HybridZ

Another VB Flare thread... Yay!

Zhadman

Well,

Mocked up my VB flares today and I was a tad disappointed. The quality of the pieces are excellent... but they don't flare 3.5 inches in the rear or 2.5 inches in the front. Here's a mock up shot:

rearflare11ed.jpg

And from the rear:

rearflare23tl.jpg

I love the way these flares look! But I bought these bad boys so I could stuff my 11" wide CCW's and a 315/35 in there. I don't think that's gonna happen. Here's a shot from underneath:

under11uv.jpg

I know that BigJim recently installed a set of these for another member... and they came out awesome. Looking at the last picture above you can definately tell that there is not a 3.5 inch difference from the stock fenders.

If you lay them flat on the ground and measure to the highest point along the inner fender edge you can come up with 3.5"... but NOT mounted on the car.

Now... on a more positive note: I reworked the radiator support panel to accomodate the IC I bought from JamieT. Cut some holes to make is sit back inside and somewhat flush with the panel. Turned out pretty good. Some finishing touches are needed, but hey:

icshot1oa.jpg

From the Rear:

rearicshot9uo.jpg

Zad,

In order to use a wider tire all you will need to do is trim off the original fender lip. Trim both the inner and outer fender wall and weld them together at the highest point. If you leave the inner fenderwall a little longer you can fillet it and bend it out and over the outer fender for welding. Here is a pic of what mine looked like before I tore it apart to do something different.

fenderwall.jpg

The tape is metal repair tape which I was going to use to keep the crud out. IfI did it over i would cut metal to fill inthe spots that are missing after filleting the inner fender wall.

Rufus

Zhadman,

Thanks for the photo perspective. The VB and MSA catalog does not give you a good perspective until you seen the flares on a car in a good photo.

I too will be running 315/35/ 17 in the rear - and looking at what is in the market place to get 3.5 inches or wider, I found that the Pantera Group 4 flares will work. If you have not shot your budget on the VB flares, check out the Pantera Group 4 Flares, if no one beats me to it, I will document installing rear Pantera group 4 flares on the rear of my car. Check these out:

http://jacobsracing.com/group4.html

The big question is, are the Pantera Group 4 flairs steel or fiberglass?

If they are fiberglass, I don't want them since it will only a matter of time before the paint will crack due to the dissimilar material expansion and contraction rates.

Metal is where it's at baby!

Mark

The ones used in the link posted by Dudeboy are fiberglass. The pantera flares are (cosmetically) very similar to the VB's. I'm going to wait until the suspension is in place and the wheels are mounted before I move forward. I think I'm going to make the VB's fit... just going to be quite a bit of work.

Gotcha...you will pick up a good 1.5 inches in width with those flares if you remove the lip though....

You're right. With some manipulating I think I can stretch that another inch. I don't have too much time right now, but when I start the project I'll document it.

I wanted good wide steel flares also - so I had some custom made - the only way to get what you want (however my panelbeater is my older brother so this helps with the cost of these custom babies).

260z-rebuilt-mosaic.jpg

NZeder,

Custom steel flares is an option I have considered, too. Since I already have the VB's I'm just going to modify them to accomodate my wheel/tire size. It's going to be a bit o'work, but it will turn out just fine. I still have 2 weeks or so until my MML stubs arrive. I'm hoping my coilovers will be here this week so I can begin cutting them down and installing them on the struts. CCW's will be here in 2 weeks... Probably by the end of June I will resurrect this thread and post pics of the progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update:

VB's aren't going to work. I'm a tad peeved. They would work if they flared 3.5 inches as advertised. The CCW's (as planned) stick out approximately 3" from the stock fender lip. I'm going to try and get my money back on the VB's and use those funds to make my own flares.

Thanks for the link... I love Porsche's

We looked seriously at modifying the VB's to make them wider, but decided that It wasn't worth the amount of effort. If Victoria British doesn't accept the return, however, we may have to look at it again.