HybridZ

Starter Problem?

About every other time or so when I go to start my V8Z the starter (which is new) cranks a couple of revolutions and then just starts to whir...it will do this for a couple of times and then it will go to start right up.

Now..I noticed 3 studs on the back of the starter (GM gear reduction type as recommended in the JTR manual) there are 3 studs. One stud for 12+, one for IGN START...I'm assuming the other is for ground? I didn't hook it up...but, I'd think it would ground through the starter case.

Any suggestions or am I stuck with a bad starter?

I checked the starter positive cable, it's tight.

The only thing I might do, though, before actually swapping the start out is replace the battery terminal end...there looks like there's a little bit of corrosion on it., but, I honestly don't think that's the problem.

That'll teach me to buy a reman starter off of Ebay!!! I should have really known better.

OK...yes...the starter is bad.

But, let me mention something about the JTR book. In it, it says that you CANNOT use the standard direct drive GM starter and that you have to use a special gear reduction starter (which I bought).

ehhh!! Wrong answer private!!!

The standard GM direct drive starter works perfectly fine *in a 280Z*...don't know about the 240-260Z.

I basically spent $100+ dollars on a starter that I didn't need (which was bad anyway).

GM starters are so easy to repair, it's probably dirty, take it apart, clean it out and put it back, and Yes you need a grounding strat to the engine somewhere, I'm surprised you got this far without one. How is the energy going to get back to the battery? your engine is on rubber pads, your tranny is on rubber pads, your freekin diff is the only thing attached tot he body and it's a UNIBODY so it's not as good a ground as a wire. Your charge probably runs down your tranny, your driveshaft and through your diff to the body and then back to the battery. Hook a braided grounding strap to your starter directly from the battery.

Your problem should be much improved after this.

A loose, weak or bad ground can definitely cause problems (read death to) with the starter and alt! Been there, done that. We killed both the starter and alt in a Ford truck by not having a secure ground (the bolt bottomed before the lug was tight to the surface, and we did not notice since it was under the headers in a rather tight space).

Definitely add a grounding strap to your engine if you don't have one.

Joshua

Guest tony78_280z
But, let me mention something about the JTR book. In it, it says that you CANNOT use the standard direct drive GM starter and that you have to use a special gear reduction starter (which I bought).
I dunnow aht a direct drive starter is or a special gear reduction starter. I used the one that came with my motor when I picked it up from the junk yard. It started the first time, with the key! Of course, I had to slowly pour gas into the boosters of the carb because it wasn't all together at the time. I since burnt up that starter (it was slightly cracked from the junk yard anyhow) so I replaced it with another starter specified for the Model and Year of the motor. I havn't had any problems with it. I do, of course, have a 280z but I dunno what difference it makes. Power from battery to starter, starter grounds out through motor, motor grounds to battery. And then you just gotta find the right wire from the ignition switch.

Brandon, Jolane:

I have a grounding strap on my engine, so that isn't the problem. I already thought of that and even added a second grounding strap. It's an internal starter issue. The starter worked for a bit, but, started getting worse under the engine load. The regular direct drive starter that came on the El Camino engine (looks like an AC Delco rebuild) (plain ole GM starter) is working fine.

So...the problem is basically solved, except that I have a reman starter that refuses to start a car that was bought online by a company that can't seem to answer emails. Fortunately I didn't leave them any feedback yet...so, a little negative feedback is in order.

Anyway, the car starts fine now :) Thanks for the replies, however.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't have a grounding strap, rather, just to double check the cleaniness and tightness of the cable. I am glad that you have it running.

If you end up disposing of the dead starter, I would love to have it for mock up.

Thanks,

Joshua