HybridZ

Tread Rubber shoes GRIP

I'm having a hard time choosing what tires to put on the Z. I'm running Honda 17's with Ross's adaptors with Kumho 711's. The 711's are not doing the job well. I drive the Z about 5k a year never in the rain and hoping to hit the strip one a month this summer. So I guess my priorities are as follows, 10 highest 1 lowest.

Tread wear 5

Wet traction 1

Straight line 10

Cornering 10

Price 7

I have not done much research on pricing, but allot of reading on comparisons. What tires I have been looking at are...

Avon Tech R

Hoosier A3S04 or R3S04

BFG g-force drag radial

Kumho V710 or V700

Toyo Proxes

The most common size I've been contemplating is 225/45/17. I have not rolled the fenders yet, but I'm not against it. And I am running coilovers sectioned rear struts with stock IRS. I know this is one of the topics beaten to death, and I've read allot of past threads. I'm just looking for some more information. I have no problems running a slick on the street, I'm far from street legal and have never had problems with the local law.

The "cornering" and "straight line" are exclusive to a degree. Three of the tires you list, the hoosiers, kuhmos, and toyos, are excellent road course tires, but poor drag tires. The BFG's are good strip tires but don't corner so well. Sidewall stiffness is the difference. A good road course tire has very stiff sidewalls, while a good drag tire has very soft sidewalls. You'll have to pick a compromise.

Better yet, just buy two sets!

John

Yah if I was gona go drag racing on the weekends, I could justify a set, or even two 'drag race specific' tires mounted on another set of wheels. That way you can get the best tire for street use, but at the trak switch over to the more 'drag freindly' tires. I had a set of hoosiers on my old 85 CRX and loved them. That thing was like an overgrown go-cart! Mind you trying to get a good launch was hard, as there was a lot off wheel hop (hard sidewalls I guess..) so the (ahem..red light) drags were not that cars forte'.

I was wondering the same thing as him but i was also considering Yokohama Parada Spec-2's any one else thinking about these/own these? I would really like to know how they perform. But other then that my friend who races honda CBR's (bikes) says euro rubber is the best. (ie metzler/pirelli)

Guest TegRacer324

I haven't owned many tires, but I've had Parada Spec 2's on my integra for 2 seasons. I was pretty impressed with them. Gripped really well and in they were also really good in the rain. I could go full throttle in 1st gear in the wet and hardly get spin, which is pretty good considering the other tires I've had on the car just spin in 1st when it's wet pretty much. They do tend to start sucking in the rain though as they wear down.

BFG G-Force KDWS I'll have to look into those although I don't care one bit about wet traction. The tire size I'm running now is 225/45/17 so I guess I could squeeze 245's I'm debating on getting 2 15's to run drag radials on now because I hate to comprimise. I'll keep an eye out for lawn sprinklers is I run slicks.