HybridZ

looking for Japanese/Asian HipHop/Rap advice...

Sparky

Hey gang,

I know that I haven't been the most active member lately as School, personal matters and the lack of a complete Z have kept me lurking for the last year. So I hope that when I do become more of an active member again that my general nonsense postings will subside.....BUT! until then I'm come to yall because I know somebody out there has the answers that I seek.

I've been listening to alot of underground HipHop lately (atmosphere, aesop rock, ugly duckling, Mr. Lif, Deltron3030, MF Doom, Slug ETC ETC) and am looking for an equivalent from the other side of the world. I know this is kinda of a stretch, but also feel that this site and its members are some of the most well rounded and most knowledgeable people on the planet in all things, and not just carZ.

anywho....

thanks!!!!!

I dont know of anyone that can rap on the same levels on the underground rap groups that you listed. I know Dale (bayareazt) listens to slug and atmosphere and probably others you listed, Ive heard them before but honestly cant stand them too much, I can admire their concepts and some of them have good flows, but the package isnt selling well on me. All the hip hop ive heard from Korea, Japan, and China, really sucks, and I hate to say it. Rappers in Hong Kong and China have come a long way though, but the music seems based on a poppier sounds and it just hasnt evolved completely.I was just in China a few months back and went to clubs every day and night and didnt hear a rapper able to hold it down like they do here, in Chinese or English. I dont listen to hip hop too much anymore, I mainly listen to Bay Area rap and older music nowadays. Im too busy BEING hip hop, defined in my masters thesis as it suits my theoretic disertation as being "the art of making the best out of a f---ed situation."

thanks for the info,

I knew that I would get some good info from yous guys.

thus far the majority of the stuff ive D'ld is pure garbage....however, I think that M-Flo, and Buddha Brand are decent (from what I've heard anyway.) I'll keep looking and hoping for the best though...theres always hope right?

I wish I didnt have this damn music addiction. I can never have enough music. I consume and pass through music like greasy breakfast tacos!

hmmmm.....tacos......

I wish I didnt have this damn music addiction. I can never have enough music. I consume and pass through music like greasy breakfast tacos!

Same here. I have so much music. Lately, I've been trying to find some good German hip hop/rap with not so much luck. I've got some Polish hip hop that really flows.

Have you ever been so bored with new music, that you started to listen to the CD's you got many years ago? It's kind of a cycle for me.

P.S. Aesop rock, Deltron 3030, and Atmosphere kick ***!

!M!

Same here. I have so much music. Lately' date=' I've been trying to find some good German hip hop/rap with not so much luck. I've got some Polish hip hop that really flows.

Have you ever been so bored with new music, that you started to listen to the CD's you got many years ago? It's kind of a cycle for me.

P.S. Aesop rock, Deltron 3030, and Atmosphere kick ***!

!M![/quote']

Sure have, I still go back to alot of my old CDs, New order, Joy division, cure, Dead milkmen, Dead kennedys, RHCP, etc etc. Although most of them are now in MP3 form and just cycle through when i play the iPod. Sooo..... polish hiphop eh? any bands I should search for?

also, have you heard of King Geedorah? thats some crazy stuff, and can actually be really good. how bout Non-prophets? if not check out the song "Hey Bobby" (although im not sure that its actually Non-prophets but might just be sage francis.)

are there any decent Euro or asian Indie bands?

Trivia:

Del the Funky Homosapien aka Deltron 3030 is Ice Cube's cousin from the Bay Area (Berkeley) I met him once while he was passed out drunk on Haight Street. I shook him and said "Hey youre Del the funky homosapien!" He said "Fo sho dog." He passed out again and life went on.

I would again say no to good Indie groups from Asia, my people still have a ways to go compared to Europe and US. I bet Europe does have a great number of Indie groups, but its easier to track them down if you are over there, same way it is easier to track US indie groups here.

Del has always been my favorite from the heiro crew. I don't listen to much hiphop from asia but Arata from Living Legends is from Osaka. DJ Krush usually has Japanese MCs on his albums. Lyrics Born is Japanese American but you won't hear anything in Japanese from him. Right now I listen to anything from the Living Legends crew (gotta support west coast underground) or old school funk and soul like James Brown type stuff.

Asia may not be up to par as far as MCing but they do have a lot of god DJs.

My faves...

KG (already mentioned), Zeebra, DS455, Distromental, K-Dub Shine, Sphere of Influence, Doushi-T, Sword, DJ Masterkey, DABO

I used to like M-Flo, they're more hip hop than rap and I like the female vocalist...anything you hear on the radio sucks.

There's also Soul Scream, United Nations, Uzi, Ozrosaurus, Nitro, Muro, Dragon Ash, DJ Oasis

Owen

Yeah, Del is good, isnt Deltron on some synthpop hip hop style now? Asia does have some good Djs, the one hip hop venue I went to in HK was crazy good, but they were playing American music, and they were about six months behind. I am and always will be an E40 fan, have every album and a million and one different remixes and guest appearance songs. There aint nothing like mob style music....

Guest comeandzpa

Can't say I know anything about asian rap, but the guys you listed are extremely good. Atmosphere is awesome. Also, check out Sage Francis if you haven't already, he's right up there with Atmosphere.

cool! There are very few people I know that listen to the same thing I do, Its very nice to find more people within a community that I already associate with.

I will have to do a search for some of the groups mentioned above, looks like my music collection might just grow a little this weekend! zweet!

thanks again!