HybridZ

My Best... Kill.... EVER!!!! More fun than a barrel of ponies :)

Guest bastaad525

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bastaad525
JAMIE T must be loving this thread......:burnout:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100284

LARRY

Heh... if I wrote a thread about it every time I handed someone a beat down I'd need MY OWN section on the boards just to keep them all!

really I'm exaggerating I don't do it that often... hell I've barely driven the car in like five months... just thought I'd try to be funny :) Seriously though I am VERY selective about when and where I will actually do this kinda stuff... not just the safety issue (mine as much as anyone elses... you think I trust this 30 year old tin can not to kill me if I crash it??? you think I don't know the side effect of a 240z being so dang light???) but because I do NOT want to risk having my car taken and crushed by the police. I've not once gotten ANY kind of ticket while driving any of my Z's... and have never had an accident in 8 years of driving daily and six years of owning modded Z's *knocking on wood*. The only speeding ticket I've ever gotten was in my wifes Toyota Camry!!

Sorry, if you think you have an idea about your car's performance from a street race you are deluding yourself, not being realistic. I'm not trying to be a jerk, that's just the way it is. You can't say anything about "the average" anything driver unless you have done some kind of random sampling, and even then, running them on the street tells you nothing.

Just go to the track! It's not a big deal.

That's funny you bring up racing a Cobra, because I managed to line up next to an almost brand new Porsche 996 Turbo when I was in a 2003 Cobra. He thought he had me, because he tricked me at the light (I was talking to him and he launched), so I followed. As he tried to wave bye, I proceeded to drive right around and pass him. His comment after hearing the blower whine, "that thing got a turbo?"

Then he tries to say how his car can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds and has a 190MPH top speed. Whoopdy friggin' do! I'm sure he can drive it to those numbers too.

Anyway, nice kill for the Cobra, or maybe Fobra if I read your story right.

A little info for the Cobra's:

1999 - 320 HP 4.6L DOHC V8 (overated and had a recall for new exhaust to make more power)

2001 - 320 HP 4.6L DOHC V8 (had the exhaust fix and putting around 280+ to the wheels)

2003/2004 - 390HP 4.6L DOHC Supercharged V8 (extremely underated; some of the cars with the later computer in 2004 making close to 390 to the wheels. That's easily over 420HP to the crank)

Just for reference, my parent's 03 was making around 360 RWHP stock. When we had it dyno'ed with intake and exhaust, we dyno'ed something like 395RWHP. With the 2.8" pulley, ported blower, intake, shorty headers, cat-back exhaust, 100mm oval bore throttle body, and custom tune made 498.9RWHP in 95+ degree F heat and after several runs right after another.

Oh...before I forget, the easiest way to tell the 99/01's from the 03/04's, just look at the rear spoiler. The 99/01's have a raised spoiler, and the 03/04's are a lip with no gap between itself and the trunk.

2001 Cobra:

http://www.fallscitymustangclub.com/m/images/todd_smith/lowered_frontquarter_sm1.jpg

2003/2004 Cobra:

http://www.bassani.com/gallery/gallery/2003%20Cobra1.jpg

Guest bastaad525
Sorry' date=' if you think you have an idea about your car's performance from a street race you are deluding yourself, not being realistic. I'm not trying to be a jerk, that's just the way it is. You can't say anything about "the average" anything driver unless you have done some kind of random sampling, and even then, running them on the street tells you nothing.

Just go to the track! It's not a big deal.[/quote']

I'm really getting a little tired of hearing this....

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree. About going to the track, how is this so much better at accurately determining exactly what my car is capable of? You guys talk about going to the track as the ONLY way to know how fast your car really is... like THAT is such an exact science. Well I dont think it is. There are SO many variables that can affect a car's performance at any given time, things like weather, the fact that I'm a pretty big guy, and my own ability to drive the car in such a way as to get the optimum acceleration out of it (or inability), and many other things can all result in much slower times than what my car can really do. So do you think if I go to the track and only run a 14 flat that that means that's all my car is capable of? Maybe it's a hot day? Maybe I'm a crappy driver? Maybe there's a strong headwind?? Only if I go several times could I even start to think that whatever results I'm getting would be really giving an actual picture. And that's only if I make NO changes to my setup in between runs... if I'm making changes that are affecting the cars performance, I'd be chasing my tail. The fact is, I don't have the time to go to the track, let alone on a regular basis. And even if I did, no one ever taught me the proper way to drag race a car... dont know how much of it I'd figure out just on my own through practice, but I think even after many runs you still would not see an indication of what my car is TRULY capable of. Especially with a turbo... launching this car optimally seems to be a lot harder than I'd have thought. It's just so much more easy to bog or spin than to just dig in and go... I'm sure there are guys who could do it much better than me.

