HybridZ

relocating battery

JaysZ

whats the best way to do this? i'd like to get an oddyssey 680 dry cell and mount it in the center right behind the seat in one of the access panels. would 4awg speaker cable do ok? i have 1/0 awg in my honda but since i'm not putting a massive stereo in the Z, it might not be necessary. i do plan on putting some amps and a sub in the spare tire well though.

Guest 81na ZX

Lets see... the run is about 6' probally. lets be safe and say 10'

Now you'll see about 150A to start.

now we look it up on a handy dandy reference chart....

150A over 10' is the absolute limit for 4awg.

So 4awg would be ok, but if you don't put a 150A fuse within 12-18" from the battery and the starter ever uses over 150A, your runinng a firse risk...

Thanks for the tips guys, hopefully I can do all of this soon! So the Odyssey P680 is a good battery to get to keep inside the cabin right?

peej, i have a 200amp breaker in my honda from phoenix gold that set me back $50.. so thats a great deal. :)

Thanks for the tips guys' date=' hopefully I can do all of this soon! So the Odyssey P680 is a good battery to get to keep inside the cabin right?

peej, i have a 200amp breaker in my honda from phoenix gold that set me back $50.. so thats a great deal. :)[/quote']

yeah i spent about 50 on my first one too, ive seen those breakers for sale as cheap as 5 bucks

Guest 81na ZX
It'll still need to be in a sealed box.

Not a SLA battery, like the Odyssey. SLA batteries have no liquid in them and don't produce gasses. Every rules body says boxes are not needed with SLA batteries.

right.. from what i understand dry cells do not leak any fumes or liquids and can be placed at any angle and w/o a box. is this correct?

Sparky' date=' do you have any issues? how do you like the battery?[/quote']

Sounds like one of my next things to buy. Got a link by any chance to a PC680 battery?? ANYONE .. :redface:

thanks

j

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Thats Not The Same Thing..... Sealed Lead Acid Batteries Leak And Produce Noxious Gases. We Used To Run Those At Work But Because They Are Non-servicable They Last Half As Long As A Normal Lead Acid Battery.

A Dry Cell Takes No Fluid For Electrolisys To Happen It Uses A Gel Of Some Sort To Contain The Conductivity. The Gel Doesn't Vaporize Or Break Down Like Lead Acid So It Lasts Alot Longer And Can Operate In Any Direction, If You Lay A Lead Acid Or Sealed Lead Acid On Its Side You Won't Get Full Power And Get Less Life.

right.. from what i understand dry cells do not leak any fumes or liquids and can be placed at any angle and w/o a box. is this correct?

Sparky' date=' do you have any issues? how do you like the battery?[/quote']

I love it, It stores very well, and cranks over no problem, PLUS is so light and tiny you can mount it just about anywhere. I have yet to have any problems with it,,,time well tell though as honestly I haven't been using it that long.

From what I've read though, and heard from other users, With my application it should hold up very well.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Do You Guys Have Any Problems With Only 280 Amps?

I'm Just Worried That If I Went To That Battery I Would Be Shooting Myself In The Foot Trying To Run Lights, Gauges, Wipers, A/c, And A V8 Ignition All With Only A 280 Amp Battery And 100 Amp Alternator..... It Just Doesn't Seem Like Enough.

Guest 81na ZX

Well it depends - do you run all that stuff while trying to start the car in 0F temperatures?

At 0F, the PC680 puts out the 280 cranking amps (CCA)

At 68F, the PC680 puts out 680 cranking amps.

once the car is running, your battery is doing nothing but recharging. The ONLY job a battery has is to run the ignition.

But if your planning on starting the car often in the middle of a northern winter, that battery isn't for you.

If your planning on playing with the accessories with the car off, that battery isn't for you (small reserve capacity)

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I Guess Thats True.... Its So Light Its Almost Worth It And I Could Always Run Dual Batterys And Still Be Lighter Than The Normal Battery.

The PC680 comes with two options: A metal case and/or SAE sized terminals. If anyone's interested I sell the basic PC680 for $95.65, the metal jacketted one for $106.65, and the SAE terminals are a $7.32 add-on to the above prices. I also make an aluminum bracket to mount the PC680 upright.

I've sold and installed a few of these in 240Zs.

http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/OdysseyBatteries.html

Unfortunately I can't match the $75 prices you sometimes see on eBay. I pay about $10.00 more then that for my cost. I guess if I started selling hundreds...