HybridZ

Help Please???

I recently bought a second '76 (CA) 280z with big dreams however it had been stored a while after a supposed rebuild :confused2. Well I cranked it today and it ran like sh!T. Not so much noticable at idle until the smoke. Tracking the smoke down I could see it coming out of the pre-muffler and as I came back up I noticed the hose between the PCV valve and the block melting :shock:. I shut it off assuming this was a timing problem and the hose (block/pcv) was obviously on fire from the inside. Right now I'm assuming timing but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Edit: What is this hose called and where can I get it?

You might want to check the exhuast system and make sure some flying variant of a wasp hasn't made a home while it was stored.

THat hose sounds like the crankcase vent hose, but it has been some time since I worked on an L6, so maybe someone else can chime in... I'd also recommend going to an autoparts store and buying a Hayne's manual gfor the car.

Mike

Guest tony78_280z

Yeah, a Haynes for a 280z.. that is a joke. To get anything done with that model you need to get the book that claims to be for 240, 260 and 280. (Even though the 280 is only mentioned in the appendix.) and get a 280zx manual to help with the FI troubleshooting. Trust me.

Might want to get in touch with the Georgia Z club.Its a big group.Try to find a factory shop manual or borrow one.They have been going for 50 to 75 bucks on Ebay.Best money you can spend.Stay with the basics to start with as they are usually the culprit.Look at all the basic adjustments and obvious problems.vacuum leaks,stuck levers,rotten hoses,bad gas,fouled plugs,stuck injectors,stopped up filters,the usual junk.The datsun injection system is pretty basic and the engine is easy to work on so dont give up at the 1st problem.Its a 30 year old car thats been sitting so a bit of work is gonna be involved getting it back in order.And dont believe anything a previous owner tells you till you check it yourself.Good luck!

Yeah, a Haynes for a 280z.. that is a joke. To get anything done with that model you need to get the book that claims to be for 240, 260 and 280. (Even though the 280 is only mentioned in the appendix.) and get a 280zx manual to help with the FI troubleshooting. Trust me.

Yeah, I have both and it is still guess work on a few things.