HybridZ

L28ET leaking boost, sometimes..

Gavin

Often times when I roll hard onto the throttle in first, second, and sometimes third I will hear a BOV-like sound of pressure releasing from the motor and a momentary loss of boost. This whole thing happens in an instant and then the boost will seem to build fine. What could be causing this?

A hunch tells me the problem is in this general area :) What a mess.

l28etemissionscrap.jpg

Also, how much of that is emissions stuff that I can eliminate?

edit- Oh and only mod to the turbo system is a boost controller.

That's an old adjustable HKS pop off valve (I had bought one 13 years ago for my first 280Z turbo conversion). As you tighten the bolt, it compresses a spring which in turns increase the amount of pressure needed to open the valve.

That's an old adjustable HKS pop off valve (I had bought one 13 years ago for my first 280Z turbo conversion). As you tighten the bolt, it compresses a spring which in turns increase the amount of pressure needed to open the valve.

HA thats great! There are a bunch of HKS parts on the car, including a hell of an exhaust, and I guess this isnt really a suprise. I should look arround more!

Tightened it down and the leaking stopped. Thanks guys!

So what exactly does a pop-off valve do? Does it serve a similar purpose as a BOV? Didn't think you could have one after the TB I thaught that was the point..