HybridZ

This one takes the cake..

Jersey

Yesterday while sitting in traffic, windows down, i hear..

"hey... what kind of car is that?"

We get this a lot here in Jersey so i wasn't too surprised. I look over to answer the usual "'73 Datsun 240Z" but before the words come out, i happen to notice his car. I looked it up and down about three more times just to make sure i was right and yep, it really IS a 350Z this young guy is driving. I look back and answer "seriously???" with a grin. He replies without a grin, but with a puzzled look "uh.... yeah, seriously" I really didn't know what to say because i thought he was just kidding, but he WAS serious. I reply "This is the car your 350 got it's roots from. It's a '73 240Z" He still has the same puzzled look on his face, studies my car a little more, then says "hmmm"

I just pulled slowly away, shaking my head, basically laughing inside. That was funny stuff. BTW - I meant nothing against the younger crowd in this post. This knucklehead just happen to be young :)

Guest SeanyD300zxT

being part of the younger crowd...

I'm personally annoyed by the new generation of z owners...but not specific to young guys.

I now work with a guy..has a brand new zed in his driveway, beside his brand new pathfinder and titan (what the hell..I know)

'nissan just came out with this car a couple years ago'

*sigh*

but, you don't need a history lesson to know its a great car I guess...

the latest and greatest crowd, no respect or even knowledge of heritage.

just wants a "hey look at me" car ... probably never lifted the hood, wouldn't know how to check the oil ...

but, i'm betting he can play a dvd on the media system ... LOL

8 tracks ... hell, i once had a car with a 45 rpm record player under the dash

another one ( well it was my younger bro's but i drove it, he had his 1st car at 14, but no lic ) it had a 4 track tape player ... muntz stereo pak ...

Don't get me started about the 350Z crowd... I just came back from a trolling run on Airbase Parkway, main road to TRAVIS AFB , and a 350Z cames up on me like a bat out of hell. When his front end was even with my door I let my HOLLEY blower loose and gave him a good "spanking". We came up to the next light and I gave him a wave but he now had his blinders on......:D.

LARRY

i agree ... the chrysler fire power or the aston martin vantage are more along the lines of what a generational 240z should look like.

the 350z has no lineage, other than parent companies ...

but, as suggested, it's not related to the 240z, it's nissan's mitsubishi eclipse ... i feel no kin to it when i see one ... just another nondescript blob rolling down the road ...

i liken the 350z to the 78 through 82 vettes ( that said, i do like the 82 ) ... i'm a vette fan ... but, chevy quit making vettes between 78 and 82. real vette fans refer to corvettes of those years as plastic pigs ... i think of the 350z the same way ... Z in name only ...

but ... as nissan surveyed past and current 240z owners, testing the waters for likely buyers ( then failing to deliver what they hinted at ) ... presenting the 350z as the grandchild of the 240z ...

one wants to think, that the people buying the 350z might know something of the 240z ...

I dissagree.. I think the 350z is more like the old Z (s30) car than the late model 300zx's!! As for the name drop, well, it was ALWAYS Nissan anyway... ever look at the valve cover? :lol: The '350z crowd' IS a little bothersome though.. Most have no clue at all.

I can't see any recent "close calls," and doubt there ever will be. But then again, I never thought I'd ever see a "good" retro of the late '60's Mustang either, so there is hope, but sadly, Nissan threw all their "Z" eggs into this one basket, and (for me) it don't cut it.

I agree with Sparky, the JDM Silvia s15 is the closest decendant to our s30 Z: its a relatively light, high powered, affordable sports car. Heck, it even looks more like a Z than the 350z does. But that doesn't mean I dislike the 350z.