HybridZ

Motor went Boom.

Actually it was more like fizzle clank, clank.

NO, NOT THE Z!!!

My wife's '95 Suburban 5.7 TBI. Radiator tank cracked open vomitting out all the coolant and before she noticed the water temp gauge was pegged.

Bad smell of exhaust in the radiator, and even the oil smelled burnt. It got way hot. 170k miles, I figure I'm just going to grab a JY mill and drop it in.

So help me out all you motor heads. This thing has to pass smog. All the bolt-on stuff is going right back on. What I want to know is what year (car or truck) motor should I look for for the best stock heads. Then I plan to add a cam to get a little more out of it. So what cam should I use?

I know we've got some real sharp Chevy guys here so help out a buddy.

Guest 305240

sounds like a great chance to get rid of that 305. Dump it into the sub. 305's should pass any smog laws. Then build you a good 383 for your Z.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
sounds like a great chance to get rid of that 305. Dump it into the sub. 305's should pass any smog laws. Then build you a good 383 for your Z.

^

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

LOL

Okay, then look for a 96-up Vortech 350. Those heads are great street performance heads. Then add a Summit 204ºI/214ºE cam, a Performer Manifold, and a free flowing exhaust.

You'll only pick up about 20lb/ft of peak torque, but you'll pick up over 50TQ in the upper rpm, and probably a solid 50hp across the range.

Thank you Magnum, now that's helpfull. :wink:

Are all the '96 up to the LT & LS motors the same inside, car and truck? I'm really just looking for a long block.

Looking at a Jeggs catalog it looks like the 204/214 is about the mildest cam out there on the aftermarket. That's fine as this is my wifes car and priorities are drivability, pass smog, and fuel mileage. I wouldn't do anything to it performance wise if I didn't have to pull the motor anyways.

There will be no new exhaust goodies. Stock cast iron manifolds. I did have bigger pipes, free flow cat, and "big muthah" Borla muffler stuck on it about two years ago. The muffler was cheap. It was ordered for something that didn't have enough room for it and it was laying around the muffler shop too long. It is currently as loud as my wife will tolerate.

Will that intake manifold really do me any good under the stock TBI?

LS? Tim, you're dreamin'. :roll:

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You'll pick up about 10hp and 10lb/ft from the manifold, and it'll fatten the low end and help get it moving. The TBI manifolds are a little hard to find, but if you CAN find one it shouldn't be more than $75.

Your exhaust fills the bill for that cam, so leave it alone.

The cam is pretty mild, but it's perfect for the truck. It won't alter the idle, but it'll really improve the power delivery. You can get the cam from SummitRacing.com for $80 for a cam/lifter kit.

You should be able to find a list of vehicles with the Vortec 5.7 online. I couldn't name any other than the 96-up pickups.

Will the 96-Up Vortec's work with an earlier TBI intake? The 97 Vortec engine I have on my stand right now has Multi-Port inside the intake manifold. It is very different than a TBI setup.

Also, will the exhaust manifolds be the same?

I am just trying to bring up components that I would be worried about working, that's all.

Joshua

If you want to drive out here (NM) and pick it up, I have a 97 Vortec 5.7L I would sell cheap. It spun a rod bearing, so it does need to be rebuilt. I would guess it only needs the crank turned and new bearings, but I don't know for sure. Just a thought.

I have to correct magnum. The vortec intakes are 8 bolts and the 87 on up intake are 12, just like the old SBC. The only difference is the 4 center bolts for the 87 up intake are drilled at a steeper angle than the outer bolts.

Please forgive my denseness. Does that mean the '95 TBI intake manifold won't bolt up to the '96 and up vortec heads?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
Please forgive my denseness. Does that mean the '95 TBI intake manifold won't bolt up to the '96 and up vortec heads?

Edelbrock makes a manifold to install a "regular old" carb on Vortec heads, but I can't vouch for TBI. To be honest, I've never built a TBI engine because I've never lived in an area that does emissions testing.

Check and see if anyone makes a TBI-to-Vortec manifold.

If not, the TBI heads aren't TOO bad, although they aren't anywhere near the Vortecs. With that mild a cam, you won't be losing too much HP to the heads, though. If we were closer, I have a complete TBI 350 you could HAVE, but I'm on the opposite coast.

Here's a quote regarding Vortec head ID:

"From the exhaust side of the head you can't tell a vortec from any other head. They look nearly identical to all other chevy heads. The ends also look more or less the same. All the accessory holes on the outer edges look just like any other 87 and newer center bolt head.

The intake bolt patter is different! It uses an 8 bolt attachment. This unique bolt pattern and the casting numbers are the quickest way to tell them apart from other heads. You also can tell by the casting mark on the end of the head since the vortec head has a 3 triangle or 'sawtooth' casting mark. They are available under 2 casting numbers 10239906 and 12558062. Both casting are good and performance wise they have no difference."

Dan, I'm confused about what you have in the truck. I seem to recall that the vortecs have a multi-point injection system, with a large "monoblade" (translate big-a$$ 1-bbl) throttle body, like this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7960951835&category=36474

When you say "TBI", I think of a system with the injectors at the top of a carburator-lookin' arrangement, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7962262370&category=33558

So? Hmm? Hmmmmm?

Hell, Now I'm confused too...

I had the TBI setup in my 93 GMC and I"m now driving a 98 Z71 with a completely different setup... But it still has a big old TBI (Or maybe it is just a Throttle body without injectors?) on it...

I know the intake is VERY different and is a two piece style with plastic/ nylon on the upper and aluminum on the lower.

I know this thing hauls the mail... Plenty of low end grunt, and rolls along at 80mph and 16mpg just fine!

Mike

I have a 99 Suburban engine and tranny sitting on a pallette in my garage. I also have the Helm manual (4 telephone directory sized books :shock: ). The injectors are individual, but are 'hidden' under the throttle body in a spider legs type arrangement, unlike most port systems where the injectors are external. So although it appears to be a TB injection system, it is actually port injection.

Hope that helps a bit....