HybridZ

Turbo LS1 or LT1?

Well, first of the lt1 is better suited for boost than the ls1. the lt1 head is a traditional SBC head with 5 head bolts per cyl. the ls1 only has 4. The LS1 make alot of power NA and on nitrous. Building an lt1 is cheaper than an LS1 for power. and Opti sparks tend to go out real quick if you rev the motor hi alot. these are all things to consider i'm sure there's more but i'm hungry and have to go eat lunch.

Check LS1 tech in the FI section alot to learn about Boosting the LS1 engine.

Guest el240z

Hey guys I was thinking about a turbo ls1 in a 240z for a long time and this is what I came up with so far. The 6.0 truck manifolds put on backwards which would make them face forward, and then all we would have to do is make piping for the hot side. Now what I am wondering is how much clearance is there between the front of the engine (ls1) and radiator for turbo clearance, and also if the 6.0 truck manifolds would clear without any interference using John’s mounts.

On a side note you can make a lot of power through a LS1 boosted. You can even buy a forged short-block ready for boost for around 2300.00 or go the stroker route which is more. A lot of people are making insane power with the LS series engines all you have to do is search LS1Tech.com. Personally I will be going turbo LS1 if possible.

Guest el240z

This is true that the LS1 is a high compression motor but you can always lower the compression and build the motor for a boosted application. I have seen on LS1tech.com that a well built 346 can make over 700hp and stroker motors that make even more power then that. It all depends on how you build the engine and how much money you want to spend. One thing nice about the LS series engines is how fast the aftermarket seen is growing, and how many options are available to customize it for your needs.

Guest Jasonv8z

Coming from an LT1 owner, I'd say go for the LS1 if you can afford it. The LS1's intake and heads are superior to the LT1. The LS1's heads flow so much better, particularly on the exhaust side. You'll be making more power with less boost. The LS1 is also lighter. Both are high compression engines. I suppose the LT1 does have an iron block, but how many people have actually broken an LS1 block?

You can boost an LS1 the same as an LT1, both are running high comression. The LT1 is running 10.5:1 and Im cant remember what the LS1 is exactly...

The LS1 is with out a doubt a better engine from every stand point. It also costs more, but I think the extra cost is worth it down the road. The LS1 just keeps getting cheaper to buy parts for.

Guy

Get on the Procharger website. They sell an intercooled centrifugal supercharger that is a bolt-on that can get you to 700 HP. You'll have to change injectors and a few other things to get there but it doesn't require internal work. At that level, though, I'd be seriously considering it.