HybridZ

engine made a funny noise today

Since this is the "my car made a funny noise" section...

Today, I was at a stop sign and I accelerated from the stop to about 5000rpms in first gear. Around 3500rpms and up to 5000rpms it sounded really raspy and louder than usual. When I stopped again and accelerated, this time calmly, the engine stumbled a bit. I drove home carefully and It sounded like a slight miss above 2500 rpms. I popped the hood in the driveway, and checked out everything, nothing I could tell was obvious. So I drove the car around the neighboorhood, getting on it and the raspy sound was still there but there was no miss afterwards.

I hope that was enough information for someone to give me an idea of what could be going on.

thanks.

-Oliver

I'm starting to think its vapor lock, because I removed the heatshield off the intake manifold and i'm running a header now, and it's really hot over here now. I noticed it only happens at low rpms when I accelerate more than 1/2 throttle. Freeway cruising is no problem and it seems to get worse when I'm at a stop for a while. That's why I think its vapor lock. Also the other day I touched my fuel rail and it was too hot to touch for longer than a second. Does it sound like vapor lock? I have a pallnet fuel rail ready to install, but i don't know if that would help with this problem. I'm going to have to insulate the fuel rail and see if that fixes anything.

-Oliver

Ollie.. you need to put your heat shield back on... that's how mine caught fire. Are your headers wrapped? Are you running advanced timing? all that can cause that rail to get hot. Especially in our scorching houston weather. The temp gauge in maxima for ambient read 100 degree today!

Jegs makes some insulated sleeves for fuel lines and they have free shipping right now.

-Ed

• 1 year later...