HybridZ

Can I change shocks without taking the brake lines off?

Invest in a combination 10-12 mm flare nut wrench and dis-connect the brake lines because unless you have very long brake lines you will not have enuff reach to arc that strut assembly out far enuff for strut cartridge removal. Bleeding brakes has been the least of my problems in this operation if the struts have not been removed in quite awhile... those inside thread gland nuts on top of the strut tubes like their position so well they want permanent residence by virtue of a rust homestead requiring some skills with a torch

I don't remember exactly why, but when I replaced the struts all around on a 1975 Z, I did have to unhook the rear brake hoses. However I did not replace any of the bushings back there. Just disconnected the half shafts, brake hoses, and tilted the strut out.

you can, but it's going to be a pain in the ***. I'd just wait until you do everything: brakes, struts, springs, bushings at once. It'll make it much easier, and you can install braided SS lines in place of stockers, and upgrade your brakes while you're at it (syndrome)

:)

i just removed my rears. Easy.

Remove gland nut, DS and upper strut mount. Brakes intact. Tipped the housing out and slid the strut past the fender wheel well, just barely though.

If you have flares I don't think you could pull it off that way.

I just did the same thing with my rears... removed the clips that hold the brake line in place, dropped the suspension and leaned it out the side. I swapped the springs and struts on the car and reinstalled.