HybridZ

LS1 Fuel Tank

Bartman

I've done a lot of searching and I know there are quite a few people that are running the plastic LS1 F-body fuel tanks (jeromio, mas280, SSflyer, maichor, Briguy280Z, MAT73GNZ, ...).

I bought a complete 2001 LS1 Trans Am fuel tank with straps, pump, wiring, and hoses; and I want to install it in my 73 240Z to feed fuel to my LT1 engine. I'm looking for any information you guys have learned that can help me out with this install. A couple of my specific questions:

1. First, would anyone be interested in fabricating the mounting brackets (it looks like most of you are using the same or very similar ones)?
  2. Will I need to remove my spare tire well? Briguy280Z mounted his tank without removing it, but maybe that only works on 280Z's. mas280's pic's looks like it wouldn't fit without removing the spare tire well.
  3. Any modifications needed to the fuel pump/sensor unit (from what I've read, I will need to rotate it approximately 180 degrees). I can't find the post, but I seem to recall someone posted making modifications a while back.
  4. Wiring information/diagram. I don't want to buy another FSM just to figure out the wiring for this tank.
  5. Fuel Gauge - I already have an Autometer Speedo, so I take it there is an Autometer fuel gauge that would be compatible with the built in GM sender?
  6. What's the best way to connect to my existing lines. I would like to use my existing supply line (appox. 3/8") and the existing vent line (approx. 5/16") as a return line. I'm using these now with my stock tank and ZX fuel pump. Maybe I shouldn't use my existing lines and just replace them with new lines?
  7. Anything else I haven't thought of.

As always, any information is appreciated.

For those of you looking at performing this same conversion, Here's a thread that has a lot of information.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96151

The part that was gutted was the regulator. My engine has a regulator on the fuel rail as well, so maybe I need to do this gutting as well?

My tank should be arriving this Thursday, so if any of you running this setup can provide me with any information I would appreciate it.

Bartman,

I though you were still using the stock 240Z hard lines. If so the fuelk feed line from the original tank is 5/16" and the vent line you're using for return is something like 1/4".

If this is the case I'd run new lines from the new tank to the engine bay so that you are guaranteed to never have a problem with fuel starvation.

If I'm wrong just ignore this post.

Wheelman

Can someone let me know if I really need to gut the regulator or not?

Would it hurt anything if I have one on the fuel rail and another in the tank on the return line?

Wheelman,

I don't think the fuel lines will limit my fuel flow enough to make a difference. If I'm wrong here, someone let me know; it seems to be flowing fine with them in my current setup.

2. Will I need to remove my spare tire well? Briguy280Z mounted his tank without removing it, but maybe that only works on 280Z's. mas280's pic's looks like it wouldn't fit without removing the spare tire well. On my '73 I had to remove the spare tire well.

3. Any modifications needed to the fuel pump/sensor unit (from what I've read, I will need to rotate it approximately 180 degrees). I can't find the post, but I seem to recall someone posted making modifications a while back. You can rotate the lines to which ever direction you need them. You'll see when you get the tank.

4. Wiring information/diagram. I don't want to buy another FSM just to figure out the wiring for this tank. Simple, one plug for fuel pump, one for sending unit.

5. Fuel Gauge - I already have an Autometer Speedo, so I take it there is an Autometer fuel gauge that would be compatible with the built in GM sender? Yes. Get one that will work with a '01 LS1 TA.

6. What's the best way to connect to my existing lines. I would like to use my existing supply line (appox. 3/8") and the existing vent line (approx. 5/16") as a return line. I'm using these now with my stock tank and ZX fuel pump. Maybe I shouldn't use my existing lines and just replace them with new lines? From what I have recently read, the stock lines are capable of handling up to 500 or 550 horse power. I'm just running new lines.

Since you have a regulator on the fuel rail, you must gut the regulator inside the tank. It's not to hard I think I just used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. Once you pull the unit out of the tank, you'll see how everything works and where everything flows and to what. Make sure you read that Racetronix link I posted (in the link above) to understand how the fill bucket works.

!M!

Since you have a regulator on the fuel rail' date=' you must gut the regulator inside the tank. It's not to hard I think I just used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. Once you pull the unit out of the tank, you'll see how everything works and where everything flows and to what. Make sure you read that Racetronix link I posted (in the link above) to understand how the fill bucket works.

