HybridZ

Strange R200 behavior?

JustChou

Hello...

I finally got around to taking a look at the rearend of the 260. The former owner tells me that the former-former owner swapped out the diff for an R200, and a visual inspection confirms that. I attempted to try to determine the gear ratio using the technique found in another thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=90162

Problem was, when I tried to move the passenger tire, it wouldn't budge! I put down the e-brake, and the driveshaft is loose (not in a tranny) so it should've moved. Experimenting, I then jacked up both sides and tried to move both, to find that only the driver's side was moving (passenger's side stayed still). What are some possible issues, and how can I fix them? Also, are there any other ways to determine R200 gear ratios?

Have to second the frozen parking brake or possibly wheel bearing for one wheel not turning .

The method for determining rear gear ratio should work fine with one wheel frozen. I assume the driveshaft yoke turns when you spin the one good wheel. If not, just scrap the whole mess now.

I'll put $5 on the stuck brake drum too.

With the car in the air and one tire stopped, place a chalk mark on the diff pinion flange and the free wheel/tire. Rotate the free wheel one revolution and count the revolutions of the pinion flange and divide by two. To get a more accurate indication rotate the free wheel 5 times while counting the pinion flange rotations and then divide by 10.

Eazier done with help from a friend. I always have trouble counting multiple things at the same time.

I agree on a stuck/too tight drum.

I have never had much luck determining gear ratio of non-LSD axles this way. The Spider gears ratio rotating around the side gear acts as a multiplier. Depending on that ratio, you can get a screwy result.

If you are really anxious to know ....drain the oil and take off the rear cover plate on the diff ..rotate the big ring gear until you see some numbers stamped in the edge facing you... "39:11" is a 3.54 and 37:10 is 3.70 and any thing under 37.10 is either 3.90 or 4.11 an while "you are at it" switch to rear discs, snug that diff down, instal coilovers, install poly suspension bushings all the way around and change the radiator cap.

If you are really anxious to know ....drain the oil and take off the rear cover plate on the diff ..rotate the big ring gear until you see some numbers stamped in the edge facing you... "39:11" is a 3.54 and 37:10 is 3.70 and any thing under 37.10 is either 3.90 or 4.11 an while "you are at it" switch to rear discs, snug that diff down, instal coilovers, install poly suspension bushings all the way around and change the radiator cap.

Yeah, that ought to about cover it. :)