HybridZ

How and where to mount surge tank + efi pump?

Guest ZX-AE

Guest ZX-AE

I'm about at that point in my project. I want to mount everything under the hood, and leave the carb fuel system thats in my '72 in place.

Tomorrow I'm going to run down a bronco II surge tank, I have a EFI pump from my '77 ready to mount. What would be the best place and way to mount them? I was playing around with a pump mounted on an injector cooler braket on the engine block, but I'm not so sure thats a good idea.

Does the surge tank need to be below the level of the fuel tank in the back? does the EFI pump need to be below the surge tank?

I looked in the archives for pictures of similar setups, I found some but they were broken links. something about hybridz moving.

Guest ZX-AE

I figured so. Not sure if even possible to mount the surge tank below the tank level AND have the pump below the surge tank. I'll just mount it in most conveniant location. If I can ever find one, looked at six or seven Bronco II's and explorer's today and came up empty handed.

Guest ZX-AE

It's already equiped with a small aftermarket carb pump back behind the tank. No idea what kind it is but I'm sure it'll do the job.

I've got this thing pretty well worked out, just need a surge tank and need to figure out how and where I'm going to mount everything. I really, dont want to drill a bunch of holes in the car because this set-up isnt permanant.

The way I had mine set up, the surge tank ended up with some slight pressure (~2psi), which then obviously force fed the high pressure pump. In this case, you could mount the pump anywhere as it is no longer relying on gravity.

Tim

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=94570&highlight=surge+tank

• 2 weeks later...

I mounted mine in the fender well on the drivers side. I made a custom tank out of 4" aluminum tubing and welded some 1/4" aluminum plate for the ends. I taped the ends for fittings. I was able to mount the the efi fuel pump below the sump. I then closed up the fenderwell behind the tire using some ABS sheet and aluminum angle to shield the installation from water/rocks. Everything is now out-of-sight.

Guest ZX-AE

Because it would be hard for me to get a good 280Z gas tank, I live in the land of few Zs. I figure this set-up is just as good, and it's much cheaper and easiser.

I did find a bronco ii surge tank at a yard, I had to pay out the butt for it but I have it. Also I already modified the returns so it's ready to go on, but it's raining and I dont have a a garage. Weather is supposed to be crappy tomorrow too.

Guest ZX-AE

I got the surge tank installed today, it works great. Before I hooked up the fuel pump outlet I turned the key on and let the carb pump run, it actualy pumped fuel through EFI pump and out the outlet with a decent amount of force. I'm VERY happy with the results so far, I got the car running and it revs smooth it just wont idle. Has lots of power, it accelerates stong, I accidently spun the tires pulling away from a stop sign.

It was really easy, much easier than swapping a gas tank.

I'm going the same route for my someday to be LT1 powered car.

What carb pump do you guys run to fill the surge tank?

I only ask because most of the ones I have seen/heard are very noisy and the thing will be running all the time. The Holley Red/Blue is especially loud.

There are different types, I hear, but I don't know how to identify them.

Bill

Guest ZX-AE

Right now it's kinda ghetto rigged togther, I havent done my final mounting yet. Bu I will take a few pics tomorrow, my camera sucks though.

No idea what fuel pump I have, it came on the car but it looks aftermarket. It's kinda noisy but i cant hear it over the many sounds my engine makes.

Still cant get it to idle. Gonna run some tests tomorrow.