HybridZ

ZX Intercooler Install

I didn't know whether to put this in the Tech section or in car talk. I decided car talk so that some of the people who have custom fitted ICs, but don't have a 1st and 2nd gens would see it and comment as well.

I have the large Isuzu NPR, which I know has been installed in Zs and ZXs. I have a ZX, and these are the only photographed installs I can find:

Rated's Datsun:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/318371/4

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/318371/5

Slownrusty's:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84737

The least intrusive install is slownrusty's, but his large NPR has different end tanks and mounting points then mine:

Mine:

Isuzu%20NPR%20diesel%20large%20%28core%20502x375x51%20tot%20686x381x51%20slang%2070mm%293.jpg

slownrusty's:

13821244.jpg

Rated's install says that after all the cutting he did, he felt front end flex, probably from cutting the top radiator support.

Any ideas or other installs? Should I cut off the top and lower tabs on mine and have come up with another way of holding it?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mario

I have the large NPR on my 82' ZX. You do not have to cut any supports. I ended up cutting off the end tanks and repositioning them a little and welded it back on with a tig welder. The front lip will have to be cut away quite a bit until it fits in there nice. I ran my pipe just like ratedZ did and have had no problems. I am using a 90" silicone elbow off the turbo compressor side and Vibrant couplings all around. The cold side pipe will pretty much be straight on when you reposition the end tanks. Here is a pic when it was finished and welded. Of course I made it look nice but that's the easy part. Goodluckmini-DCP_4883.JPG

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I may have figured out a way to be able to run both pipes outside the engine bay.

Just in case, AnTmanS130T. can I have more pics, like of your brackets (especially the lower ones).

Slownrusty, I already answered you in a PM this moring :)

My positioning as of now will require cutting of the front lip, but that OK. I will post pics ASAP because I need help designing good solid brackets. It is also angled like slownrusty's install, and the bottom is at the level of the lower cross member. I will be running ABS pipe for tubing for a mockup, once they are glued and in place, I will be taking them to a shop to replicate them probably out of steel.

Thanks,

Mario

As you can see I just used the mount that is on the top of the intercooler and ran a bracked from there to the actual car. I also put a metal beam under the intercooler so it sits it up a little higher than the lip in case of running into anything such as a curb so it will just damage the lip and not smash the intercooler. I drilled a hole on each side of the beam and then attached it to something underneath. mini-DCP_4864.JPG

Thanks a lot for the pictures. So yours is actually above the lip?

Did you cut off the lower tabs to do that? I don't think mine will clear the hood unless the bottom tabs are cut off or unless if they are underneath the lower cross support.

Can you post a picture from the front of the car so I can see the height relative to the lower cross member?

Thanks again,

Mario

The bottom tabs were grinded off. The intercooler sits almost exactly where the top of the lips starts. Sorry for the blurry pic but I hope that helps. I have a bunch of other pics if you have AIM or Yahoo hit me up AIM / Hallucinationed1 and Yahoo / ant_feelgud I can help you out with any info you need or more pictures.mini-DCP_4865.JPG

The pics are in my gallery.

Don't mind the clothes hanger on the bottom, it was just to hold the IC in place while I moved it around.

In this config there is just enough space for a 90 deg elbow on the far side to bring both pipes through the same hole.

I really like the idea of a bar and that might be an easy way to hold it firmly in place.

Mario

Mister Antman.. Look like you don't have much clearance under the hood. By the look of that pipe coming over the radiator hose I am sure it will rub your hood. Make sure you double check that carefully...

Mario,

Do your best to put the air filter in front of the radiator.. I had this IC before and I sold it to buy another unit that will help me run the pipes a lot cleaner. I am getting a headache just looking at all the clutters in the ZX engine compartment and then add the IC pipings.. lol.. Goodluck buddy

No I do not have any clearance issues nor rubbing. That route works just fine to be honest with you :) That was an older pic when the motor was just put in and we still had a ways to go. It is actually pretty nice and clutterless now. Soon it will be running full potential :twisted: ...

Once I get the interior put together I will be starting work on my IC. I'm still torn between tilting it like I have it mocked up and having both pipes run through the same hole, but for ease of install, I might go Antman's route.

Right now my air filter is directly behind the headlight casing. I bet if I build a box or a heat shield it will be just as good as having it outside.

Mario

• 2 months later...