HybridZ

Another TT383 Chevy Race Video

This is a 6.48 at 109.5 mph 1/8th mile dragrace video from Irwindale Raceway. The run is slower than usual because I let off the throttle just before the finish line.

Then the track was shut down for quite some time because a Racer hit the guardrail and smashed his car. The driver was ok but the race staff was paranoid (due to liability issues). After the finish line, the track lanes are offset and not totally straight. In the past I have seen several racecars swap lanes when trying to brake and turn to stay within their lanes. I have also inadvertently swapped lanes in the past at that location. Thankfully, I was always way ahead of the car in the other lane and thus avoided a collision.

Ok, so my next run was a 6.30 at 112mph with 1.40--60 ft time. Since this is the equivalent of a 9 second quarter mile run I was told to go home. Been there, done that, no big deal. Wow, this time they hunted me down in the pits, like a wild animal. Then a tech staff members physically ripped my Racer's Wristband from my wrist to make sure that I don't attempt another run. The scene was so comical that I had to laugh, even though I felt humiliated. Since I do hope to race there again I controlled myself and did not say," Do you really think that just two of you are going to be able to get my wristband off me????"

I'm hoping that it was only the crash that got everyone uptight and I can return in the near future to race again.

Hanns

http://album.hybridz.org/data/509/5-26-05_6_48.wmv

Guest zfan

Good run but I don't know about that track. Kind of screwy way to it set up.

Any control issues and katie bar the door! You would be sharing space with your neighbor.

Mike

Awesome! :cheers::):hail::hail::hail::2thumbs:

That looks like a a jet coming off a carrier catapult!

Personally, I'd get bored running 1/8th mile. But if it's close and good for tuning, what the hey! Luckily I have 2 1/4 mile strips within a 1/2 hour of where I live.

Pete,

Unfortunately there is a very pervasive NIMBYism attitude on the left(ist) Coast. As the population has exploded into the desert and back 40s, many of the tracks have had to close down because of public complaints. From my house, it is at least 2 hours in any direction to a full 1/4 track. Irwindale (1/8 where Hanns goes is about 45 minutes). You lucky dog have 2 tracks so close.

quote:

Personally, I'd get bored running 1/8th mile. But if it's close and good for tuning, what the hey! Luckily I have 2 1/4 mile strips within a 1/2 hour of where I live.

Pete,

interpetation is everything ...

just like reading things into the bible code, and nostardama, one needs to check all the signs and hints, to discover the hidden meanings of the message.

Personally, bored, close for good

I get the hidden message you are sending me ...

last time we wrote, you indicated you had to bump the price up from 2500, to around 2800, maybe 3000.

i can get the check in the mail ASAP. are you still at the same address ? should i fly out and drive home, or use a transport service.

thanks for the secret coded message, one i know you intented for my eyes only.

sorry to hear that you are now bored with your z and, closing your interests for it.

but, it is of course, after waiting, i think 5 years, this is very exciting news to me !

i can't believe it, my hands are trembling and heart is singing ... i envision my 1st trip will be down highway one, the pacific coast highway. start in frisco and head south.

no worries, i will take excellent care of the z !!!

feel like i just won the lotto ...

wayne

Guest 73LT1Z
...my next run was a 6.30 at 112mph with 1.40--60 ft time. Since this is the equivalent of a 9 second quarter mile run I was told to go home...

I've seen the pics of your car & it appears to be a legal car (safety equipment). What is the issue between the 6.48 & 6.30 and the extra 2.5 MPH (not familiar w/ 1/8 rules)?

...this time they hunted me down in the pits, like a wild animal. Then two tech staff members physically ripped my Racer's Wristband from my wrist to make sure that I don't attempt another run...

I'd be PO'd w/ them big time if you can't be treated like an adult.

Wow, nice run! I too enjoy seeing your videos. Thank you. BTW, your video quality is really nice! I could watch it at half screen (full is 21", 1600x1200) and it looked excellent! What camera are you using to create the video so smooth without pixelation?

Joshua

Hanns' date=' I can't wait to line up next to you!!! :shock:[/quote']

Tim,

That's ok with me, so long as you get the screwy Right Lane at Irwindale.:twisted:

I have seen a number of Race Z's that are faster than mine and than yours will be but there is plenty of room at the top for very fast "Street-Legal" Z's. So don't agonize over flares...... get that Monster on the road.:)

Hanns

I've seen the pics of your car & it appears to be a legal car (safety equipment). What is the issue between the 6.48 & 6.30 and the extra 2.5 MPH (not familiar w/ 1/8 rules)?

Any 1/8th mile run faster than 6.40 seconds or 1/4 mile run faster than 10.00 seconds requires the following by NHRA :

1. Driver must obtain and pass regularly scheduled FAA certified Physical Exams.

2. Roll Cage tubing thickness must be .138", and must be certified on a regular basis by licensed personnel to verify welding standards have been met and installation meets NHRA specs.

3. Window net needs to be installed and Battery relocated to trunk if 135 mph exceeded in 1/4 mile.

4. Driver must wear full or 2 piece fire retardent Race Uniform, Neck Collar, Gloves, 5 Point Harness ( replaced every 2 years ).

5. Driver must obtain Competition License by making several runs over a 2 day period and then having a qualified person attest to the driver's capability.

That's all I remember right now but I'm sure there are other requirements.

I drive my Z on the street, and occasionally race it. I don't want to run 8's in the quarter mile, just smooth 9's. I don't have a hood scoop or decals, just a little sleeper. I can meet all the requirements except for the cage ( .098 Thick ). Guess I'd better save some money for a legal cage before I'm banned from all the Drag Strips.:x

Hanns

Guest 73LT1Z

1. Driver must obtain and pass regularly scheduled FAA certified Physical Exams.

2. Roll Cage tubing thickness must be .138"' date=' and must be certified on a regular basis by licensed personnel to verify welding standards have been met and installation meets NHRA specs.

[/quote']

Found #1 interesting (FAA). Is this in case you go +1 or higher AGL? :D

The "wall thickness" specs are of interest to me since I want to roadrace my TA in Nevada at some point. It seems like the "rule" always requires something thicker than what is available, thus costing big $$$. In the fuel cell thread I posted in earlier, the requirement is .036 steel wall or thicker, and all the cells I looked at were 20 gauge, which equates (as best I can tell) to .0359.

Just noticed your name & couldn't resist throwing this in:

Hear me now & believe me two weeks later!:

I'd say your car is pretty pumped up :).

What camera are you using to create the video so smooth without pixelation?

Joshua

Joshua,

I'm glad that the quality of the video is good. My original video is so much better but I must compress it in order to be able to post it without creating such a large file. The original 32 second video clip is actually 112 megabits.

The camcorder is a 7 year old Sony recording on digital mini-tape. I'm surprised it's still functioning in light of the many dragstrip rides it has made while looking out the windshield of the Z and monitoring my gauges in the dash.

Hanns

Guest krescent

MAN I WAS THERE!!! ur camera man was a lil on the older side right?? MAN I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO HIM!!

lol, next time i see u at irwindale i'd like to talk to u about your car

-sean

Sweet!! Man I can't wait to get my beast on the road now. Unfortunately I am still waiting to have my shop built and the car is gathering dust in the storage bin. I should be back on it this month with a vengence. Once the suspension and brakes are done the twin turbos will come. Rick