HybridZ

Ls1 serpentine belt

Im looking to only run the alternator and water pump with my Ls1 was Not using power steering or air conditioning was wondering if anyone else had run a ls1 like this and could advise blet length or idlers i might need to fit to make it work alternator will be in std position

Be great if someone could advise who makes short belts or idlers needed to make this happen

Thanks Mick

i have 2 images i found [one from joey] and the other i'm not sure where i got it. i'll try to upload them both...also, here's some verbage i found earlier when searching for the same thing.

"[How to set up the ls1 without a/c or power steering. Essentially only the water pump and crankshaft pulley. The a/c uses a separate belt, so you can’t bypass it, you can only remove it, but there is no point because the ac disengages at WOT, but you CAN bypass the power steering pulley for a noticeable gain in performance.

With this shorter belt, a Gates brand belt, #K060520 [may be a carquest part #] route the belt around the tensioner, under the water pump, around the alternator, under the crank, back up to the tensioner.

First of all forget about the a/c, its a separate belt. leave it alone, don’t touch it. As for the main serpentine belt, swap it for a shorter belt when you race. Route the belt as usual but skip the idler and power steering pulley. It should only be wrapped around the: tensioner, water pump, alternator, CS pulley, enjoy!]."

david

ls1 front drive pulley no ac ps routing small_thumb.JPG

no ac ps belt routing small_thumb.jpg

Yes, pic on the left is mine and I believe pic on the right is Dale's. That was early on in my project. It has now slightly changed. The way it was didn't have enough tension on the waterpump. What I did is kind of the oposite of Dale's. I added a SLP underdrive crank pulley, My tensioner is in the stock location and I added a pulley from Goodyear (where dale has his tensioner). I can provide Goodyear part numbers for those interested (don't have them handy right now) :malebitch

JOEY :cheers: (i just learned how to use smilies)

O.K. Found them......

Pulley GOODYEAR # 49003

Serpintine belt GATES # K060525

Remember the belt will only work with the SLP underdrive pulley!

Hope this Helps

JOEY

p.s. On the pic, I'm not the most computer literate person and I don't know how to post pictures but..... My set up looks identical to Dale's with the exception my tensioner and idler are swapped :roll: