HybridZ

Thinking of dropping a 350 in my 280zx

Guest badintentionz

Guest badintentionz

My main question is can I drop a 350 into my 280zx shell for under 2500 dollars. This price budget includes re-enforcements, engine and accesories, and whatever else comes along. I'm not looking for 400HP but just a nice V8 sittin in my car that still has balls. I tried seaching but nothing came along the lines of price estimates.

Ahh, Grasshopper, you know not what you ask. The answer to your question is not as easy as it appears. I'm sure you could, I know I can't, unless it was a used engine/trans and my time wasn't included. Tools are a given although not given but acquired over the years, I use them for many other things. I've got about 12K invested so far with about 7.5K in the engine/trans, but who's counting?!!

I let my women buy things they want, I buy things I want, somehow in the end I have more actual "things" like a house, cars, boats, z's, guns, guns, guns, furniture, heavy equipment, semi-trucks, tools, etc, they just have less money.

A quick rule of thumb is it usually costs about 10 times the model number. 240's are the cheapest and generally can be done for $2400. 280's are slightly more at $2800. That is why you don't see many 350Z's swaps. Too expensive.

If you are really limited to only $2500 you might want to consider trading in your 280 on a 240. Should get you in under budget.

I would have to disagree with the suggestion to get a 240. He already has the shell and the only thing that is iffy (assuming he has R&P steering) on the 280zx swap is the headers which you can get from JTR for $210 or $310 depending on whether you want them coated or not, I'm not certain but you might be able to run stock truck manifolds where the driver's side exits to the rear. The engine mounts are easier to fabricate (much easier) and depending on what transmission you use it could be possible to buy the tranny mount from MSA since it uses the stock posts. Other than that it's really a piece of cake. Plus he hopefully already has an R200 rearend. One other factor is depending on what engine he uses, it is possible to run a mechanical fuel pump. That could possibly save some change itself. As far as doing any swap for a total of $2500 it's possible but not probable. Hypothetically I'll break it down and I guess see what it comes out to if you took the easy way and bought most stuff from JTR:

- From JTR

Mounts - $250

Speedo and flange - $100(?)

Radiator and mounting - $290

Headers - $180 if 1 1/2 or $210 for 1 5/8 up to $280 & $310 for coating

S&H - let's say $50

If you buy the coated 1 5/8 headers that comes out to exactly $1000

Other things you have to get:

Driveshaft and yoke - $300

Exhaust - $300 to $500 depending on dual or single out

Here's where you come in:

Getting an engine and transmission set up for $700 is doable if you were to get a used one and just run it

In reality there is no way that with these figure you wouldn't have an "etc." fund. You'll be going to the hardware store more than you think and 5, 10, 15 bucks adds up after about the 10th time.

My advice, if you don't have the money don't start the swap. You will always spend more than you plan. If you think down the line you will have more money for it then maybe. Also keep in mind that swapping engines in these cars doesn't happen overnight. At the very least I would say allow 2 months unless you're just at it everyday; and in 2 months it might be possible that your budget will allow you to spend a little more. Just think it through before you start buying stuff and with that budget stay away from chrome!

A quick rule of thumb is it usually costs about 10 times the model number. 240's are the cheapest and generally can be done for $2400. 280's are slightly more at $2800. That is why you don't see many 350Z's swaps. Too expensive.

If you are really limited to only $2500 you might want to consider trading in your 280 on a 240. Should get you in under budget.

LOL! That's hilarious! Now I need to figure out why my multiple went from a 10 to a 25x? And I haven't even started the swap yet:shock:

Let's see..... Org. purchase price $5,200...... Little add ons, design changes, other upgrades and generally being stupid $20,000..... DAMN, my multiplier is 100x...:bonk:..because there's no end in sight.....:cuss:

Just to show you how I will meet and could pass 100x...

Things I will do this year...

1) R-230 swap.

2) Brake upgrade.

3) 10 lb blower boost.

Things I might do....

1) Repaint the car.

2) Alumn. heads and cam change.

