HybridZ

Rear Hatch Seal

I am getting ready to install my hatch which I plan to weld in place. Then I remembered that I need a new seal. :icon8: Does anyone have a thought on a non-oem replacement that could work? Something I could grap at a local parts store that might fit? I am planning on installing the hatch Sunday and don't have time to order one from MSA. I thought someone posted something about this but my search did not pan out, though I plan on trying again. I do have a brand new rear hatch seal for a 94 Jimmy that I bought but never used. I may try to cut that up and use it. Thoughts?

Rufus

Hey Rufus:

I searched last week and came up with someone recommending a seal off a 240 SX. I was going to try the one off my Grand Cherokee. I haven’t measured it for length yet, but the molding has the right cross sectional shape.

I used 300zx weatherstripping for the hatch seal in one of my cars, worked well just had to trim a foot or so off of it. Had to slam the hatch shut hard to get it to close, left it overnight and it closed normally after that, figured that was a good sign.

A lot of the nissan cars use the same type seal on the hatchback but different sized depending on the car, just had access to a 300zx seals for free and thats probably the only reason I used it over anything else.

Isuzu impulse weatherstripping works good on the doors.

Why do you need a seal when you are welding it in? Am I misunderstanding? It seems like you would just seal it by welding it solid all around. What is to seal after this?

Thanks' date='

Joshua[/quote']

Joshua,

I agree that is what I was thinking however, I am afraid of fumes. I suffered from them so bad that it has me wondering. Also, even though I am welding "most" of it closed (left that part out) the center of it will still open/close. I am basically narrowing the rear window.

:icon8: My CAD drawing wont open. Maybe someone could post it if I send it to them?

Guest bastaad525

yeah or you'll get a totally different kind of fumes and IMO burning rubber smells worse than Z stink :)

if you're going to weld it in, why not just use some of the generic weather stripping that you can pick up someplace like autozone? Cheap, cut to length and should work great and be quick to get.