HybridZ

250 Gto...

Con Brio

Well it took 8 years...but I finally found the car for me. It all started when I bought a '76 280Z with plans of a Vela Rossa kit. After finishing all the mechanical work I just couldn't cut up the car (I still have it). Next came a partially completed VR. I couldn't cut up my Z but the VR was too nice to forget about. I've always loved the lines of the 250 GTO and John Washington did a superb job of designing and engineering a convertible version. Unfortunately, due to many circumstances, it was never meant to be. And the car was sold. I've just purchased a Alpha One 250 GTO with Vela Rossa front clip. It has a 350 w/ 5 speed. The car needs a little work and a few modifications to make it truely "my own". I looking forward to working on and driving my first real Hybrid Z.

Cheers.

Guest JAMIE T

Welcome to HybridZ! You won't find a better place to aid in working on your GTO. There are actually quite a few on here. Alpha's, VR's, Rhino's, Scorpian, even a Scorpian with a VR front clip. Lots of information to found here. Good luck.

Welcome Con Brio - It's always good to see new guys here especially if they have both a Hybrid Z and the GTO kit. I bought my Alpha kit from Joe Alphabet many years ago and know a little bit about them. So, please let me know if I can be of any assistance and good luck.

236622_1_full.jpg

Do you know the history of this car?

A few years ago I spoke to a gentleman out here in California with an Alpha much as you describe except the nose (original Alpha) had been crunched. He was having a difficult time deciding what to do with it. I suggested the VR front clip to him as a solution. The car was sold to John Washington in AZ who replaced the nose and then it was sold again. I lost track of it from there.

When I saw the car it was red.

Guest LT1-10AE

I'm also in the planning stages of building a VR. I've got a couple of chassis in mind to go look at and since this will be my first foray into kit cars, I'll be here time and time again :)

I'm no slouch when it comes to making something happen - I've got a 1988 10th Anniversary RX-7 that I installed an LT1/T56 in over Christmas.

I would like to see a VR up close and personal though. Anyone close to the Florida Panhandle (Pensacola) that wouldn't mind me taking a look at their car up close?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. And for all the offers of help and assistance. I will post some pics and more info when I actually "see" the car. I'm in Japan, the car is in the U.S. and I'm from Canada. It's killing me not to be able to see or drive it.

Hey "Dan Juday"...I think that this "is" the car you speak of. I don't know the whole history of the car. But the story that received sounds very familiar to what you've described. If you, or anyone, have any info on the car that you could share with me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I don't know much about the car. Most of it I've allready shared.

I saw it three or four years ago at the Kit Car Club show in San Leandro, CA. The gentleman who drove it there did not enter it in the show, just parked it outside the ropes. The nose was busted up pretty good and there was some issue about insurance (or lack there of) so he was looking for a cost effective way of repairing it properly. The work was beyond his abilities and the shops he had talked to told him it would be cheaper and better to get a new nose. He couldn't find a new Alpha nose and was frustrated. He had never heard of John Washington's VR. He left me his e-mail address and when I got home I sent him the web address and Johns e-mail. I also dropped a note to John about the car.

Later I heard back from John that they had struck a deal and that he was coming to California to get the car. An e-mail to John could give you a lot more info on the car than I can.

john@reactionresearch.com

If my memory serves me I believe the California owner had owned the car for many years. I think there was something about breaking a couple rearends too but that part is a little fuzzy.

Either way sounds like you're one lucky bloke. :wink:

Thanks for the info "Dan Juday". I appreciate it!

Sorry "y-not" I won't be able to make Knott's. I really wish that I could. What a great experience to see all those beautiful cars and talk to the owners/builders. Great way to pick up a couple of cool ideas for my own. But neither me or my car will be anywhere near ready to make it. Enjoy the show!!! Cheers.

I have a question for the 250 GTO guys. Has anyone ever tried to use the trim ring for the headlight covers available from Scorpion on a Vela Rossa front end??? How about the trim ring for the lower oval intake???