HybridZ

Does 280Z rims fit on 240Z, 260Z, 280Z?

Guest ON3GO

like the subject says...do they?

reason is my friend just picked up a junked 280ZX with its factory rims, and there in great shape.. so he said he would sell them to me for dirt cheap...

so if they fit please let me no so i can get them now..

mike

Greimann,

Thank you for saying that! (This is not directed at you ON3GO) Sooooo many people say that, it gets on my nerves! Don't you love it when you get some poor sap talking about his Honda and he says, "Well check it, it gots springs, a full on race wing, windshield sprayer lights, rims wit some phat rubber, some boom'n ICE (In Car Entertainment), a HONDA sticker on the windshield, and some PIAA fog lights." Now as you stare at this kid with the 'deer caught in the headlights look', you think to yourself hmmm... I think he meant that he has lowering springs, a spoiler that does nothing for a front wheel drive vehicle (which by the way doubles as a park bench), windshield sprayer lights? (still trying to figure this one out), RIMS? Aaargghh! why don't you learn about something before you talk about it? Is it that hard to do?, everyone is entitled to some ICE, a HONDA sticker? Well that's good it says HONDA, because I almost mistaken it for a friggen FERRARI, and fog lights?, well I guess he cares about his saftey during the ever so frequent foggy nights. I would like to say again that this is not directed at you ON3GO, just had to get something off my back. Wheww... I feel better smile.gif I would also like to say that I used to be a part of that import rice scene years ago with a '90 CRX that was pretty decked out TASTEFULLY, so please no flaming me about rice.

!M!

Guys, Pardon me for disagreeing here, but I think the term rims was used appropriately. After all, when refering to fitment of 'wheels' from one car type to another, the rims may fit whereas the wheels may not. Even though the rim off set and width and diameter may well work, the tire size fitted to that rim (making up the wheel) may cause the package not to fit.

Just throwing my wrench in there twak.gifhail.gif:D

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Hold on fellas.. I am still consultig the dictionary for a precise opinion. And now I gotta bite my tounge when I use the term "rims" for "those cool round thangs" LOL

i quote dictionary.com

rim Pronunciation Key (rm)

n.

The usually curved or circular border or edge of an object. See Synonyms at border.

The circular outer part of a wheel, furthest from the axle.

A circular metal structure around which a wheel tire is fitted.

wheel Pronunciation Key (hwl, wl)

n.

A solid disk or a rigid circular ring connected by spokes to a hub, designed to turn around an axle passed through the center.

Something resembling such a disk or ring in appearance or movement or having a wheel as its principal part or characteristic, as:

The steering device on a vehicle.

A potter's wheel.

A water wheel.

A spinning wheel.

Games. A device used in roulette and other games of chance.

A firework that rotates while burning.

Informal. A bicycle.

An instrument to which a victim was bound for torture during the Middle Ages.

wheels Forces that provide energy, movement, or direction: the wheels of commerce.

The act or process of turning; revolution or rotation.

A military maneuver executed in order to change the direction of movement of a formation, as of troops or ships, in which the formation is maintained while the outer unit describes an arc and the inner or center unit remains stationary as a pivot.

wheels Slang. A motor vehicle or access thereto: Do you have wheels tonight?

Slang. A person with a great deal of power or influence: a wheel in state government.

It says:A circular metal structure around which a wheel tire is fitted.

so therefor calling it a "rim" is proper use of english.

LOL sorry i had to beat you to it tomahawk

Alright, here you go:

Multi-Piece Wheels,

This type of wheel utilizes two or three components assembled together to produce a finished wheel . Multi-piece wheels can use many different methods of manufacturing. Centers can be cast in various methods or forged. The rim sections for 3-piece wheels are normally spun from disks of aluminum. Generally, spun rim sections offer the ability to custom-tailor wheels for special applications that would not be available otherwise. The rim sections are bolted to the center and normally a sealant is applied in or on the assembly area to seal the wheel . This type of 3-piece construction was originally developed for racing in the early 1970s and has been used on cars ever since. The 3-piece wheels are most popular in the 17†and larger diameters.

