HybridZ

My 3 inch exhaust is finished :):)

EZ-E

It is unbelievable how much better it sounds now and how it seems the car runs faster though I know well it probably is, but not by no great effect.

I love the sound through the Dynomax muffler and its a great mellow tone with no droning effect either, just nice pleasant deep and mellow.

I had to do a bit of cutting and welding and cuting and fitting pieces and even though it was a bit of a daunting task at times it at least to me had come out really well, I think its a good job at least.

It is late now and even though I wanted to get some pictures I had to drive it first, but as soon as possibly Ill post some pics of my exhaust.

To anyone with a turbo that hasnt gone 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust I would highly recommend it just for the sound and the flow effect, It seems that the turbo spools without even knowing it. Boost just comes right on.

hehe Im like a kid at a candy store Im so excited.

Doesn't that suck? You spend your valuable time finishing your project (or part of it) and when its finally done, the weather decides not to cooperate?

Oh crap, I shouldn't of said that, now I gonna get a rogue snow storm...:twak:

Screw the pics, drive it hard when you first get a chance!

Mario

haha That is always the way it happens though isnt it. actually the worst part of the whole ordeal was getting the pipe to fit nicely under the axle and over the crossmember. In the end though it all came together nicely

I got a few today hopefully I can get it up in the air to show you guys but there is like 3 in my gallery, dont make fun of my welds lol I know Im not the greatest but I gave it my best effort

EZ, was it real tight to get the 3" pipe to clear everything over the crossmember without rubbing? I'd like to see some more pics of that if you ever get the chance to snap some. That would really help some ground clearance issues i have. Damn speed bumps. lol. Congrats on the 3". Here's a shot of mine from a while back...

3inch.JPG

Getting it around or over the crossmember and under the axle but close enough not to rub was the hardest part but the part I wanted to take the most time on because of like you I didnt want to have ground clearance issues.

Getting threw the corssmember was a bit of a pain but there is enough room, about 3/8 of an inch on either side if you weld it in the right spot that is.

I went first with the dp, then out to where I wanted to be, then set up the muffler and started my way back.

I know I was working backwards but it was the only way to see how it was going to turn out without having to cut and weld again.

Here are some more pics.

ex5.JPG

ex7.JPG

ex6.JPG

ex4.JPG

The last one there you see the amount of room there isnt, I still have to tack on my hanger that connects to the top of the diff there to keep it pulled to center betwenn the crossmember the diff and the body of the car.

Ground clearance is a non issue, everything is up and doesnt come below the frame rails at all.

That is something Im proud of. Only complaint I have is that its a bit to close for me to the transmission and Im trying to think of a way to keep the heat off from the tranny, any suggestions there.

I was thinking of a manifold blanket or something I could wrap around it. Just dont know at the moment.

By the way yours looks really good, I wish I had the skills that Im sure Ill learn to weld as good as that, eventually

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bastaad525

god I wish I could weld and had a welder... oh and a place to work... heheh

Nice job though, who cares if the welds aren't all perfect.

Two questions, it's hard to tell from the pic... are you still using the stock DP?

Also, are you running the Dynomax Bullitt?

I met up with another Z guy a couple months ago who did 3" off the stock DP and used that Bullitt muffler... I had been wanting to hear one for myself since I was planning on using that one as well. We BOTH agreed though that his car was a bit too loud... so I'm kinda unsure if I still want to go that way. It was quite a bit louder than my exhaust with only a glasspack on it.

It is a Dynomax but not a bullit but a canister type with a larger then 3 inche inner diameter.

It is a bit loud but not to loud and very throaty.

I used a cone from the waste gate which was 2.25 to 3 inch then 2 90* bends together for the dp. I really cant weld well at all but figured Id give it a try to make it work. It does work though there are a few small leaks that I have to grind and reweld but all in all its pretty decent and I saved a bundle by doing it myself.

I wanted to grind down all the welds and make it right but the garage I was using was getting a bit ansy for me to finish so I didnt have the time.

I just got myself a Mavica digital camera off ebay, it also takes short movies so when it arrives Ill see if I can make a video so you can hear how the exhaust sounds Bastaad.

Both my cousin and i are running 3" all the way back to a Dynomax Bullet w/perforated tube inside (basically straight through) On my Z with the stock T3, it sounds pretty good, throaty, not loud and you can really hear it spool even with just a little throttle.On my cousins Z with the same exhaust setup and his T3/T4, it's much louder. A bit more than what i'd want for a daily driver. I'm not sure if the Ultra Flow's with the baffle and glass wrap inside help the sound level but, if they do and you've upgraded your T, i would think that would be the way to go. Just my .02

Thanks, I would like to have made it much better then what it looks but I guess that you cant get anywhere if you dont try and work and practice to make it right.

I agree that it is great muffler and I love the sound, and it seems to not have changed over the 3 years Ive had it and it was on the car from the previous owner. So there is no telling how old it really is.

You know Sleeper you are totally right as well. you can hear the turbo spool without even getting on it at all. Just in normal driving you hear it like you would the tractor trailer next to you, when he just pushes the pedal. That nice whrrrrrrrrr from the turbo.

Like I said, doing the work isnt that hard, the hardest part was all the cutting and fitting. Mostly becuase I was looking at it this way, you can always cut more off if you need to, but you cant put it back lol.

Thanks for all the compliments guys, on my first real big welding project.

You know Sleeper you are totally right as well. you can hear the turbo spool without even getting on it at all. Just in normal driving you hear it like you would the tractor trailer next to you, when he just pushes the pedal. That nice whrrrrrrrrr from the turbo.

I love that sound! :-D

Sometimes in the right situation I hit the gas just enough so I can hear it.

Yeah it is a great sound isnt it. LOL I remember one night I did that next to a Hyundai shark aka tiburon. The boy in the passenger side goes oh **** did you hear that.

Got to love the boost. :D

EZ-E,

Congratulation.. How much did everything cost? I didn't see alot of couplings. I hope you have enough couplings for easy removal. I did my 3" Cat back pipe with JeffP's dp recently too. I could have helped you measuring all the bends especially the one over the rear Xmember. I added a coupling right after it coming down from the rear cross member so that you don't have to remove the driveshaft to take out the rear pipe. Good job though..