HybridZ

the need for 33 or 35 spline stub axles....

Ben D

Guest JAMIE T

OHHHH, you mean like this?!!!

z_strut_tube_3.jpg

Or this?

z_strut_tube.jpg

This isn't the final finished part, but it gives you an idea of the type of hub/stub axle it is and what is required to do it.

I will offer these for sale as soon as I've had time for testing them. And, I do mean test them...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks pretty damn good Jamie, I guess you're building these to maintain the stock 0" wheel offset. I think my idea of fixing a 200SX upright/knuckle (whatever they're called) to a reworked Z hub will mean I'll end up with a positive offset at the rear.

Cheers,

Rob

Just to be clear here the gtr and z32 have a cv axle type hub where the part that goes thru the strut housing is part of the axle. not like the s30 and z31 where there is a separate peice (stub shaft) that goes thru the strut housing and then bolts to a axle. another words the gtr and z32 didnt have stub axles.

Jamie that looks kick *** you almost wanna make me go get another shell and put the backhalve on hold (like it isnt allready) and go the route your going. But if i were to go that route i think i would have to get either the gtr rearend or a r230 and go with that. If im not mistaken the r230 is as beefy maybe even beefier then the ford 9 inch

well after a quick conversion

230 (R-230)millimeters is equal to 9.06 inches. which is alittle bigger then the 9 inch, any inputs on the strength of the r230? If you could get 33 spline axles or bigger that should be a really stout rear end!!!!! and still maintain the IRS.

Guest JAMIE T

It does come out. You can buy the hub, and then the bearing, but the way it's set-up, what I've done makes the most sense. I considered pressing out the hubs and such, but I'm in love with the idea of being able to remove the hub with bolts and not needing to press it out or worse hammer it out. Stony, thanks man for the compliments. I'm gonna run the R230. It's the best diff going for IRS. The 3.70 ratio is a concern, but like Matt said in the OS Giken thread, It will probably help alot with traction. I still think my car will run low 10's with the new head and HKS turbo's and Blitz cams. Wait 'til you see my next trick!

These are teh specs for the r-33 GTST i think they are the same or real close to teh gtr rearend and tranny specs but dont quote me.

SKYLINE R33 GTS-t (TYPE M)

Drivetrain

Transmission 5 speed manual

Gear Ratios Maximum Speed in Gears (* theoretical)

1 3.214 62 km/h (38 mph)

2 1.925 104 km/h (65 mph)

3 1.302 154 km/h (96 mph)

4 1.000 200 km/h (124 mph)

5 0.752 266 km/h (165 mph)*

Reverse 3.369 59 km/h (37 mph)

Final 4.363

I'm just following along here, no plans to do this myself. But had a quick question,

For those running the R230 in drag race conditions, does the viscous LSD perform better than the mechanical LSD of the R200s? We all know it's stronger, but I can't find a reason why the VLSD would give better launches than the mechanical one.

And for the hardcore drag racers, why stick to the IRS instead of Ford 9"? Won't the rules require you to change one day?

Owen

Guest JAMIE T

I'll answer your questions the best I can. VLSD, when heated up will stop locking both axles and will actually become no LSD if subjected to severe over heating. It will work again once it cools down. I don't mean it not work for drag racing. It actually ONLY becomes a problem when drifting. Never under regular driving conditions or drag racing or even road racing. A diff cooler would more than like cure ALL problems with over heating it. The clutch LSD does not over heat in drift applications.

For all out drag racing, a solid rear axle would be more ideal. I like the idea of the IRS for DRIVING. And, it'll work just fine at the strip with the modifications I'm making. I hope that helps.

OHHHH' date=' you mean like this?!!!

[img']http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/z_strut_tube_3.jpg[/img]

Or this?

z_strut_tube.jpg

This isn't the final finished part, but it gives you an idea of the type of hub/stub axle it is and what is required to do it.

I will offer these for sale as soon as I've had time for testing them. And, I do mean test them...

So everyone has more of an idea how these are going together here are some pics of GTR hub. someone please save these as they are up on japan yahoo and when the auction ends the pics will go away... ( im away from my computer now. naonaosaesae-img600x450-1114243021dsc07928.jpg

naonaosaesae-img600x450-1114243009dsc07927.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

Can someone confirn=m the spline count on the GTR hubs? They look smaller than mine. Also, they don't have the needed flange for mounting the 300ZXTT internal E-brake if someone was so inclined.

hey i pirated those off of yahoo japan and i cant read japanese :> the auction ends in 2 days and those pics will go away

So they may not be gtr hubs but they had r32 gtr in the title. there was also s-13 and s-14 in the title. I just needed something to visualize how those things were going together.

As far as GTR hubs and axles go i do believe those are very strong and there are sub 10 sec GTRs running the stock rearend with no problems. MATT (cheftrd) can confirm or correct that.

Can someone confirn=m the spline count on the GTR hubs? They look smaller than mine. Also, they don't have the needed flange for mounting the 300ZXTT internal E-brake if someone was so inclined.

Jamie, i will be looking at these items in the next couple of days, as soon as the guy gets them out, so will confirm then.

As far as GTR hubs and axles go i do believe those are very strong and there are sub 10 sec GTRs running the stock rearend with no problems. MATT (cheftrd) can confirm or correct that.

I've seen some low 10 sec skylines break axles, and when i went to inspect them from memory I counted 31 splines, but this was a visual inspection of brooken pieces in the pits and I didn't have anything on hand to measure or record what I was seeing.

Still waiting for word from Modern motorsports re: development of a 35 spline stub axle upgrade from the 27 spline 4340 item they have for Z31 300ZXT. They may well be able to develop a bulletproof stub axle from 300M alloy, but I would need a group buy to get the price down to around $1K US for the set. I guess too much to ask that others need to spend this amount on their Z31 or earlier Z rear ends ?

Here's some more hub pics for you.

The 4 stud is from an S13 200SX, the 5 stud is a 300ZXNA. They both have the same spline count, which I make to be 29. It might be a bit risky but I'd say that the 29 splines is probably going to be standard for all R200 equipped cars, which I believe includes the Skylines. Only the R230 equipped cars will have the big and bad CVs. I don't know whether it would be possible to adapt the 300ZXTT outer CV to a regular R200 drive shaft, I suspect it would be possible with some nice and expensive custom shafts.

hub_01.jpg

hub_02.jpg

hub_03.jpg

hub_04.jpg

hub_splines.jpg

Hope these pics are of some use to folks.

Cheers,

Rob