HybridZ

steering troubleshooting

my 78 280z steers like a barge, and it's like pushing a barge to get it to do that much! Naturally I know it does not have power steering but even then it shouldnt be this hard to turn the damned wheel, I can not drive without both hands and forget about turning the wheels when the car isnt moving it is IMPOSSIBLE. What are some things I should check?

*edit*

also looking for a replacement hose that goes between the passengers side rear drum and brake line that has failed does anyone know the dimensions of it or where they can be found online cheap?

these are the stock size, 16s I made the mistake of being in a hurry to drive this thing and went to wallyworld for them. 4 douglas tires, worth their weight in used toilet paper but they were cheap. One blew out on me the day after I bought it :S

The tire pressure is good though this thing has always been a bitch to turn thats what the previous owner said, I crawled under today and looked at everything I could find attached to the front wheels and found some rather dead looking bushings as for lubrication I could find no trace of it haha where should it be? I'm not experianced with these things but I'd love to learn so bear with me :D

Worn bushings will increase turning effort. You get so much slop ein the rubber that you invest a lot of effort loading and unloading the rubber pieces as you turn the wheel. Another thing to replace is the rubber steering coupler. Get rid of it. Put in a urethane one (or do as one guy did and drill out a hockey puck). My 240 went from requiring both arms to maneuver in my parking garage to turning with the palm of one hand. The difference (with 195 street tires) was unbelievable.

I hd a similar issus with my Z31 years back I thought my rebuilt rack had diead way to quickly, closer inspection revealed taht one of the U-Joints in the steering column had kinda siezed, so every half rotation it got real tight then would free up again, picked up a better shaft at a junkyard and worked great till I had to get rid of the car