3) Remove rear bumper and add a rear kit

LARRY

I am almost done with my zx conversion and the running total is $3500 so far. I thought I would do it with like an extra $1000 after selling the car I got the LT1 from and the old turbo z engine. :twak: Check my website for the price list so far. The list is only large parts and that was $3500. Does not include driveshaft, exhaust hook-up, clamps, hoses, spray paint, custom adaptors for power steering, and alot of little things that sure do add up to alot above $3500 so far. I have not reinforced (roll bar, strut tower bar, etc.) a damn thing yet, or painted the car either.

I have around...umm... $1700 or so into my total swap (not including the car, of course), but, it's a 280Z, not a ZX. I also shopped around alot for parts. I even replaced some things that didn't need to be replaced (such as a new alternator - didn't need it, but, thought it would look nicer and a few chrome pieces here and there), but, didn't spend my money on alot of high dollar items. I'm also using the TH350 that came with the engine (I bought an old El Camino donor car for $500). So, while it is driveable and fun, I could have spent more on an O/D tranny and saved me a little work...I don't regret going the TH350 route, though. If I didn't, the car woudn't be driving at the moment because I'd still be saving up for a different transmission.

If you're not going to be putting out a ton of HP reinforcements aren't really necessary. I'd say get the engine in first and then start worrying about extras.

Yeah its possible to do a V8 swap in a 280ZX if you already have ALL the neccesary tools to do it and work at a junk yard so you can have access to all the little nuts and bolts that you will need to actually do the project! The engine and mounts are the cheap parts of the swap, its all the little stuff that will hurt the pocket book.

I personally dont think you can do a V8 swap for $2400 unless you meet the requirements above.

Guy

check out this link for what is possibly the best engineered 280zx V8 swap so far ...

http://home.earthlink.net/~dvgreimann/index.html

Funny that you should bring DAVE'S old car up....In 2003 I saw it listed on e-bay so I e-mailed him to see what's up. He said he had just sold the car to someone privately and was surprised to see it was on e-bay. The new owner wanted to make some bucks I guess. Here is a couple of quotes from him on that car.....

1.) " I know that to duplicate the car with the V8 conversion and all the special stuff on it would take $8k to $10K, but no one ever expects to recover that kind of investment in a project car. "

2.) "There are some fist size rust holes in the floor pan, including a portion

>>of the frame rail that was rebuilt with some steel straps. The motor needs

>>a re-ring job because it burns oil, but since it is a Chevy, it is very

>>cheap and easy to rebuild. I drove it for several years just like it is

>>right now by keeping the oil topped off and avoiding rainy days. In

>>Southern CA it is not too hard to avoid rain. Also, if you want to register

>>it in California, you would need to bolt up the carburetor, smog pump and

>>vacuum hoses to make it legal. It has a Holley TBI fuel injection right

>>now. I did this every two years to keep it licensed."

I thought it interesting in that his 8-10K dollar figure was two years ago and the rust problem....:rolleyesg

In rereading his e-mails he said he had sold the car for less than the $4,000 reserve price the new owner had on it and if he hadn't sold it he would of parted it out.... It sold for between $5-6K if I remember right....

LARRY

Guest 007fastZ

I have an 280zx 2+2 GL that i am doing a 350 swap in, at first i thought it would be around 2 or 3 grand and id be done, well 2 years later im 5 grand invested and havent started yet, i just keep buying the best parts thinking it wouldnt add up quick, but it did, then i started building it for higher rpm and more streetable and it really got expensive. Hopefully i will get done this summer, but i dont plan on getting out of it before i spend 8 or 9 grand.

So far i have a 4bolt main 355 balanced with a eagle forged crank, 6" forged rods and JE pistons. Dart pro 1 aluminum 202 160s, build for up to 600 lift, howards solid cam 260 268 @ .5 lift and 108 degree lob separtion, direct lube lifters, 1.5 howards needle bearing roller rockers, pete jackson gear drive, and t56 transmission. Also various little things like head bolts and gaskets, oil pump, that all have added up. But whenever i think about it being done i cant wait, but i want to do it right and plan on taking my time.