HybridZ

LS1 Z32, motor mounted, few questions.

First off, Hi to everyone! I don't even remember if I've ever posted with this account, but I've been reading way before I ever registered. All the cars, all the tech, it's amazing. I've had some poor luck getting ahold of some of the individuals who've completed the Z32/LS1 project, so maybe it's something that can be answered in general.

Little background, before hand:

I purchased, after two years of searching, for a perfect slicktop Z32. It had a blown headgasket and some valve tick but I was still able to drive it from Pembroke Pines, FL, to Tampa. That's a stout motor, only burned probably 8oz of coolant. Anyways, after I got it back home, I'm stationed at Macdill AFB, my father came to pick it up and take it back to Atlanta for the install. Took some time off, pulled the block, mounted the LS1/T56 and then had to go back to Tampa. Since leave is precious, I just wanted to get some help before I went at it blind. I'm fairly good with electricity and continuity, only singed body hair once.:wink:

Here's the questions I have about te install:

1. Can I use my Nissan powersteering/power braking systems with the LS1, or will I have to mate it up with one from an FBody or Corvette system?

2. Same thing with the air condition condenser. OEM Nissan, GM, or aftermarket? Can't live without A/C in Florida, so this is a pertinent issue.

3. Will I be able to retain cruise control if I use the GM actuator? Seems pretty cut and dry that it would work, just didn't know it there was an external system that controled it or if it were all ECU.

4. With wiring schematics on hand, would it be possible, or worth it for that matter, to try to splice the gauge lines into the stock Nissan gauge cluster? I'm looking to keep the interior as stock as possible, minus a set of lightweight seats.

I know KrazeeZX has it all, but he hasn't returned an of my emails or IMs, not that I think you guys are second rate by any means, but I did try to go to the source. :) Thanks for any input, you guys. This is as much a learning experience as it is a first-time project with my father. We never really had too much in common with one another, because we had too much in common, personality-wise. (If that even makes sense, lol.) So when I entered the military we became great friends, guess he was just proud or something, but when I proposed this project he jumped all over it. Anyways, this became an essay, so I'll just wait for you guys!

First welcome to the site. Have you checked out this thread???

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99731

As far as member KrazeeZX goes as far as I can tell he has been "missing in action" since DEC. 04.

LARRY

I haven't read that thread in particular, but I did speak with and purchase one from Adlashwa. Perhap Absolute's might have some of the answers for that. I'll drop him and email. In the mean time, I'm still open for inputs!

You should be able to use the Nissan condensor and evaporator with out issue. You will just have to fabricate the rest of the system as far as lines, reciever/drier and if you are going to use an orfice tube or H-block system. Then you will have to figure out how to hook it up to the Nissan control head inside the car and then wire it to the PCM so that it "knows" when to turn the comressor on and off. You should also have it wired so that the radiator fan will kick on to a high speed when the A/C is on, IMHO.

Oh and welcome aboard!

Guy

Guest yanos

I just sent money to Adlashwa for his manual, but after reading that thread I am concerned that I wasted my money. Has anyone had experience with this "manual"? Or with Absoultes, for that matter. Have a NA 91 Zx with a broken rod, so this looked like the right project for me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hope I didn't hijack this thread.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Back to your original questions. Can only answer a few but here goes.

1) Brakes should be completely independent of the LS1 except for hoking up the vacuum source. That is what was done with my installation and it works fine.

2) The only thing not original on my AC system is the compressor. The rest is all old Nissan - including running R-12 refrigerant.

3) Can't help you with the cruise control. Don't have that funciton on mine.

4) Ran all the LS1 pick-ups back to the LS1 ECM. Found spots for and installed the sensors for the Nissan gauges in the LS1 and maintained all the original gauges. You'll have to electrically modify the tach to take the 8 cylinder input vs the 6 but it can be done. The engine temperature and oil pressure is just a function of finding the spot to put the Nissan sender. The fuel gauge should be totally unaffected as long as you use the original tank. I'm not sure about the speedometer. You have an electrically driven one in the Z32 but I don't know if it speaks the same language as the T56 output. I imagine a god sparky can figure it out.

This is all based on a conversion in a '77 280Z but it should translate to the Z32 pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yanos

Did any one ever end up purchasing Anarchy's Manual? I just got Adlashwa's manual and I am wondering about differences between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. I'm back from the dead. Well.. Ive just finally got some time to get back to my car.. life's been hectic lately.

Sorry for lack of response to IMs or emails... Ive just been swamped, so Ill try to help you out here.

1) Power steering - I have the LS1 power steering pump running in my Z. The high pressure line is kinda spliced down to the Z32 front rack-&-pinion. It feels wonderful steering using the bigger pump. The only problem I have is that my 'spliced' high pressure line leaks, so I'm going to take it somewhere to have a hard-line fabricated.

Power braking - chevy master & slave cylinders.

2) AC - A project for myself in the future. I dont believe there is any room for the Nissan or Chevy accessories. I'm looking to go aftermarket and probably have Vintage Air fab up a system for me. Oh.. and I'm in Texas... so I know what you mean about not having AC. Another thing concerning this... make sure you have a hefty radiator. The LS1 likes to run warm, but if you end up sitting in traffic and have your AC going.. you need a thick radiator and some mean fans cooling your Z or you'll overheat. (this is an ongoing battle for me)

3) I went ahead and ditched cruise control. I used it all the time previously, but seriously... you're going to have a Z with a Chevy v8... I get where I'm giong quickly. ;) I just don't think it's necessary.

4) Gauges - Simply... NO. I tried and tried and tried to keep my stock cluster. It never worked. I got my fuel gauge to stay working, but what always ended up happening was a really stubborn signal to the Tach and no signal reaching any other gauges. I have all Autometers.. and besides my LS1 in the engine bay.. my gauge cluster received the most compliments of anything. It's a little pricey, but it'll save you a TON of headaches down the road.

Funny how all your goals with your Z seem to be in-line with mine. I wanted my Z to be as stock as possible. I managed to keep everything identical except my gauges and shifter (which I'm going to have a stock z32 knob adapted to fit).

Good luck with everything, hopefully Ill be on here more often to help when I can.

-Vann

• 1 year later...