HybridZ

Can't get my u-joints out!

rudypoochris

OMG i can't get the u joints out of the half shaft knuckles its on a r200 from a 76-78 280z can't remember the exact year, we got the clip ring things off and hit it with a rubber mallet till we were blue in the face, do we need to lube it up or is this a non-removable u-joint like ive been hearing about recently?

I just got my new halfshaft joints in the mail today for my 78 I jacked her up took off the wheel and had me a look. I'm going to try to perform the operation on wednesday on one halfshaft and friday for the other because those are the only days I dont have an evening class so I'll have the whole afternoon to do it. If you have any insights into this process please share them with me this looks like it's going to be a challenge!

The U-joints are pressed in. You need at least a 10 ton hydraulic press to remove/install them without damage. If you do not have a press, then just take the axles and the new u-joints to your local automotive machine shop. It will be money well spent.

The U-joints are pressed in. You need at least a 10 ton hydraulic press to remove/install them without damage. If you do not have a press, then just take the axles and the new u-joints to your local automotive machine shop. It will be money well spent.

You do not need a 10 ton press. I bought a kit from Harbor Freight about 6 months ago and am very pleased with it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38335

BTW, Summit had the exact same kit listed at something like $150.

I have used both a bench vise and a large C-Clamp and couple of sockets to change out U joints. I had an old Dodge Van back in the early 70s that had a habit of blowing u-joints. With a C-Clamp and a couple of sockets I could change one out in about 30 minutes on the side of the road. There is nothing complicated about replacing them.

A vice and a careful selection of sockets will work. Use a socket slightly smaller than the u-joint to push the u-joint out of the shaft's yoke with the vice. On the other side use a socket large enough and long enough to entirely accept inside the u-joints opposite cap. Remove the u-joint retaining clips that holds the u-joint at each end to the shaft's yokes. Place the u-joint/shaft in the vice and align the correct sockets on each side of the u-joint caps and tighten.. The small socket will push the u-joint cap thru the shaft's yoke and the other side of the u-joint will be pushed inside the larger socket. Once the caps are about halfway out... they will come out easy..... to replace is more difficult since the u-joint caps contain needle bearings.. Press in one side of the cap with the ujoint and shaft in the vice.. Have the u-joint seated as much as possible inside it's cap that you are pushing in to avoid damage to the needle bearings. Once you have the cap pushed into the yoke as far as possible. Align the other cap to the shaft yoke and press in slightly . There should be enough of the U-joint caps in the yokes to align the caps to the joint ends without damaging the needle bearings. This last step is critical due to damaging the needle bearings and is where I have made mistakes such as " kinking" by not taking time. a needle bearing or (twwwo) As mentioned before.... a shop may be your safest bet.... especially if you got some $ in the joints and some auto part stores may do it for free if it's their parts and you can observe how it is done on a press which is similar to a vice.