HybridZ

Can Anyone ID this 280zx Body Kit?

I found this picture while searching the net today and instantly fell in love! Have any of you ever seen this car before? Is it a one-off or was it produced for racecars or something? It looks similar to some of the first gen kits out there but the car is obviously a ZX. The website I found it on was for Trans Am racing and said the car was raced in 1983 by P.L. Newman. I'd greatly appreciate any info, especially more pics. Thanks.

zcar.jpg

it is the later (82/3) Camel GT KIT ( IMSA GTU) , it is the electra motive car but with a twin turbo v8 it!!!! ( something is told about this car in 'how to modify your OHC engine' )

However i have some more pics

roadatlanta100483.jpg

Newman.jpg

if you decide you will make this kit COUNT ME IN!!!

here is one with some more 'ad ons' i dont really like still not the full 'GT kit' you have found ( note the headlight buckets)

Pocono-1983-09-11-083.jpg

however here you go

v8turbozedit.jpg

v8tz2edit.jpg

The first picture I posted shows the body I'm trying to find out more about, so far I know it was raced by Newman Sharp racing in 1983, probably longer, in IMSA GTU and Trans Am. It was later rebuilt with a Twin Turbo Nissan V8 as seen in the last 2 pictures that frank280zx posted. The number 83 Electromotive car ran IMSA GTO the same year the car in question was running GTU. The electromotve cars have a distictly different body that flares at the body line about 4-6" down from the fender tops. The #33 car, that I'm looking into, has flares that continue all the way up to the tops of the fenders. The electromotive cars also have various vents and scoops built into the fender flares while the #33 car has a smoothly blended body. I posted the pic of the #83 car for comparison. I'm not acctually researching it at this time.

The second picture that frank280zx posted has thrown me, while it is the same car it looks to have the similar rear flares to the electromotive cars. I'm confused.

I think its funny how racecars evolve like that. Every race they are a little different. so I'm not totally surprised that this one has some drastic changes.

Some more pics:

sharpz4.jpg

Portland-1980-08-03g-033.jpg

Mid-Ohio-1983-07-17-033.jpg

I Love the paint scheme on this one! Definately ZXR inspired. Notice the "ZX" on the rear quarter panel? (could use a bit of color though)

Lime_Rock-1984-05-28u-095.jpg

If you guys remember the Z-car magazine, the summer of issue of 1997 had on the cover the twin turbo -V8. In 1997 Bob Sharp was storing this car and several others. They were up for sale then including the imsa 240/280 Z. The bodyparts (fiberglass) for the ZX's were made by a company called MEI. I do not know if this company is still around. Also, a small footnote- a few of the turbo inline sixes and turbo V8 motors are lying around somewhere ?????

:roll: The picture is of the Bob Sharp's race car. He still owns the car. You may be able to contact him and ask him where he got them or made them. The car has some great history of racing. Good Luck, Rich.

Bob may have one of them. There is also one on the market right now. Baldwin Motors in Louisiana has one. It is a Turbo ZX. His website seems to be down, but they should be in the phone book. Baldwin also has a nice 510 Vintage racer too.

Alan