I do think I can get at least a ballpark idea of my cars performance potential from a street race if the car I'm racing is a relatively known quantity. You're right, it's not realistic for me to expect to really get a close idea, there are just too many variables, but I said already... I don't consider it anything like a science at all... just a rough ballpark idea. I don't think that's being unrealistic at all. I think the fact that I was able to beat him the second time even after he got a significant head start DOES at least offer some indication of my own cars potential. Take the launch out of the equation and it becomes a battle of hp and weight, and when and how good the drivers shift. Simple fact is, my car was faster, even with his head start. If that's not enough to give me an idea of my car's potential, well then, at least I know it's faster than one guys '99 Cobra!!

now, I can go to the dyno and get some numbers to try to get an idea of performance potential but then you guys will just say how dyno numbers are all relative and not any real indication of the cars performance potential either.

Or maybe if I got some professional driver to drive my car for me then MAYBE I'd consider that a better indication but then how do I know how good THAT guy really is or what variables affected HIS performance?

Seems to me there is no really accurate way to tell how fast your car really is unless you're a track fiend that goes on a regular basis and has tens of runs under your belt. Even then, I imagine that most people who do go to the track often make constant changes and adjustments to their setups, constantly affecting the performance potential of their cars... so even after 100 runs, who's to say the time they run is a really accurate representation of what the car can do?

You keep going to the track and getting your timeslips, it's enough for me to say that I dynoed X amount of HP and have taken down cars like Evo's and Cobra's... THAT'S my timeslip.

I'm glad you guys were having fun killing your 'snakes.' Along with it, no fighting like the rice will do.

I had an encounter with a '67 Mach 1 coming out of a cruise-in, and we both hit the gas when the light changed. Mine being the stock L28 and Auto trans didn't look up or anything, but _I_DO_ have the RPM and cornering advantage! LOL

The other guy was a buddy from high school I havent seen in 22 years, so we were just out for fun.

In ANY case, I will guarantee you that -I- have the trophy in regards to "the cool factor" against any other car! LOL I'd rather be a lady "killer," too ;)

thx & be casual out there-- too much road rage.

You're tired of hearing it? Well, there's an easy way to guarantee you'll never hear it again. Don't say silly things like that.

The reasons you are arguing are exactly why you can't use street racing as a metric, so thanks for supporting my point. On the street, all those variables AND the reaction time, distance, speed measurements are up in the air. Going to the track gives you exact timed measurements of your runs. Who said it determines exactly what the car is capable of? It determines what YOU are capable of in the car, on that day, in those conditions. With repeated runs you can average out those conditions to get an idea of your car's potential with you driving. Then, if you really want to, you can "bench race."

Going in the opposite direction (racing on the street) and then quoting track times that someone ran as a measurement of how the guy you just raced "might" have run, and trying to use that as a standard to judge your own track times is utterly ridiculous. Just think about it in context instead of getting riled up.

If you decide to go to the track one day, make ten runs and see how your first run goes compared to your last run, you will understand immediately how unreasonable your assumptions were, I PROMISE you. Or just watch! Watch people run 15's and 16's in stock cars that "the average driver can run mid-13's in." Observe how their times vary!

From your posts, it sounds like until you take my advice, you're not going to understand. So, I implore you, JUST GO TO THE TRACK.

Guest Battle Pope

I've never raced anywhere, be it the track or the street, but I can see where he's coming from about it being a valid comparison. Not on any measurable level, but it's still an accomplishment to know that at least your skills and/or equipment is better than X car with X driver. I won't condone street racing, and I never will. Just saying I can see where he's coming from.

It makes more sense to race on the track. No risk of getting huge citations (or worse in some cases). Street racing I would assume would be more "thrilling" for some people though, just for the added adrenaline of "doing something bad". I can also see where some people would race better on the street - usually it's about more than your 60-foot and quarter-mile time.

I've never raced anywhere, be it the track or the street, but I can see where he's coming from about it being a valid comparison. Not on any measurable level,

That is what I said, so, that's where _I_ am coming from, not him.

Here is what he said "I think I can safely say, if I was 2-3 cars ahead of him and pulling away by 80mph even after he had a head start, and guesstimating that I should be at close to 100mph in a 1/4 mile, means we still had a little ways to go to reach that distance... I must be good for at least a mid 13, and that was with a crappy launch to boot!"

And...no. Absolutely not. You are good for a mid 13 when you have run a mid 13 on the track and have a record of it. End of story.