There are now many options for 2-piece wheels in the market. The 2-piece wheel design does not offer as wide a range of application that a 3-piece wheel allows, however they are more common in the market and the prices start well below the average 3-piece wheel . Some 2-piece wheels have the center bolted into a cast or cast/spun rim section and other manufacturers press centers into spun rim sections and weld the unit together. When BBS developed a new 2-piece wheel to replace the previous 3-piece street wheel , they used the special rim -rolling technology (originally developed for racing wheels ) to give the rim section the weight and strength advantages similar to a forged rim . On the high-end of the 2-piece wheel market you can find wheels using forged rims and forged centers. Since these are only sold in small volume and due to the high development and production costs associated with the forging process, they tend to be on the high end of the price scale.

This was taken from the Tire Rack. As you can see, they talk about the wheel as a whole and a rim as a component of a wheel. The rim is also known as the lip of a one piece wheel or the mounting surface for the tire. Also, it might be the Milwaukee's Best Light getting to me, but it took a long time to make all those "wheels" and "rims" bold... ahh I'm just having fun with you now guys :D:D

!M!

Guest greimann

Yes, they will fit. Z's and ZX's - '70 to'83 - wheels are interchangable.

Pardon me for taking this opportunity to be a grumpy engineer and stickler for accuracy, but a RIM is a component of a WHEEL. I know this is popular vernacular for cool looking round things that support a tire, but people would sound so much more tuned in to the hobby / sport if they used the right terminology. 2thumbs.gif

Guest greimann

Guys,

I think we all can agree that if someone say "rim" or "wheel" we understand the concept that is being communicated. It is similar to using terms like "homies" or "friends".One is slang, the other is a common description. What I think the larger issue is being serious enough about our hobby to learn and use accurate language to intelligently describe parts and problems with our vehicles. We all know the difference between shocks and struts, and would be quick to correct (flame) the un-initiated (noob) as to the proper terms.

Just trying to raise the bar for us all. It is what separates the men from zcar.com cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

LOL, was not the wheel one of the first inventions some time after fire starting and we are still debating the proper word description in cyberspace.After all these decades, language is still not a precise science when you include the human element.

OK now I am confused.

Is a "rim" only the outer part of the metal par malebitchslap.gifmalebitchslap.gif t that is used to seat the tire bead? Is the portion where the lug nuts bolt on technically part of the "rim"?

If I buy a set of "Cragar SS"'s with no rubber, are these not rims? Or are they rims with integral bolt hub carriers?

And if you want to know if a certain "wheel" will fit on your Z, then wouldn't you have to specify the dimensions of the rim AND the tire size to know? malebitchslap.gifmalebitchslap.gifmalebitchslap.gif

Guest greimann

Wow, I had no idea a simple bitch on my part would generate so much dialog! If anything it is stimulating people to think for themselves and do a little research.

Originally posted by Jim Powers:

OK now I am confused.

Is a "rim" only the outer part of the metal part that is used to seat the tire bead?

*YES*

Is the portion where the lug nuts bolt on technically part of the "rim"?

*NO*

If I buy a set of "Cragar SS"'s with no rubber, are these not rims?

*NO, they are wheels without tires*

Or are they rims with integral bolt hub carriers?

*MAYBE.that is not really a standard definition that anyone woud recognize. That still acknowledges that a rim is a component of a whole entity*

And if you want to know if a certain "wheel" will fit on your Z, then wouldn't you have to specify the dimensions of the rim AND the tire size to know?

*A wheel with a tire is just that, a wheel and tire combination. The strict meaning of wheel never includes a tire. What you really want to know is whether a certain wheel and tire combination will fit*

For further reading:

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#wheeltrm

Originally posted by Jim Powers:

OK, now I understand. Just like a bicycle wheel is composed of a rim, hub and spokes.

?!?! What?

THAT'S why I kept falling down on my bike! I'd forgotten the hub and spokes. I thought having alloy rims was enough!

And I thought it had something to do with my technique. Thanks for clearing it up!

:D

Scott Ferguson

1974 260-Z

1996 Cannondale SR500