HybridZ

Aluminum gas tanks?

dot

Aluminum gas tanks?

I found a line on an aluminum hydraulic tank that would be suitable for a fuel tank. I noticed that not many people consider using aluminum for gas. I know they get used for diesel all the time. The tank is a good thickness and lighter than the steel one I currently use. A racing fuel cell is just over kill for use on this car. Is there problem with aluminum and gas? Does corrosion become more of an issue? Accidents? Any ideas?

I can't imagine that there are any issues with aluminum and gas (corrosion, etc.) Tons of fuel cells are aluminum. I've seen street rod tanks made of aluminum. I've placed my aluminum cell inside a steel tube frame to give it some protection, but I don't think it's any less safe than steel tanks. My $.02

Aluminum has a tendency to work harden over time causing cracking. They use to make motorcycle gas tanks out of aluminum but had problems with cracking at the welds. Just watch how you mount the tank and support the bottom to stop any tin canning of the bottom.

Ok, thanks gentlemen.

I could see a motorcycle tank weld breaking form all the vibration. I can’t see it being a problem on a strap supported auto tank. I just haven’t seen them on any cars in my area and wondered if there was something going on I wasn’t aware of. Probably aluminum is just an expense that is not justified with the amount of weight saved on most applications.

Thanks again, I shall forge ahead.

I had an aluminum tank fabricated last year and it has worked out very well (I needed specific dimensions and shape that were unavailable from mass produced tanks). I had an issue with a few welds not sealing up where the bead was terminated, but that was resolved and so far its been well worth the time and expense.