HybridZ

Finally painted!!! Pics!!!

Sparks280zt

Hey guys, almost a year after this project started, I finally have got it painted. After some major holdbacks like the original painter jackin me for $1000 dollars, the paint is done! The man that did the work probally has atleast 300 hours in working on this thing because it was rough as a cob. I probally could have pulled one out of a junkyard and faired better. Anyways there is only one small run in the paint, on the lower lip of the front air dam, and the doors look kinda wavy depending on what angle you are at. I uploaded some pics in my album and you can see alot of the before shots here http://community.webshots.com/album/274992883GgHXVs

Thanks guys, the painter actually suggested the color, its PPG Concept line, Viper Blue. I just cant belived this thing is painted, it sat for 8 years after my uncle just kind of abandoned it, then he gave it to me and the project started. Its my 2nd Z, but this weekend me and 240Hoke are going to start the l28et swap. Thanks for the positive remarks guys!

Thanks guys, Ed you crack me up, and as for the doors, they could look alot better, right now I am trying to hunt down some doors for it as the painter said he would do them for free. Hey Ed what is the best method for removing dust from a newly painted car? I know im not supposed to wash it or put any chemicals on it for awhile until it cures good. Oh I dont know if you can see but there is alittle orange peel on the hood, no biggie i guess

I wouldn't touch it till the paint cures up real well... then wet sanding should get rid of any contaminents that fell in the clear during spray. My friend used to use a clay bar with alot of sucess. But yeah... I woudln't touch it till you can no longer smell the paint. prolly 1 long week depending on, temp, humidity, etc.

-Ed

And yeah... blue Z's catch alot of attention from personal experience... better get a radar detector.

eeek... single stage huh

Your a brave man...

I'd double check with RacerX, but I'm pretty sure you can wet sand it like standard clear and buff. But I'm not positive on this...

-Ed

I just did a couple quick searches and it appears with your ppg single stage urethane.. you can treat it the same as base/cear , wet sand till dull then buff out.

-Ed

(revised)

Well single stage was not my first choice. I wanted base/clear but finding someone to actually work on this thing was hard, and even harder was finding someone who could do it for a descent price. So when the painter said he dosent like working with base/clear I went with single stage. It is the PPG Concept line, supposedly very good stuff as far as single stage goes. There isnt much trash in the paint really, just a little orange peel on the hood, but dont you think a good wax/buff later on might take some trash out? I wont dare say anything to the painter he only charged me $1500, we are friends though :-D

Actually Racer, I read a post of yours about single stage and I beleive you said that if the single stage had pearl in it then putting clear in the final coat was a good idea. Correct me if I am wrong? This thing is just gonna be a daily until June, then it will probally only get drove 2 or 3 times a month when I go to college. Theres not much trash in the paint, and the orange peel really isnt that bad, like I said its not a show car.