HybridZ

L26 Supercharger?

Guest priest5

Guest priest5

I have been searching the net and I think I may have found a supercharger system that could work. I am not very wise yet in the ways of the almighty 260z. (I should own the 260z within a month. *does happy jig*)

I wish to know if a settup like this would work on the L26.

Arizona Z car 4barrel Manifold

http://www.arizonazcar.com/manifold.html

Holley 4150 Carbureator

Blowthrough Carb Bonnet

http://www.performancecarburetors.com/bonnets.htm

Universal Sport Compact supercharger kit

http://www.procharger.com/SPORT_COMPACT/sport_compact.shtml

The total cost would be around $3.5k :eek but this looks good in theory.

I know that there would be a lot of other stuff involved (msd-6a ignition, upgraded fuel pump, etc) But I am just trying to find out if this setup would work.

I know that a v8 would probably be faster than the supercharged L26 but I think this would be more unique. I also want to keep it as computer free as possible.

OT: W007! This is my first post on this board after a few weeks of lurking.

Guest priest5

No I didn't see that thread. It is interesting though. I only went through 2 pages of threads on this topic before posting....

Guess it wasn't quite enough. :D

That looks to be fuel injected? Wouldn't that be more complicated than a carb? It is still really cool.

Guest priest5

I like the design of the jim cook kit and the way he keeps it carbed. I like carburators. :D I am trying to avoid fuel injection. I am also curious about the cost of that kit.

on a slightly off topic question...

Would an Arizona Z car 4barrel manifold and decent 4barrel produce more power than the stock flat top SU's on the 260z? I know that webers would be more efficient in theory but I am looking at the cost issue.

Older Z's are rare wear I live so junkyard round tops are outta the question, I want something reliable and easy to tune.

I am in the process of putting together my carbed supercharged project in a 260z with a 280 engine. I have an eaton M62 supercharger off of a Mercedes SLK 230. I have looked at both draw through and blow through set ups.

The rotors on the M62 are teflon coated and gas will eat it up. But I found several articles about TR6s with this set up with no problem running a single SU off of a Jag. A 4 barrel would also work. A 280 FI intake with the injectors plugged would work fine.

I was able to score a set of triple SK racing carbs, weber clones, so will go forced induction. I have found several people who have turbo forced inductions set ups like this.

on a slightly off topic question...

Would an Arizona Z car 4barrel manifold and decent 4barrel produce more power than the stock flat top SU's on the 260z? I know that webers would be more efficient in theory but I am looking at the cost issue.

My friend, this subject has been beat to death on here :twak: . Search in the Fuel Delivery sub- forum on this topic..... Here is an example......

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=92930

LARRY

I like the design of the jim cook kit and the way he keeps it carbed. I like carburators. :D I am trying to avoid fuel injection. I am also curious about the cost of that kit.

the jim cook kit is injected, it uses a throttlebody type injection system and the kit even includes the harness and computer, I'd have to geuss that the a carb could be put in place and you'd only need the intake and charger assy, might make it affordable to carb it

edit: I gotta learn to type

Jim Cook Kit hasn't had a carburettor offered in the kis since the 80's!

They went to the Holley Pro-Jection (or whatever the first generation four-barrel throttle body system was called, it was Analog) early in the 90's (90 I believe).

Then the kit went out of production for a while, and when it came back they split the kit in to supercharger and manifold, and the injection kit, after finding no interest inthe components combined. The digital Holley system worked much better then the old system, but so many other alternatives for EFI existed aftermarket, Sandy figured it wasn't worth their effort to package it together---with all the liability of selling a "complete kit" entailed.

So JCR does produce a kit that mounts the supercharger on a dedicated manifold that fits under the hood. The EFI is up to you! The Supercharger does utilize a four-barrel mating flange simply as a holdover from the early design of the kit, and the second generation of the kit using the Holley Throttle Body.

Many of the successful campaigners of that kid use an 80mm T/B from a Q-Car or whatever mounted on a simple adapter plate. Simple is as simple does! LOL

Oh, forgot to mention. The price point was not conducive for sales in the Z-Car marketplace.

Originally the second generation kit was around $3400. The firstgen as closer to $2800.

When they went back into production, the manifold and supercharger cost alone, retail was close to the cost of the complete analog EFI kit: $3400!

So then is when Sandy decided to split the stuff up. The Holley system added another $1500, to $2000 Retail cost to the kit complete. Imagine the overwhelming response for a $5000 supercharger kit for vehicles that sell for under $1500 complete...

Most people by the time it went back into production had aftermarket ECU preferences, and they were smart to realize that and offer the components.

• 3 months later...
Guest SeanCSH

Hi this is my first post, I plan the very some upgrade,

Arizona Z car 4barrel Manifold,

Holley 4150 Carbureator

Blowthrough Carb Bonnet

and some kind of Universal supercharger kit, or one of those old mustang superchargers, from the old ford stright six made by paxton I think.

but I'm staring with a stock f54 block, and a stock p90 header, from a 82 l6 turbo motor running stock compression of 7.4 . I'm doing all the other up grades like msd, and a a oil cooler but I dont wona chang the pistens.

I plan to run pump fuel.

I wona know what is the max boost I can use I'm think 10 psi would work but should bring it down to like 8, and if I should use a intercooler with this set up. And is there any thing I should look out for? What about the vacum boost brakes and hoseing, will boost mess with it.

any way I will like the Idea of supercharging a carbed motor, it will help pep up of the line speed and it should not mess with my mpg if what I read is true. I plan to use the car as a daily driver after the rebuild, Any feed back would be cool.

Check this our some of your answers

http://www.superchargeronline.com/hp_calculator.asp

1) On a stock 5.0 with ~9:1 static compression it is found that a non intercooled supercharger can run a maximum of 9psi of boost without detonation. The effective compression is ~14.5:1 and 320 peak rwhp is produced.

2) Same engine/supercharger combination but with low compression 8:1 pistons installed. It is found that a maximum of 13 psi can be run without detonation. Effective compression is again ~14.5:1 but significantly more air is allowed to enter the combustion chamber. Peak rwhp is now 380. In both cases the same octane fuel is used.