HybridZ

Another VB Flare thread... Yay!

Zhadman

Tim, I don't think those flares are your style. Maybe do like NZeder's style but wider. Funny looking little exhaust on that orange Z! Doesn't seem to go with the rest of the car and sad looking flares.

You know strangely enough, it does not look that bad! It's got that "grow on you" look. They almost look like the VB flairs but bigger. I admire creative people, nothing stops them, now I know why I'am alway on this site.

Hey Zhadman, if you like the VB flairs return them and get yourselfl some VW bug flairs, I'am sure they are less expensive.

Ari

Hey Zhadman' date=' if you like the VB flairs return them and get yourselfl some VW bug flairs, I'am sure they are less expensive.

Ari[/quote']

Lol... Even better: I'll go pull them off my '67! Those flares look extremely similar to VB's.

• 3 months later...

Flare Update:

If you look back on page 1 you can see that the Victoria British steel flares really only net ~1" of increased width. After several months of pondering my options (and reviewing the alternate suggestions posed by Hybrid members) I decided to modify the VB's to fit. Here are pics of the wheel/tire combo on the car (with no flares).

rearmeat5xo.jpg

kindafrontview3hi.jpg

Now... Below is a shot of the modified flare during construction. In this shot it is mocked up to show fitment in relation to the wheel/tire. I've welded in extensions that stand the flare out an additional 2" from the body of the car.

reardriver6ll.jpg

It's definately FAR from finished, but you get a good idea how much farther out the flare will be. Yesterday I scribed the outer profile of the extended flare into the body and cut out the fender well. The body was cut 1" below the scribed mark and segmented so that it could be turned up to meet the flare. 5 pop rivets were installed, fastening the flare to it's new flange. The pop rivets will stay in place until I'm ready to weld the whole thing up (including the inner fenderwell). I'll post more pictures when I can!

Guest el Jefe

I have to say that the flares look even more impressive in person with all that meat under 'em. I learned a lot working with Zhadman and his grandfather and had fun too. Can't wait to see all 4 done.

• 4 months later...

I just got my victoria british (vb) flares after drooling for months over a picture of blue Z with white stripes that has vbs fitted.

I have to agree with Zhadman, beautiful though they are, there is no way these arches are more than an inch and a half wider than stock at the back and slightly less at the front, VB should be called on their missleading advertising.

To my eye the sides of the arches are flattened and they could be pulled out a fair bit, I guess I would need an English wheel for that though.

Now that I have them, the thought of cutting the car up to fit them scares me to death, I think I will need a few stiff drinks before I put the car under the knife. :-)

Mike

theBrit,

Here's the car you're referring to (which I've managed to post twice in the same thread! That's what happens when I don't re-read things! :D ):

vbflaresmain0xs.png

My flares have been substantially modified and are much wider now to accomodate the wheels/tires.

10006760xq.jpg

10006711rb.jpg

socalpixnov050528lm.jpg

The pics above are "in-progress" shots.

Now for the bombshell!

Send your flares back and save your money! The VB flares are VW beetle flares that have been trimmed down to conform to the sides of the Z car. I'm 99.9999% sure of this as I have a '67 bug to compare them with. Before you send them back, however, make templates from them so you can replicate where the cuts have been made. Buy yourself some bug fenders(pretty darn cheap!), trim them according to your template, and put that extra cash back in your pocket (and thus, back in your car).

I have more pictures of the blue car from different angles, sweet car.

Your extensions have come out very well, but the revelation about bug flares has me intrigued!

I will have to investigate before sending the flares back, and dont know any bug owners near here which won't help. So do you mean that they are stock bug flares ? if we can prove this one, I'll bet there will be a lot more steel arch Zs in the near future, the cost of the VBs put me off for a long long time.

I can see where you are comming from looking at this picture

VWC-133-821-305-A.jpg

Mike