Guest bastaad525
He has a night job with no high level office "stooges" and lot's of down time.....;)

LARRY

hell yes I do! :D :D :D

Plus I type really fast.... 85 words per minute +

The whole time I was in high school, I figured if there was ONE elective that was necessary and really worth taking, that I would make good use of, it had to be typing, three semesters and lots of practice and you almost can't see my fingers when I get going!

about the time thing, I still thing we're not getting each other, but whatever you can believe what you do and I can believe what I do, right? It's not hurting either one of us what we choose to believe so what does it matter? Bottom line is, I took what was at one time a relatively slow, very old car, and with a bit of money time and sweat, turned it into something that could hang with and beat a modern, powerful musclecar. Timeslip or no timeslip, there is immense satisfaction in that, and in the end the satisifaction is all that matters to me. Keep in mind I'm not just estimating my car's 1/4 mile potential from one race, I"m also taking into account several things, like the average measured wheel horsepower from several dyno tuning sessions, and the known weight of my vehicle... Then there's also the fact that there are several members on this board who have or have had at some point, a setup very similiar to mine, and have taken their cars to the track and gotten similiar results. The victory against the cobra, in my mind, just sort of reinforced what I already believed it was capable of. But whatever, you'll probably tell me how even those factors don't count, but again, it's good enough for me, and I think knowing all those things, I CAN reasonably guesstimate that my car would be capable of running a mid 13, at least.

If I'm wrong, oh well, like I said, who's it hurting for me to believe that? Does it make me a liar? No... I've never said what my car DOES or CAN run, I only say what I THINK it could run. It's what I believe, and I dont see why wanting to believe that seems to bother some people.

1983, i beat a 68 mustang 302 3 speed, headers wide tires, 4bbl, with my 1978 dodge phone van, loaded down, 2 ladders on top, phones in the back, dinging, pinging and ringing as they bounced on the shelf. 3 times, light to light, back to back. on expressway, 50 mph zone, not another soul around. we touched 60 and backed off, i was one and a half van lengths out on him all 3 times. he was pissed, his 2 friends, in the car with him laughing their asses off. he was yelling at em, thought he was gonna toss em out. weeks later, i was doing a job at a high school, some guy points at the van as i pull up. i'm putting the cones out, when i hear him say to his buddy, yes it is, that's the phone truck that spanked your mustang. look how long his hair is, that's the dude. chatted a bit, that's how i knew what was up with the mustang. we all laughed, ahhh good times.

does that count as a mustang story ??? :wink:

in fairness, i have to mention ... the van i was driving then, was originally meant to be stacked to the rafters hauling company mail around san fransisco ... 318 v8 ... hd automatic, and a wicked set of 4:88 gears ... in the city, they went to smaller vans. company replaced my straight 6, 3 on the tree gmc van with the dodge ... YES !

0 to 60 zoooooommmmm ... probably topped at 85 mph ???

drove it for about 5 years, before it got auctioned off ... funny, when we were on strike a manager drove it for 2 weeks, when we came back, the right rear tire was bald .. wonder why ??? LOL ...

Guest bastaad525

that's crazy... goes to show, you never know WHAT you're up against out there. I remember one of the few times I went to the dragstrip, way before I ever had a car worth racing there, I saw the ugliest, POS '70's-80's station wagon, that disgusting throwup green that used to be popular than, completely with faux wood panel sides... one of the loudest cars there that night, and that thing was FAST. This was years ago so I don't remember the number but I THINK it was running like a 10 or a 12? It was faster than everything that lined up against it while I was there... it didn't pop a wheelie when it took off but man it looked like it wanted to.

The killer was, in typical white trashy station wagon style, there looked like there was quite a bit of crap in the back of the car, old clothes or whatever... we just couldn't believe how fast that thing was. The stuff in the back suggests to me it was a street driven car... friggin nuts....

knew a guy, wayne warner (?). had a 57 4 door chevy wagon, straight 6 292 with side draft webers, running some insane 5:16 or something in the posi. stock looking beater.

as you suggested, you have no idea what you are up against.

his 0 to 60 and stop light to stop light times were spooky fast ... cruising 1st street in san jose, he stomp all over chevelles, camaros, mustangs, challengers, cuda ... all the big horse power cars of the day ...

he'd pull over, park, lift the hood, pretend to be fiddeling with something ... all those guys with more money than horse sense, be trying to figure out how they got their clocks cleaned by a 6 banger.

BONE STOCK L28ET in a 5spd 280Z keeps up with a BONE STOCK Subaru WRX inch for inch. Tried and True.

Add the TO4B, good intercooler, decent suspension, and more fuel and I kept up with a first gen Viper on a windy road for a good run.

This is NOT BS. The Viper's engine was roaring and the rear tires were squealing when exiting corners from the BIG torque. He was driving it hard...I was driving harder than he was to keep up. My basically stock brakes at the time were my limitation. He put some distance between us when exiting corners but once I was back in powerband, I was braking into his rear bumper. My wife was a witness.