblock, b234f head (4cyl volvo 16v head) with some PZ cams... unless ya'll are just really looking to kill ANYTHING you may run across, then you don't have to build a all penta+forged beast... some good pistons on the factory rotating assembly should do the job just fine.

reinforce that suspension though, the 1800 is small and never designed around a high torque motor... build and reinforce liberally to ensure your safety.[/quote']

thanks for the info! It will be some time before I get into it 100%, but that just give me plenty of time to research! If I can PM you question once in while I would most appreciative.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Sorry I overreacted. It just seems like there's an abundance of negative input when ideas are presented...makes you want to not waste your time with people on such sites. DAW

no problem, i'm all about new ideas... it's fun to talk shop!

thanks for the info! It will be some time before I get into it 100%, but that just give me plenty of time to research! If I can PM you question once in while I would most appreciative.

sure thing

• 4 years later...