HybridZ

Oil cooler

evildky

A lot of people were asking about my Oil cooler at SEZ,

101_4444.jpg which I just used the stock oil cooler adapter found on the turbo automatic cars, removed the banjo fittings and installed the adapter in place of the through bolt from the banjo fitting

so I checked and the AN adapters are a straight -8 AN to 18mm x 1.5 adapter, of course the AN size is up to what size hose you want to run, summit has them in Aeroquip as well as in earls and prolly their own brand, but the part number for the aeroquip is: AER-FBM2244, they sell for about $10 each I think I got them cheaper either a different brand or maybe i got them from jegs I really don't remember but there is the info if you wanted to know

the automatic turbo ZX came with an oil cooler, the problem is that the lines were designed to be in the larger S130 chassis and is specifically designed to fit it and not our S30's, most people simply ditch the oil cooler, I used the stock oil cooler adapter on the side of the block, but the origional oil lines were attached to the adapter by banjo fittings, I replaced the banjo fittings with A/N adapters then just ran lines to a cooler, mine is actually a tranny cooler but it's what I had and I got it cheap

I picked up a trans cooler at a swap meet with lines and fittings for $15 the lines aren't long enough to reach up front so I mounted it in the wheel well, you could also use the presslock hose, it should take the heat and pressure nut the braided would be the strongest, also if you check with rubber suppliers, hydraulic fitting shops and diesel parts shops for large diameter rubber hose that'll take the heat and pressure, you'd be amazed at the stuff they have, and while your at it you can buy the JIC fittings instead of the AN, they use the same flare and the AN but they are made of steel, weigh more but cost less

Guest bastaad525

yeah but what I'm asking is, do the AN fittings just screw right in in place of the banjo fittings? Can I just remove one and install the other and be set? Or do I have to modify anything to get the AN fittings on there.

bastaad525, You need a metric adapter if you want to run AN connections. I'm installing the same filter adapter plate as well. You can get it at summit racing or several other mail order speed shops. It is a 18mx 1.5 to 10AN. I did the same thing but it is definitely not the el cheapo route, but man does it look good. Two 18mm/10 AN adapters and 10AN elbows ran 70 bucks.

Guest JAMIE T

I modified one last year for my car but since I went a different direction(RB26) I sold it on Ebay. I elarged the holes in the stock outlets and retapped them for 1/2" NPT. So, easily available fittings could be used. I'd recommend -10 for oil cooler lines.

Just an fyi: you can get good cheap aluminum oil coolers from 86-91 rx7s either from rx7 boards (nopistons.com, rx7club.com) from people parting cars out. Or at a junkyard, as long as it's not damaged.

extra info: they are M18x1.5 threading, so if you're doing AN lines, summit sells m18x.15 to 10AN male/male adapters

yeah but what I'm asking is, do the AN fittings just screw right in in place of the banjo fittings? Can I just remove one and install the other and be set? Or do I have to modify anything to get the AN fittings on there.

they screw right inplace of the banjo bolt for whatever size you want to run, I ran the -8 have had no problems with this set up, but the -10 is an option should you feel it necesarry

Just an fyi: you can get good cheap aluminum oil coolers from 86-91 rx7s either from rx7 boards (nopistons.com' date=' rx7club.com) from people parting cars out. Or at a junkyard, as long as it's not damaged.

extra info: they are M18x1.5 threading, so if you're doing AN lines, summit sells m18x.15 to 10AN male/male adapters[/quote']

That's what I am using for the GN engine.

Just an fyi: you can get good cheap aluminum oil coolers from 86-91 rx7s either from rx7 boards (nopistons.com' date=' rx7club.com) from people parting cars out. Or at a junkyard, as long as it's not damaged.

extra info: they are M18x1.5 threading, so if you're doing AN lines, summit sells m18x.15 to 10AN male/male adapters[/quote']

Yup that's what I have going too.

• 1 year later...

Hey all how about the transmission cooler? I'm getting one of those `dual coolers` that can cool both tranny/engine fluids in 1 unit, just wondering if anyone knows the size fittings id be needing.

Also the cooler is 3/8NPT so I dont really need AN hoses, any thoughts on taking the 18mm to 3/8? Rather do that then 18mm -> 10AN -> 3/8NPT.

Thanks!

most of us run a manual trans which has no pump and not set up for use with a cooler, I suppose someone could use an electric pump setup like the ones used for diff coolers as it's the same fluid, and I think all the replacement (not inclusing aluminum) incluse the cooler for use with auto's