HybridZ

acetone in your fuel??

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

He's Going To Try A Full Ratio (2 Oz Per 10 Gallons) Of 5 Oz Per Tank And See What The Difference Is.... Ohh By The Way His First Test Brought Him Up From 13.46mpg To 16.46mpg With About A 40% Lower Mixture Than The Recommended Ratio.

Guest bastaad525

I tend to believe stories or articles like these ones simply because... they aren't really trying to SELL you anything (well.. they are trying to get you to buy Acetone....). It's not like Slick 50 coming and claiming their miracle product does these wonderful things and them trying to sell it to you. I dont see any ads on the links given here trying to sell acetone... so w/o the obvious reason of trying to make a profit (which often motivates companies to 'over-hype' products, to put it nicely), with nothing really for them to gain by telling us this. I'm left thinking there's no good reason NOT to believe what they are saying.

Well, I bought into this idea of acetone. My vehicle averages 15-16 mpg depending on my right foot regardless of where I'm driving. On a road trip from Portsmouth, Va to Philadelphia, Pa (approximately 300 miles one way) I added 2 oz to about 13 gallons of fuel. At the next fill up (12.49g) I added nothing. The third fill up (13.1g) got 3 oz of acetone. The fourth (on the way home) got nothing. My results were as follows 1st (11.2 mpg), 2nd (16 mpg), 3rd (15.6 mpg), 4th ( I don't know). Why I don't know? My Land Rover (powered by a '96 chevy 4.3 F.I. Vortec V6) died, just died, about 150 miles from home at 11:30 PM and it was 3:30 before AAA got me home. Coincidence? I sure hope so. It could be a crankshaft sensor, rotor button, timing chain, broken camshaft, etc that took a dive. I don't feel I put enough acetone to cause trouble. I haven't had the time to look at the LR yet. I'm now driving my 240Z as temporary daily transportation. That won't last long because I don't want the miles or rain on her!

Conclusion, the 11 mpg must have been a fluke but I can't put a finger on it. Otherwise, I didn't see any measurable difference in mileage, whether highway or city driving, with or without the acetone. Maybe more acetone was needed or the 4.3 is as efficent as it is going to get.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Have You Read The Article? Its Says It Takes A While For The Full Effect And The Best Test Is Get A Baseline, Then Do Three Tests With A Set Amount Of Acetone Using The Same Gas As The Baseline, Then Do Three Without Using The Same Gas As The Previous Trials.

Like I Said Before A Large Electric Company In Hawaii Runs An Acetone Addative In Its Fuel For Its Entire Fleet, And A Co-worker Here Has Done It With Great Success.... Could Be A Fluke, And It Could Be A Problem With Your Engine, Who Knows, But It Does Have Some Successful Results.

Day one of acetone testing complete. Engine still intact, no flames visable from under hood. It appears to be consuming fuel at a slightly slower than normal rate, but I don't trust my gas gauge very much as it displays the typical eratic manners of most Chrysler Co. electronic devises. Empty-Full-Empty-Full-Full-3/4-Full-Empty-Etc. I think about the fuel consumption a lot as I drive now, which surely must have an effect as well. I'm driving like there are little baby skulls under the gas pedal (Egg shells is such an over used term....) Anyway, I'll post results as soon as I fill up again, probably on Thursday if I havent caught on fire by then.

Mike

It's official, someone call Guinness... My mileage has increased from 18.5 MPG to a healthy 18.7 MPG. I'll try one more batch in my tank before I discount this theory entirely. It's possible that the 98 Cherokee has a perfect combustion process, that cannot be improved upon. 100% efficient. But I kinda doubt that. It might be possible that any further gains in fuel efficiency will have to be made on the exhaust side of my engine. I'll most likely end up lifting this thing and putting mud tires on it anyway, so I guess striving for fuel efficiency will be a lost cause of sorts. Peace out,

Mike

I too am currently tyring out the acetone. It makes my exaust smell like paint thinner, but hey, im pretty sure that im getting far better gas milage. Ive already gone the distance i normally do with a full tank and have about 1/8 of a tank to go. Im guessing i'll get another 3-5 miles to the gallon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expectancy_effect

The expectancy effect (or experimenter effect) is a common problem in scientific experiments, a researcher or subject expects a given result, and tends to find it in the data. The effect is so powerful that the expensive and complex double blind methodology is needed to combat it.

I worked for a resin plant in the early nineties on the night shift. We had plenty of solvents to experiment with. When it was time to upgrade from a 318 to a 340 I thought I would try some fuel experiments on the old motor. The goal was power. I tried acetone which seemed to work best at starting a flooded motor by pouring it in the carb, not much of a power increase when two quarts was added to a ¾ tank. Toluene had the best power increase but was barely noticeable in the overall scope of things. I was bouncing ideas off our stationary engineer. He said that the rate of burn would be faster from the additive, but not produce more power because nothing additional was being added to the combustion chamber. The car ran noticeable warmer though.

The is nothing here that hasn’t been tried before.

How about a toluene, gas, nitrous mix?

Strange things are afoot in the combustion chambers of my Jeep. After establishing a baseline of about 18.5 MPG without the acetone, I tried 4 ounces in my 18 gallon tank. As noted earlier, MPG stayed nearly the same, not nearly enough increase to be considered a legitimate result. Running another tank through the Jeep without adding acetone resulted in a dismal 16.3 MPG. I drive the same route pretty much every day with minimal variation, gas was purchased from the same gas station on both occasions. Now, after adding acetone again, I've noticed that my fuel consumption rate is right at the 18-19 MPG level it was before. So although I never really saw an increase in fuel economy after adding acetone, I did see a pretty significant decrease after discontinuing it's use for one tank. Any thoughts?

Mike

I did not follow the rules of experimentation when using Acetone. I was on a 700 mile road trip (mostly highway). I felt this would yield better results due to a reduced variation in load and engine speed. The test bed includes purchasing the petrol from one source to provide more consistant results. The problem I have with that is the petrol will vary each time the station tanks are replenished null and voiding that constant. While there would be some measurable differences if the acetone is actually benefiting combustion and increasing mileage there should be a marked improvement in mileage across the board regardless of where the petrol is purchased. I failed to get that results but believe me when I say that I really wanted to.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

That Isn't Entirely True.... Different Brands Of Gas Will All Have Different Properties Either Raising Or Lowering Your Gas Milage. Yes There Should Have Been A Common Increase But Without You Knowing What That Actual Gas Was Giving You For Economy You Can't Tell If There Was A Increase Or Not.