Patriot Act Update

johnc

The latest DOJ report in the Patriot Act (as required by the Act itself):

http://www.cdt.org/security/usapatriot/20050401doj.pdf

A balanced debate regarding the Patriot Act:

http://www.patriotdebates.com/

An essay that shoots down the hysteria over the Patriot Act:

http://nationaljournal.com/taylor.htm

This is not to deny that the Bush administration has engaged in grave abuses, both at home and abroad, beginning with its unduly prolonged post-9/11 detention and (in many cases) abuse of hundreds of visitors from the Muslim world. Most alarming have been the administration's claims of near-dictatorial wartime powers to seize and interrogate -- even to the point of torture -- anyone in the world whom the president labels an "enemy combatant."

But contrary to many a newspaper account, these abuses and overreaching claims of power had nothing to with the PATRIOT Act, about which so many people have cried wolf that the real wolves have received less attention than they deserve.

The guy in that third link obviously had an agenda. Even with that, it doesn't really say anything more than the links you posted before the election, other than the brilliant conclusion that

For the most part, the USA PATRIOT Act is a good law.

Damn. There it is. This guy should write for ESPN.

Still don’t like the handful of items that don’t fall under the catch all “for the most partâ€.

So let me get this straight...

We were attacked, and enacted some laws that would target those we were about 99.5% sure were bad guys or their supporters, and it worked by and large?

Gee, this can't be right, so by all means lets STOP IT NOW!

I'm in no mood for political debate... Send to hell all those opposed to the US of A! That's right, double taps to the foreheads...

Mike ( WHo has had a very $HITTY Day!)

So let me get this straight...

We were attacked' date=' and enacted some laws that would target those we were about 99.5% sure were bad guys or their supporters, and it worked by and large?

Gee, this can't be right, so by all means lets STOP IT NOW!

I'm in no mood for political debate... Send to hell all those opposed to the US of A! That's right, double taps to the foreheads...

Mike ( WHo has had a very $HITTY Day!)[/quote']

Love it or leave it.....!!! Hey Mike, I always contend that having a bad day now and then certainly makes one appreciate the good days! I hear you though, bad days SUCK!!!