HybridZ

Dyno test and....

Well today was fun ... then not so fun... then better :)

I went and did 4 pulls on the dyno. First one was 331hp at 5200 rpm and 378 ft lbs torque at 3200 rpm... not what I was expecting but ok... I still have some tweaking to do on it. It was pinging a bit too, so I retarded the ignition and we ran another pull. 405 hp at 5400rpm and 412 ft lbs torque at 4470 rpm. Well that's much better!! Did another 2 pulls with the best being 410 hp at 5600 rpm and 419 ft lbs torque at 4300 rpm. I'm really glad I went! So I probably am getting about 450hp at the engine which is what Dyno 2000 predicted!

So I leave (I'm about 1 1/2 hours from home), THUMP! CLANG CLANK CLANG CLANK. !@&$*&^#$^$#&!!! Sounds like my R-200 broke. Add some load and it goes away. I get out and look... no fluid leaking... nothing hanging down.... hmmm.... I'll try to drive home. As long as I kept a load on the drivetrain it didn't make any noise. Very wierd. I figured maybe I lost a spider gear? I have a phantom grip in it so I really wasn't sure how it would all work in there. I made it back home after a lot of banging and clanking. Get it up on jack stands and OH! I didn't think of this! I have Pete's (well Ron Tyler's... but I heard about it from Pete!) rear diff mount. I used the stock GM trans mount. Ripped the thing right in half and the drivesharf universal joint was resting on the rear sway bar! Ok under load the diff lifts up and no more noise.... well that makes sense! I just went and read the writup on the diff mount again to check the part numbers and OH (again) I guess I should have read it better. It happened to him twice. That's what I get for not reading it better the first time! So I just ordered an energy suspension mount that he actually Says to use... sheesh....

Well I'm glad I didn't break the R-200 (well yet anyway!) and the mount is really easy to replace... just means I have to wait for the part.

All in all not too bad of a day... could have been worse!

Guest Battle Pope

Hey, that's great!

Good to hear, too. If the R200 can hold those numbers on the dyno then it should hold up to a stock big-block. For awhile anyway.

It's not really the amount of power that you send through a rear end that usually kills it...it's the sudden "shock" of torque that you send through a rear end while launching from a sudden stop.

Good numbers. I bet your car feels better on the road now???

Wow, nice numbers! :2thumbs::mrgreen:

The way that differential mount is designed, it [the transmission mount] will only seperate if you give it quite a bit of throttle in reverse. But, with those torque numbers, it's going to be a pain to be carefull :-D With the poly mount, even if it seperates, it will not fall down onto your sway bar again. You'll see what I mean when you get it and see how it's designed.

!M!

I'll probably have the mount by Tuesday... I hate waiting especially when it's nice outside!!! So I'm know how it drives then! I am still amazed that the small timing change I did made 70 hp difference... and it was retarding it! That's so cool! No ping at all now.... Thanks grumpy for the cam advice!

awd92gsx: kinda.... I added another album in my yahoo photos (see sig), called Old Z. This is all of the shots I have of it anymore.

HarrisonTX: I've got the dyno sheets to prove it! LOL!! It really did amaze me that it was that dramatic, I wouldn't have thought it would change so much. Nothing else changed though and I changed the timing while it was on the dyno and ran it about 3 minutes apart! The next 3 runs were 405, 409, and 410. So it was consistant after I changed it!

Guest bastaad525

Did the dyno operator change anything between runs? While it makes perfect sense that you gained power by retarding timing, since you were pinging... I've only seen the results of detonation on a dyno graph once on my own car, and from the point pinging started, power dropped off badly and got very erratic... I didn't really 'gain' any power when i dropped the timing back a bit, but rather, 'gained back' the upper end of the power band and hence came up with a higher HP number.

I'm betting the dyno operator did something differently or changed something after the first run.

Guest 73TPIZ

Demidion,

awesome numbers. What's your setup? Is that a destroked 400? I'm gonna replace the 305 in my Z with a 355 but I thought of upstroking the 350 in my truck. The 383 should have the torque peak lower than your 377, wouldn't it? It'd be better for towing and such in a truck.

Again, great numbers.

Ok... for those of you that wanted to see the sheets... I created an album called Dyno (see link in my sig!). I put all of them there.

73TPIZ: Yes it is a destroked 400... you can see the details of my setup here

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=65990&page3&pp=25

on page 3. I would think a 383 would match up fairly well... but I've done things to lower the torque etc in the lower rpm range and for a truck and towing you want to do the exact opposite.

demidion...I copied this from a earlier post of yours....... You are a brave man......

"Well. I am pretty much finished with the conversion. Have the car running really well. I'm absolutely amazed at 1: how fast it is... about 4.5 sec 0 -60 and I should be able to get it a little lower. 2: how well balanced, how solid the body feels, how nicely it handles. It is also very easy to control. I was worried about having a problem controlling the wheel spin. No problem at all. I almost always am doing exactly what I want to with it. I've driven it in the rain, still very easy to control, no excess spin etc... Great car!!"

If there is just the mention of rain, my car is in the garage...:mrgreen:

LARRY

LOL! It really just depends what your experience is... I used to own the Z pictured in my icon. I autocrossed it and it had 12:1 pistons, seriously ported head, wild cam etc.... That one didn't make as much HP as my 280 and it was much more of a bear to drive. I got used to really pushing the first one to it's limits when autocrossing, so this isn't hard to drive at all!

Heh I know a lot of people that won't take their Z out in the rain! I have always been of the mind that I built it to drive it and damn it if I can I'm going to! Only if the is snow on the road won't I take it out. I think it would be way too easy to do donuts without wanting to!!!

Those are awsome numbers, I am impressed. I think Jerry up in Texarkana, Tx. is running a 377 in his 280Z. He even has a little giggle gas to help too.

Mike

Wow' date=' nice numbers! :2thumbs::mrgreen:

The way that differential mount is designed, it [the transmission mount'] will only seperate if you give it quite a bit of throttle in reverse. But, with those torque numbers, it's going to be a pain to be carefull :-D With the poly mount, even if it seperates, it will not fall down onto your sway bar again. You'll see what I mean when you get it and see how it's designed.

!M!

heh - I ripped my GM tranny mount just tightening the nut onto the stud in the mount - that torque was enough to rip the flat plate that the stud is mounted to right off the rubber block. I first knew it broke the second I backed the car out of the garage for the first voyage!

The urethane mounts are interlocking, so they won't just rip apart like that.

Nice dyno numbers BTW!!