HybridZ

Crank Angle Sensor for L28ET

jbwetzels

yup, the 81 turbo came with a crank mounted CAS, the 82-83 turbo came with an opticla dist that has 2 outputs, one sends 6 signals and the other sends 360, or you can put the disk for a Z31 in and get 12? signals per rev, do a search and read up in the megasquirt forums, all about wiring up the megasquirt several of us are running the MS and a lot of people are running other aftermarket systems

it would help to know what your problem is, if your doing the L28ET swap the detailed instructions can be found in either the L6 or the Turbo forums, if your had a running L28ET that's acting up then the turbo forum is your best bet, if your looking to do a stand alone conversion the Megasquirt forums will tell you all about megasquirt, if you want a different system just use search, if your wanting to do the 300zx computer swap those instrustions are stickied in the trurbo forum

There is a bit of a misonception there!

The 81CAS sends 3 pulses per crankshaft revolution (120 degrees apart).

The Distributor Mounted Optical unit from the 82/83's gives the SAME output, becasue it is driven halfspeed, from the drive gear in the front cover.

What you have to realize is that the timing of the trigger wheel on the 81 CAS is already set for some initial advance from TDC, and is then trimmed with the physical movement of the CAS pickup within it's bracket.

Depending on how much advance you want, that may or may not be a problem.

Altering the trigger wheel on the 81 is a simple matter, there is a link to my cardomain page in the "megasquirt" forum in Moby's sticky.

The alteration of hte 82/83 units is like twisting the distributor and has limits also due to captive bolts limiting travel, but that is easily fixed also.

What are your plans for the systems? The outputs from both the CAS units are identical, even though the way they are triggered is different (81 uses Magnetic pulses shaped in the CAS unit to look like the optical's triggering!)

lol, yeah the turbo uses an opticla dist, with 2 outputs one sends 360 signals oer revolution and the other sends 6 signals per revolution, then there are the N/A dist's 240's used points, had a single output wire and was vacume advanced made 6 contacts with the ground per revolution, then came the electronic dist, it had 2 wires and worked like a switch 6 times pre revolution and was also vacume advanced, then in 79 came a differnt kind of electronic dist it has a littel black box mounted on it's side, which si a replacable control module, I can't remember what kinda of signal it had but it was different from the earlier one and dends 6 signals per revolution with vacume advance as well, then in 81 came the turbo car, in 81 only it had a dist that only served to attach the coli to plug wires, it had no other wiring, the motor used a crank mounted CAS which made 3 signals per revolution? adn no vacume advance! (advance = turbo=boom), then in 82 they came out with the "turbo dist which I started out with at the beginng, if your not confused now that makes one of us ;)

well i am half confused and half frustrated :) the issue i am having is that i have the turbo block, head etc, the car was previously turboed and then was removed now, the issue i have the person i got the car from is no longer around and i dont know the mechanic that was used so i have no idea if the dissy was replaced, so my question is would the turbo dissy run on a non-turbo?