HybridZ

240sx S14 subframe vs. Z32 TT for 240Z swap.

Guest badhobt

Guest badhobt

Hey guys I've been searching in the archives and found a few people have done the full S14 rear subframe swap in a 240Z. I actually have both a 95 S14 and 90 Z32 TT parts cars at my disposal with full intact suspensions. I wanted to know if anyone has attempted to swap a Z32 rear suspension setup into a 240Z. I have upgraded and fabricated many things on my 240, but it seems that I would definately be better off with a much more well designed rear. Especially since I do use the car for road racing quite a bit. Anyhow, I am actually looking to do a rear end swap for a LSD, but it seems that swapping the entire subframe would probably be much cheaper in my situation than buying adapters and cv axles and so on. ALso does anyone know how much weight the R230 will add? It seems almost too large, and therefore Im leaning more towards the S14 setup. Any advice? L28 turbo approx 250+ whp.

Guest Battle Pope
Hey guys I've been searching in the archives and found a few people have done the full S14 rear subframe swap in a 240Z. I actually have both a 95 S14 and 90 Z32 TT parts cars at my disposal with full intact suspensions. I wanted to know if anyone has attempted to swap a Z32 rear suspension setup into a 240Z. I have upgraded and fabricated many things on my 240, but it seems that I would definately be better off with a much more well designed rear. Especially since I do use the car for road racing quite a bit. Anyhow, I am actually looking to do a rear end swap for a LSD, but it seems that swapping the entire subframe would probably be much cheaper in my situation than buying adapters and cv axles and so on. ALso does anyone know how much weight the R230 will add? It seems almost too large, and therefore Im leaning more towards the S14 setup. Any advice? L28 turbo approx 250+ whp.

The overall design of the S14 and Z32 rear suspensions are very similar, if not the same. The main difference is the stronger components in the Z32.

Guest JAMIE T

Unless your planning on a W-I-D-E body kit then look elsewhere for suspension upgrades. 250hp is nothing for an R200 diff and stock type suspension. John C. can tell you how to set it up for maximum effectiveness.

Otherwise, if you really just need a project, then try it. I considered it. But since my car is slightly flared(ZG's), I would have had to take so much out of the middle of the crossmember that the diff would not have fit.

Z32 and S13 rear parts are almost all the same... RUCA, toe link, traction rod are the same, not sure about RLCA. Upright is the same except for where the shock mounts to the upright (S13s can use Z32 shock, S14 can use R33 shock... or Z32 lower fork on a coilover), and the Z32 upright is aluminum versus the S13/S14 steel. The difference is the subframe itself, and the Z32 NA uses an R200 that will work in an S13/S14 subframe (need 5-bolt j30 axles though), vs the Z32TT R230. Don't know which of you guys have S13/S14, but if you do you probably know all this already, I'm just throwing it out there as specificly as I can type it at 2am for the benefit of all the other people reading :D

and since I don't have an S30 of my own yet, how much wider would the track be with an S14 subframe? I know the S14 subframe is wider than the S13s by an inch or two (forget... it's been a while since I read that; some guy crammed an S15 subframe into his S13).

Guest badhobt

The reason I was considering a full subframe swap is because of the need for a good LSD rear. The rear suspension seems like it could definately use an update. After doing a couple of changes to the rear setup already, (sway bar, brake upgrade, diff mount upgrade) it seems I would benefit from actually going to a newer design. Seems like it would be cost effective also considering I already have those parts. Im runnin the mid 200HP levels right now, but plan on running higher numbers. I just havent yet because traction is already an issue, So I figure I would consentrate on that first. I would like to get a solid LSD unit, but seems like the good ones are in excess of $1000. ANd since I have the parts, it just seems like it would make sense to update the rear setup.

I believe the S14 rear tracks about 5" wider than the 240Z rear. That would work out perfect with the ZG flares I plan on running.

Guest JAMIE T

Huh? ZG's only add 3" to the overall width of the car. Unless your talking Works flares. Too much work for too little gain. IMHO.

Well remember that the S13 rear track is about 2" less than the S14 rear...

I would like to get a solid LSD unit, but seems like the good ones are in excess of $1000.

Nismo 4-pin clutch LSD is $750-$800, S15 helical LSD with output flanges can be found for about $700.

• 1 year later...

Any progess on the Z32 IRS and diff swap? I'm looking at doing this in my Z this summer. I'm doing a set of YZ rear quater panels so these seems like the most cost effective route to get what I want:

-Updated IRS

-R230 Differentail

-CV conversion

-5 lug rear

-rear disc

Anyway, I was just wondering the track width of the Z32tt?

Regards,

Justin

I'm in the process of fitting a S14 rear subframe under a 280ZX right now. Its a lot of work and getting the alignment right is a bit of a worry as is getting it high enough, one of those jobs where cutting corners can save a lot of time but may result in a unsatisfactory conversion.

Personally I don't think its worth it on a S30 unless you are going to be putting a lot of power through it.