HybridZ

R230 Ls1 Question...

Clive,

An r200 LSD with 3.70 gears is found in the 1987, 5th month to 1989 300ZX Turbo's only. You can't miss them, they have an aluminum finned rear diff. case/cover. If you find one in the bone yard like I did mine they can be had cheap. I paid 90 bucks for it with cv axles.

If you go searching on Ebay you can pay 400-600 bucks on average.

Mike

Thanks guys for all the info. I am about 90% sure I will go with the 94 Q45 VLSD 3:54:1. This is going from the info I got from MAS280. I guess my next set of questions will be about cv's and such.....but I will search first before I ask. A fair prive from the junk yard for the whole rear end unit should be under 200 dollars right?

PS. I still dont know how to put the faces and animation into my theards =(..I don't wanna make faces anymore with the keys. LoL.

Clive

I have done about a weeks worth of research on this rear diff thing and this is what i have as option...please let me know if i dont have this strait. I know that this has been beaten to death but any help would be nice? I think it would be nice to have the 3.7:1 gearing cuz the t56 final is to tall

1st Option-

5th month of 1987 to 1989 300zx cluch type r200

3.7:1

1 set of cv half shafts

1 set of cv adapter plates

easy swap - hard to find!

2nd Option

1991 - 1996 300zxtt VLSD type R230

3.7 : 1

2 sets of CV half shafts

1 set new half shafts

Fab front mount

Redrill Mustache Bar

new drive shaft

hard to find

3rd Option

1990 - 1997 Q45 (1990 - 1996 300zx NA) VLSD Type R200

3.54 : 1

2 sets of CV half shafts

1 set new half shafts

Fab Front Mount

Redrill Mustache Bar

New Drive Shaft

Easy to find -

any help would be nice

It looks like it is all correct to me. I have a 3.54 R200 Q45 VLSD diff sitting in the garage. I have new seals for it. I was about to junk it. It sat open in the rain at JY for who knows how long and turns alright once you break the rust loose. I clean out the garage this weekend for the move. Does anyone want it?

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like it is all correct to me. I have a 3.54 R200 Q45 VLSD diff sitting in the garage. I have new seals for it. I was about to junk it. It sat open in the rain at JY for who knows how long and turns alright once you break the rust loose. I clean out the garage this weekend for the move. Does anyone want it?

Any idea how much it would cost to ship to Bakersfield, Ca. 93309?

Back to R200 ratios. I have ran the 354 and a 411. With these cars there is no need to worry about a 354 vice 370 unless you just want more top end. Tire size will tune that ratio as well. I was running a 411 with 27 inch tires and crossing the traps at 6000 RPM in third running 11.97/8s with 1.60 60s. I switched to a 354 R200 and went a best of 11.91 with two 1.59 60s but only crossing the traps at around 5600/700 RPMS Depends where you want the power to end up I guess. If you run an open diff there is no problem hooking with the right tires and suspension but you will eventually break the pin in the diff after 50 to 75 runs if your at 375/400 RWHP. I love the open diff and am looking at a way to fab a 4340 solid steel pin to replace the current ones. The pin seems like the weak link in those diffs but a cheap fix if I can find a way to fab them.....

Terry