HybridZ

Best economical swap

Guest richyboycaldo

Guest richyboycaldo

Hi, I think this is my first post. And my question was, I have a 240z in bad shape, and I am college student who works, so as I see most of you want more power etc, but What is the best economical swap to give the better gas milleage, probably a 4 cyl, the sr20 is expensive. a crappier engine in a sentra (not ser) maybe? or any other one? any advice will be great I am looking for some 30 mpg and not requiering 91 octane. thx in advance guys.

Guest richyboycaldo

A mid 20s, could be nice but in the city, in the high way most cars make above 20, a engine probable like a 1.3 or 1.6, that have like 100 hp,

Guest richyboycaldo

but the style from the civic suks, I like the 240z lines, I already have a 300zx from those need for speed days, and since hte 240z is very weight like 2300 pounds, there must be a 4 cyl that can easily bolt on to get a som mid 20s street and 30 highway

why don't you pick up a 5 speed from a 280, swap it in (you may need a matching drive shaft), and tune your carbs. Total cost should be less than 250 bucks.

My friend with a 260 has an L28 in it with n42 head, converted to FLAT TOP su carbs rebuilt by z-therapy (to pass smog when it was requried to) with all smog equipment attached, 5 speed and stock 3.36 gears.

He was getting 25-26mpg on the freeway. Well tuned round top SU carbs have netted people high 20s in that setup.

Guest richyboycaldo

I already have a 5 speed, and a l24 engine, but it needs a rebuilt. the problem to is that the Z requires 91 oct gas, any engine that can run nice with 87? or maybe a roadter engine?

The cost of any motor swap will pay for years and years of the fuel that you might save with a small four cylinder engine.

But hey, then you would have the joy of owning the slowest Z on the planet.

Sorry for the sarcasm. The logic just doesn't work for me. :confused2

• Like 1

I have to agree with Dan and the others, being a student myself I guess your gonna have to suck it up and but something good on gas and put your Z on the back burner. I dont know why you would wanna swap anything under a 2.0 engine into a Z. Im thinkin since this is unchattered territory for the most part, its gonna be pricer then just goin out and buying a used car thats good on gas.

Guest richyboycaldo

I live in Tijuana so labor is like 3 times cheaper, I have 3 cars, a 300zx that is the best because is comfortable to ride, a 240z that i am building slowly totally stock I just rebuilt the engine, but I need the carbs, and I have another 240z and that Zi the one that i would like to make it my car to go to work and college, and the other 240z, and 300zx for weekends. i spend 200 dlls per month in gas in my 300zx, in the stock Z i still dont know I am wainting for my carbs and It has the 4 speed, so highway mileage will not bereally hi. So the 3erd Z has a 5-speed, I and I thaugh maybe if I Roadster engine could bolt on. If i find a good combo, I would have 3 car closely relate for 3 diffente purposes.

Guest 81na ZX

Well aux swapped in something smaller than 2.0 (depending on how you count it ;) ) and I'm trying to swap a 1.8L 4 cyl, but in both these cases they are turbos... (according to the SCCA mod autox rules, a rotary is 2x as big as printed and any forced induction is 1.4x)

Guest richyboycaldo
Well aux swapped in something smaller than 2.0 (depending on how you count it ;) ) and I'm trying to swap a 1.8L 4 cyl, but in both these cases they are turbos... (according to the SCCA mod autox rules, a rotary is 2x as big as printed and any forced induction is 1.4x)

from what car the 1.8 engine is, maybe i can put that engine wihtout hte turbo, if the swapo is easy

I think most of 1.8 L engines are for FWD. Not sure how easy to swap the FWD engine into RWD Z. I think most powerfull stock NA 1.8L engine are the one from Celica GTS, Integra Type R, and turbo engines VW's 1.8T(Golf GTI, Audi 1.8T), or JDM CA18DET(not 100% sure about the code. It's the one from 180SX).

from what car the 1.8 engine is, maybe i can put that engine wihtout hte turbo, if the swapo is easy

again, the cost of parts and labor will outweigh the amount of $ you save on gas. BY A LOT.

If you want same handling, fuel economy, and some comfort for a daily driver, buy a used bmw 318ti. it's a hatchback, 2 doors, seats 4, has a 1.8 liter motor w/ 138hp, gets 32-35mpg on freeway, and it's rwd.