!M![/quote']

Thanks for the input. I read your Racetronix link, and it does provide good information about how the fill bucket works. It sounds like I should be able to cut off the spare tire well, mount it up temporarily, connect everything and then get it to someone to make the permanent brackets once I get it all working.

I got the tank and I''ve already removed the old one and cut out the spare tire well.

What can I use to connect the factory fuel lines to my hard lines?

Jeromio's web page still states that "The connection of the plastic ends to the aluminum hardlines is yet to be worked out", but his conversion is done now.

I'm wondering if this item will work, but I can't find much information about it.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?1549

Bart,

Go to a local hydraulic system supply store and tell them what you're doing, they'll be able to set you up with the parts you need. Be sure to have the correct sizes and material type for the tubing you need to connect or it won't work.

I went to my local store and they set me up with 250 PSI rubber tubing for each end of the fuel lines and the correct fittings to tie it all together. I was thinking I needed to use stainless braided but was informed that unless I really wanted it to look nice it wasn't required for the pressures we're dealing with. Ended up saving myself lots of $$$.

Just be sure you know the sizes of the tubing, I'd even take the fuel pump module from the tank and a small chunk of the factory lines if you can.

Wheelman

I got the fuel tank mocked up and ready for metal brackets. I removed the spare tire well and used a couple of 1x2's and some threaded rods to hold it in place. Here's some pic's:

LS1tank.JPG

LS1tank2.JPG

Since the fuel tank lines are nice and long, I didn't even have to rotate the fill bucket to orient the lines toward the front of the car. I cut the end of the lines off and connected the nylon tank lines to my existing hard lines using a couple of "air line hose solid brass coupler hose barb type", hose clamps and fuel injection hose from NAPA. It turns out the ID of the lines factory fuel tank lines are 5/16" and 1/4" exactly the same as my original Datsun lines. I also gutted the regulator since my LT1 has a regulator on the fuel rail.

It runs great and there's no fuel pump noise. The wiring is a breeze; you only need the wires from one connector, two for the fuel pump and two for the gauge. All in all, a nice inexpensive and fairly simple upgrade.

:D

I removed the old filler and vent assembly for the Z, and was able to get the filler neck from the new tank to fit nicely. All I need is to get a hose that's about two inches longer, and I'll be set.

I haven't read in anyone elses LS1 Tank swap information about being able to use the LS1 filler neck. Not sure why mine works, but it even fits without having to bend the hose much at all:shock: .

Mat73GNZ,

I don't have any more pictures of my adjustable control arms, but these were custom made by Tim240Z.

• 2 weeks later...

llingI got myself a Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 100 and fab'ed up a couple of brackets.

TankBrackets.JPG

I used C channel instead of steel tube to help keep the weight down. I still think these will be plenty strong enough. Don't look too closely at my welds, this was my first attempt at welding:redface: . I don't have a picture yet, but I got the stock LS1 filler neck installed as well.

I take it the oem evap tank is no longer used, right?
Yes it's no longer used; in fact I removed all the emissions devices before I made the final installation. Removing the evap tank, helped me install the tank a little farther to the rear of the car. I wanted to install it as far to the back as possible to help allow as much room as possible for accessing the rear suspension and routing for exhaust.

bartman' date=' glad to see the ls1 tank finally has a good home [it didn't like that trans am much anyway']. keep us posted on your progress. btw, what diameter fuel lines will you be using?

david

Thanks David, I'm very happy with the tank and appreciate your quick shipment and careful packing.

I'm just using the stock supply line (approx. 5/16") and the stock vent line for my return (approx. 1/4"). The fuel tank install is essentially complete (still need to make a cover for the hole where the spare tire well used to be) and now I can finish my exhaust.:)

bartman' date=' let me know when the beast is running and if you feel the factory feed & return lines are sufficient.

thanks![/quote']It's running now and the lines are sufficient. It was running with the factory lines before the fuel tank swap as well (with a ZX fuel pump). I think there are several other people running stock lines in similar applications wihout any problems. Maybe you can verify this, but the ID of the tank lines appear to be the same as my Datsun lines where I connected them together.

• 4 weeks later...